So you can just have your account nuked and then come back like it never happened here?

I guess it’s a little early for a Friday, but this seems like a pretty terrible precedent to set

3 Likes

I was honestly thinking about having all my posts deleted and then coming back. It feels like it might be somewhat cleansing.

Uh, because it allows anyone to vandalize threads and ruin active conversations whenever they want

1 Like

The main problem is not being able to be held to account for stupid takes/trolling while doing it again. If we’re not going to moderate trolling, the best defense is “Lol right, just like you said XYZ, then the opposite happened. You’re a real expert on the topic!”

If people can nuke the receipts, that defense is no longer available.

None of my posts were deleted afaik. I had greg anonymize my account in a show of solidarity with him when he did the same thing to his main account when he was upset with meb’s tyranny. I think Churchill had his new account somehow merged with his old one after meb guested him. I don’t care about my old posts or PMs one way or the other but if its important to the community that my old anonymized posts are merged onto the Senor Keed account, OK, whatever. I’ll not ask an admin to waste his time doing this pointless work, but if you guys feel strongly about this for some reason and can convince an admin to do so, have at it.

When do you think it was set?

I invited SK to come back (not in any official capacity). Not sure if he saw it though because it was in a 2p2 pm.

His circumstances of departure were the same as Goreo’s temporary resignation as admin. Everyone was OK with Goreo resuming his prior role.

6 Likes

Of course Keed should be able to return in any capacity he wants. He is an OG UPer.

9 Likes

I mean, to be fair to Keeed, he didn’t actually quit and stop posting. I think it’s certainly easier to have him posting under one account. Welcome Back Keeed!

Ok conservative

What’s the reasoning for not wanting him to come back?

Who? Who is MrWookie talking about? He hasn’t narrowed it down beyond the approximately dozen people that the OP could apply to.

Is it ok to have a sock puppet account?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Didn’t Bryce set the precedent for this?

Have you seen me holding any old grudges in the last however many months I’ve been back? I think posters track record is important. If I argue every day that grass is pink, then next week we’re arguing about the color of trees, my track record on grass is relevant. If someone has a history of trolling, being blatantly wrong, or being an expert on a topic, their posts will be treated differently by those who engage (or choose not to). I think giving people the chance to nuke all of that and then come back anonymously has the potential to be problematic.

I don’t think anyone is saying he shouldn’t be allowed to come back, I do think his track record matters, I don’t know if there’s anything that can be done about it and I wouldn’t want to ban him if it couldn’t be preserved, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t discuss it with regard to how these situations should be handled in the future, and I’m now going to take the opportunity to end this monstrous run-on sentence that I was too tired to punctuate properly.

Define sock puppet. We’re not talking about gimmicks or ghost accounts to read the forum while banned, right?

I guess we have to start with discussing the framework for discussing how these situations should be handled in the future, since too many fuckers voted against keeping RFCs.

I am very curious, do you think they were a good thing?

Look at this situation today. I think even just a few months ago this woulda spawned rfc’s and counter-rfc’s that force everyone to engage with them because if you don’t vote people will go around trying to get your vote, but then you don’t want to do the wrong thing so you read way more about it than you ever want to, or, get finally tired of it and become a nonparticipant - I can’t see in any way that this is good for the health of the discussion on this forum.

I also don’t think you can really make a solid argument that someone with a deleted account should be disallowed from coming back. I do agree it allows people to hide history, and messes up discussion - and I have repeatedly asked for the same thing and never seem to receive any help there, but whatever, who gives a fuck really - I think far the appropriate response is to laugh at the utter ridiculousness of rage deleting an account and then coming back, because again, who really gives a fuck. The way our TOS is set up states that users own their own content. I think it’s fully within that to give users control to remove their content if they so desire and I have championed that since day 1 even for people that hate my guts.

The fact this thread isn’t a million posts long already despite being 10 hours old and no mod has had to put post timers on anything probably says a lot.

I think having some sort of formal process is a good idea. It’s obvious this place can’t function using some dumbass version of consensus democracy. Now we’re back to potentially arguing over whether a vote was valid and binding. The idea of an RFC was that the people who cared enough could engage in the discussion and the people who didn’t want to be part of it should have been able to stay out of it until it reached the point of having a binding vote on the forum.