Star Wars, Marvel and the end of Cinema

Titanic irrevocably changed the movie industry from $80 million A-titles to $150 million A-titles in a matter of years. To get back to this discussion, Star Wars was a very low budget movie, which should be considered a massive part of its legacy.

If DVD hadn’t come along and saved the industry, the post-Titanic decision to go high budget may have destroyed it. You cannot comprehend how much money DVDs made the industry between 2002-2006. Probably at least 100 titles made the studios over $1 billion in profit each.

3 Likes

I saw Star Wars at a theater with a massive sound system in 1977. I was 10 and it was pretty cool. I thought ESB was a pretty good sequel and RoTJ was meh until the eWoks dropped out of the trees and overdid the cutesy teddy bear bullshit. Completely ruined the franchise imo. Everything after that was trash. Jar Jar Binks was a complete Mr. Bean ripoff imo and I hated him. Did the actor who played him deserve death threats? No, but ffs what a useless character. My wife made me see this in the theater completely against my will and the best part of the movie for me was when the kid in front of me spilled a one pound bag of m&m’s into the row in front of him. Such a satisfying sound.

I checked out some reddit threads on this and got 3/4 of the way through one before I realized they were all playing a video game and most of the comments were about that. Lots of ewok hate in sprinkled in there too.

1 Like

This kind of reductionism doesn’t add anything to the debate. Star wars was cobbled together references to B movies and things like Kurosawa before it which were themselves referencing films before then back to the 7 basic plots told over campfires before agriculture.

The Ewoks are great, bunch of Viet Cong teddy bears fucking up the Empire and almost roasting Han Solo alive, I don’t get why people hate them.

5 Likes

You may think it’s reductive but his post was A++.

2 Likes

It’s fun sure but doesn’t change anything in the discussion we are having.

It was a bunch of stuff I hadn’t thought about when watching the movie that is very accurate. It’s like a DVD special feature. It provides added value to the discussion.

1 Like

I mean who’s being reductive? But I don’t think you’re entirely wrong, it’s just Star Wars is doing what you’re saying in the best possible way.

Agree with this actually. Jedi easily second best Star Wars film and Ewoks one of the better parts of it. Somebody told me once that the original idea was a planet full of Chewbaccas and I think that it was a good switch. I am famously a huge Chewbacca fan but we only need one of those guys. Although I am curious if all the Chewbaccas have bizarrely crossbow shaped laser guns or if he is the only Wookie weirdo who owns one. I hope the latter.

1 Like

My biggest problem with Star Wars is I’m not ten years old anymore…

2 Likes

Sure but pointing out a different causal variable doesn’t negate the existing ones. This is obviously a complex system with many causal variables. My point all along is that the birth of the blockbuster teen focused IP is one contributing causal variable to the problems we see in the industry today.

What of Chewbacca is an Ewok with a growth hormone disorder?

Now that you mention it, we have all just been taking Han Solos word that he is speaking in his native languange and not just howling in horror or pain.

1 Like

If only they had a protocol droid who could translate Shyriiwook.

Is your problem that they don’t make enough movies that you want to see anymore or is the problem that the movies that you want to see don’t make the top ten anymore?

cobbled together references

That isn’t a bad thing.

1 Like

He liked OBAA and Sinners, so I don’t think it’s b.

1 Like

1 Like

Well, at least we’re making some progress from blaming a single movie for all of the ills you see surrounding Hollywood. Maybe next up we can examine whether your personal feelings are the best metric for the quality of Holllywood’s output, and then ways that blockbusters can, in fact, increase the amount of films you like!

Let’s examine this claim.

The 1960s biggest films by box office gross, in order:

Huh. Fair number of childish movies with simplistic morality. Maybe Clovis meant the 50s?

Top 3 all cartoons. Huh.

Top 4 all cartoons, and a fair amount of simplistic morality in the rest.

After racism, shocker, another cartoon! Not to mention the super-grown-up Wizard of Oz, King Kong, and Tom Sawyer.

Conclusion: Hollywood definitely had no idea that marketing to children was profitable before Star Wars.

5 Likes