Star Wars, Marvel and the end of Cinema

2 Likes

I guess Ill just have to ignore you since you just want to make sarcastic posts with an asshole tone.

There is absolutely no need for it in this discussion.

We are not discussing anything high stakes enough to put up with you being an asshole for absolutely no reason

There is lots of evidence mid budget adult films don’t get made now because of comic book films.

Thats my issue.

1 Like

Remind me what you consider to be mid-budget these days

I think sharing said evidence would further the discussion.

I think supply and demand also goes into what films get made. People want to see big budget blockbusters so studios put those out.

How much demand is there for “mid-budget adult films”? Seems like Sinners and OBAA did pretty well. If there were no Marvel Studios, how many more movies like those would be made?

A few making various related points. And please skip the supposed gotcha if someone find one point in one of these example articles that counters, some point made earlier in this discussion.

That varies year to year and as this phenomenon has progressed. See the articles above.

You would know better than me what might be considered mid today?

I think mid budget adult films don’t get made because of economic issues that exist whether or not they make comic book movies. If you take away comic book movies, studios would just make some other action/thriller movies that have more potential for a high ROI in international markets, not more mid level adult films.

It doesn’t matter what my definition is. It matters what you think it means, so I can let you know whether that’s realistically considered mid-budget. You’re talking about a particular type of movie, and I want to see what that is overall. Try to guess what you think mid-budget is and then give relatively recent examples of movies you feel fit under that.

As a starter, both Beetlejuice Beetlejuice and Sinners are on the high side of what I’d usually define as mid-budget.

1 Like

40-80m

I would say Blumhouse and Saw movies destroyed the industry more than the blockbusters. They’re always trying to find the cheapest movies they can that can make the most money. They aren’t out looking for $50 million movies to capitalize on. They’re looking for $1-5 million or less movies they think might make $60, 70, or $100 million.

Speaking only for myself, I only go to movies in the theater if it’s something I want to see on a big screen. To me, a movie like Sinners doesn’t lose much by watching it at home on a large flat screen with surround sound.

With movie prices what they are, I’m only going to a couple of movies a year. I can wait for the others to stream.

I think with inflation, the number is probably closer today to $65-90 million for the movies you’re looking for (I’d have said $60-70 pre-pandemic for this). $40 is still considered relatively low budget ($25-40 is in this range). Anything below $15 million is tiny buget, but I don’t think there are a lot of movies being made for $20 million.

Usually, with some tweaks they can get a $35 million production value script down to $25 million with creative locations and tax credits. Those same types of tweaks can be made for a $20 million movie to get it below $15 million. I think for the lower budget movies, the range is usually between $3-5 million with $5 million being on the high side. With digital filmmaking and creative use of stars, locations, and tax credits you can make it look a lot more expensive than that. There isn’t a whole lot that’s good coming in under $3 million, from my experience.

1 Like

Sinners is a perfect example of a movie that is dramatically better on a big screen. The bigger the better in this case. It was a small scale film shot on IMAX 65mm (never been done before). It’s too bad you didn’t get to see it in IMAX.

I don’t even know what version you’re able to see on a TV screen because there were so many versions based on what type of theater it was. It was made to be consumed at all levels, but it was built to be seen on the biggest and best screen possible. Now that it’s won cinematography, that should be an even bigger incentive for you to see it on the big screen if it ever gets re-released.

1 Like

We definitely don’t agree on this point. Every film is orders of magnitude better in a theatre imo regardless of how good your home setup is.

Film is meant to be seen communally.

I look at it as the industry changing and the blockbusters and cheap movies benefiting from the changes that made mid budget adult movies less viable, not the former causing changes that priced out the latter.

Then your real enemy should be streaming services, not comic book movies.

To further this, here are some examples that fit your range that I’ve revised up a bit:

Sinners

Marty Supreme

A Quiet Place: Day One

The Garfield Movie

Air

The Bride

65 (never heard of this)

Five Nights at Freddy’s 2 (low side of this range below it but still think it applies as mid-budget)

The Alto Knights (also low side of this range but still mid-budget)

How many of these types of movies are you hoping for per year?