Stonks & Bonds. lol fundamentals, sir this is a Taco Bell

That is P in this equation:

P = (what_i_have_now /  what_i_put_in ) - 1

I started a new job in 2019 and this is allocated something like 70% SWPPX (Schwab S&P 500), 30% FSKAX (Fidelity total market). This doesn’t seem to be mathing very well based on what I thought returns were over this period. I started in August 2019 and was limited on the amount of contributions I could make to this account because I had already stuffed a fair amount in the previous employer’s 401k. I do think it could just be a sucky sequence of being under-funded that fist year, then go into the Fundamentals Don’t Matter bull (April 2020 - 2022) without much in the account so it couldn’t grow a ton, then 2022 happens and it reverts back to even, and now we’re climbing back out of that.

There are still quite a few competitors. DoorDash, grub hub and Uber eats are there but there are some smaller competitors and a few regional competitors.

Although I don’t think anyone is in good financial health delivering food and groceries. As for groceries Walmart uses a company called spark in most of the country and it is a much better service that costs much less. There is no markup on items and you pay a flat delivery fee or get free delivery with a Walmart plus subscription. I think this is where doordash will lose out. I used to doordash from Kroger (Kroger was white labeling doordash) but I think they are working on their own thing as well.

Yeah ideally you want a V pattern so your contributions are happening during market dips. 2020-2022 was an upside down V which means you were making a lot of contributions at the peak

:harold:

Thankfully my previous savings had some fun.

yeah i wouldn’t worry too much about short term returns over the long run it’s all going to even out.

in other news stonks are back on the menu

I have used uber eats a couple of times for this reason

Get out the burbs and move to the city. There are like 30 restaurants no more them 4 or 5 blocks from house!!

Psh, as if I can afford a house in the suburbs. Im a Xillenial

I think that’s me too. Xllinial?. Born in 1974.

I don’t remember anybody making a big deal about the generation x. It wasn’t t really a thing, we were just the children of hippie draft dodgers.

I think that puts you firmly in gen x. Xillenials as I have heard are those who grew up with their childhood years being pre-internet and their formative teen years being during when internet was widespread. Ive read the cutoff is if you got your first internet connected computer before age 8 you are millenial and if you got your first internet connected computer after age 15 you are gen X. Those in the 9-14 age gap of first internet connection are Xillenials, so youd probably be just outside. First widespread AOL usage is generally considered to be 93-94. Generally 78-84 or so Is Xillenial country

1 Like

I didn’t get the internet until grade 7 at age 11 and was born in 86 (so 1997). My family was upper middle class and I think we were only about a year behind most people in the neighbourhood.

I started college in 98. The dorms had Ethernet connections but no one knew wtf that was and they had to send out FAQs about which computers could handle it.

I was all over the Commodore 64 BBSs in junior high. Does that count for something?

3 Likes

Same, born in '76.

Born in '67 didn’t own an internet computer until after college, '91 I think. Can remember seeing 2 computers at WSU that weren’t light boards. Always identified as Gen X as I have none of the assets of a boomer…

I was also born in '74 and have always considered myself firmly GenX. I didn’t have internet access until '94 when I was in university.

I always heard of Xennials as '76-'84.

I actually think we had a lot of unique advantages. We learned to use technology when it was bad enough you actually had to understand something about how computers worked to get anything out of them.

1 Like

Never heard the term Xennial. '79 and I’m an X, come at me.

1 Like

You can identify with whatever generation makes you feel special, precious little snowflake

4 Likes

I dont know about the labels but similarly I’ve felt there were some advantages basically growing up just as technology turned into the internet.