Sky goes to Iowa

Thought I’d do a mini-blog of my upcoming weekend in Iowa. If you’re a political junkie like I am, you might be interested in this. I’ll try to update often and include pictures. Be warned: this will be very Pete-centric, though more in a “this what we’re doing” kind of way, and less of a “fight about his policies” kind of way. So here’s some background.

Who: me, ldo. I cannot stomach paying too much attention to the shitshow in the white house, so I’ve turned my time and attention to the 2020 race.

What: a giant group of grassroots supporters and volunteers coming from all 50 states to support Pete at the Iowa Democrats Liberty & Justice Celebration. It’s their big fall dinner, and a huge event in the leadup to the Iowa caucus. If you’re old enough, you may remember this event in 2007 was one of the catalysts for Obama’s rise in the polls. Back then it was called the Jefferson & Jackson Dinner.

When: My group has events planned for the whole weekend. Tomorrow after we arrive I’ll be helping with the “sign war”, then on Friday morning, meeting with the rest of the folks who traveled from California, attending the rally, marching to the arena, attending the dinner/speeches, then drinking at an afterparty. On Saturday we’re having a grassroots rally in the park (Pete won’t be there, just a really really large meetup), then we’re going off to canvass around Des Moines.

Why: to show the world that Pete is the real deal. In 2007, there were really only 5 viable candidates at this point in the race. Obama turned out 4000 people. We’re expecting 1500-2000 (the signups didn’t include Iowa supporters who will just show up). with 14 candidates, we think that’s pretty damned good. We have enough RSVPs without Iowa people to require an overflow area for the arena because there aren’t enough tickets for Pete people. Of course, I’ve gotten plenty of texts from other campaigns over the past couple of weeks offering me free tickets in their sections…I’ll let you decide what that means.

How: Totally grassroots planned and everyone is self-funded. The only things the campaign is giving out are t-shirts and overflow tickets, and coordinating with us for the rally and canvassing. If you see us on the news and someone tries to tell you the campaign paid for us to be there from all over the country, they’re lying.

I should be in bed because my flight leaves early. For me, personally, I kept hearing people tell their stories of campaigning for Obama in Iowa in 2007/2008 and how it was such an amazing experience, so I wanted to have my own Iowa story to tell.

It’s a 4-day trip. I’d better bring all my shirts
EIL0Yh8XUAATkoA

One last note: I won’t hide my enthusiasm on this thread. If you think it’s silly or trite, feel free to keep that to yourself. We made the mistake in 2016 of hiding our enthusiasm for our candidate due to trolls from both sides. Groups like Pantsuit Nation were formed in secret for people who actually liked Hillary…but secret enthusiasm does absolutely nothing. So here we go. Actual thread will commence in the morning.

24 Likes

Looking forward to reading this thread, just saying that in case I don’t post again.

Good luck and have a safe trip.

This is great and is exactly the sort of thing I hope to see more of from us.

5 Likes

Awesome. Have a safe and productive trip.

We don’t much cotton to moderates around these parts, Missy.

Jk, enjoy your stay is beautiful Iowa and thanks for keeping us updated.

1 Like

Got up at 5 am to get to the airport in time. Three of us were on the same flight from San Diego to Vegas

These are my co-leads for the local group. They are entirely too awake.

I’m writing from our layover in Vegas. There are 8 Pete people on this flight. Besides us, there’s one from Portland, one from Ventura, one from Alameda, one from Orange County, and one from Ukiah, CA.

Edited to add: also spoke to a couple of Yang supporters and there are several Kamala people on board as well.

9 Likes

Heh.

I’ll let you know. My seat mate on the plane is an Iowan and we had a nice convo before takeoff, so that’s a yes so far, with a sample size of 1. She gave me some restaurant recommendations :+1:

Did she tell you to eat a loose meat sandwich?

Nah, just best pizza place. She also recommended a sushi place but I have a fundamental problem with eating sushi in a landlocked state.

Random non-pol thought: why do so many people drink ginger ale on planes? My whole row ordered it, and a guy in front of me,too. I don’t know why I do it either, other than it seems to be some kind of weird tradition, for lack of a better term.

Isn’t it like that or water?

I have not flown in many years

Might be the uniqueness of being available, might be the idea of if settling the stomach if one is agitated while flying.

Just wanted to add great thread, looking forward to reading it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the updates. Even though we might not support the same candidate I respect and appreciate the work you’re putting in.

Enjoy!

1 Like

This is a good take on sushi. I used to like the sushi at the best sushi place I could find in Louisville… but then I tried some nearer to the ocean and it ruined it for me. The Iowan no doubt believes that sushi is good. Compared to mediocre places in San Diego it probably sucks.

1 Like

They’re all on one plane? What are the odds

Ginger settles the stomach.

Made it to Des Moines. We dropped off our bags and decided to find a place near the hotel to eat. Decided on a Soul food place called Bubba.

So, apparently, did Amy Klobuchar and about 100 supporters. Not sure if it’s a free event or a fundraiser but whatever, here she is talking about Trump and building a blue wall thru the Midwest. Trip is already living up to the expectation of seeing politics everywhere :joy:

She has a bus.

3 Likes

Goddamn, it’s the Klobmobile.

7 Likes

I’m guessing that the amount of actual ginger in most ginger ales (if it isn’t zero, which it probably is), is nowhere near enough to have any effect on nausea.

1 Like