Star Wars, Marvel and the end of Cinema

Oh I have MAJOR beefs with streaming and especially Netflix. Netflix sucks big time. But that’s a different thread. :upside_down_face:

It really feels like your beef should be late stage capitalism is killing the film industry, not comic book movies are killing the film industry.

4 Likes

I’m not sure you’re right about this. It’s much harder to hit the right ROI on an $80 million good movie than it is on a $15 million good movie. A24 has lived in the $15-35 million range, with some hits and some bombs. Any time they go higher, they usually lose.

The way to look at it is that a movie that costs $80 million, if marketed properly, is a $160 million movie. That means you’re looking at $170 million to break a little ahead. Not a lot of movies make $200 million (OBAA made a little over this on a much higher budget and it was properly marketed), which means your profitability is lower. Now make $100 million on a $15 million movie and you’re golden. Even that isn’t that common, and I’m not in the mood to do that kind of research right now.

The problem is that the vast majority of movies that are in the below $5 million range do not make money either. The biggest budget movies would be much better served lopping $100 million off all the budgets to start, because there’s no way you can convince me a movie needs to cost $400 million rather than $300 million. Or $300 instead of $200 million. That is an absolutely tremendous amount of money that allows you to basically do anything on screen you want with today’s capabilities. All the rest is fancy play, in my opinion.

1 Like

I can’t have a beef with both?

Maybe, but I’m not going to 50-70 movies a year. So I pick the ones I want to see on a big screen and wait for the others.

For you maybe. I hate watching movies in a packed theater. People talking, getting up for bathroom breaks or to buy popcorn annoys the shit out of me. I go see movies at a weekday matinee to avoid the crowds.

3 Likes

I don’t have a number but the relative number is dropping compared to all films being released and that’s my concern.

To me, it seems like it’s increased in the last 10 years.

Those articles suggest it’s dropping. The one cited a 10% drop year over year from like 27% to 15%.

I saw Creed the last day it was available in a theater near me. I was alone in the theater. It was glorious.

1 Like

What articles? I don’t see any links

I took a date to a movie on a weeknight and there was only one other person in the theater. I totally ruined it.

She told me after that she would have had sex with me in the theater if it wasn’t for that guy sitting behind us.

1 Like

Sex in a theatre sounds awful. It’s gross and dirty and there is really only cowgirl possible which is the worst position. :winking_face_with_tongue:

Where does OBAA fall into this? It looks like the budget was between $130 million and $175 million. So big budget that might break even?

8 Likes

I looked for topline analysis in all the articles, and didn’t like them. The bottom 3 all listed $15 million to $70 million as mid-budget. That’s absurd. Absolutely nothing below $40 million is mid-budget and any older movies need to be adjusted for inflation (Sicario and La La Land would have been considered low budget not mid-budget). The Shawshank Redemption was a low budget movie, not mid-budget, as were most of the movies described on the lists I read. You gotta start from proper definitions to begin raising points, and those articles don’t do that.

The top article had mid-budget at $50-100 million. I think that’s more accurate, but think $100 is too high. Anything $100 and up is high budget, in my opinion. Really $90 is. See what Sinners accomplished on that budget. Great cameras, great lights, superior crew, great music, and it was shot on IMAX film which is expensive af. You can accomplish a ton on $90 million and anyone who says you can’t is lying.

It’s a big budget movie that lost a ton of money, but Minecraft and Sinners saved it.

Some people prefer their sex to be gross and dirty. Are you kink-shaming them?

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m calling bullshit on this. A film is a recording of a performance. Whether you see the film in a crowded theater or an empty theater, with 200 other people or no other people, you are seeing the same performance. If you want to claim there is some magic about a bunch of people laughing at the same joke or something go ahead, but it doesn’t change the joke. Let’s not pretend that the movie experience is the same as seeing a live performance.

3 Likes

IMO no home setup can come close to a theatre in terms of visuals or sound and a huge part of the experience is the communal laughs, screams or tears. It makes the whole thing infinitely better.