Should Unstuck Politics Implement a Profanity Filter

Should Unstuck Politics Implement a Profanity Filter
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

If we vote yes, we can decide which words to add to the filter in later discussions.

Fuck no

2 Likes

This is not a fair way to phrase the question. The question is, should we implement a profanity filter on the word ■■■■■■

1 Like

That would have been a fair way to phrase the question if the profanity filter had not already been implemented without first consulting the community.

3 Likes

A profanity filter has already been added, I think without most forum users knowing about it. A reasonable first step is voting to see if a filter should be added at all, then decide on which words to add.

2 Likes

Nonsensical? I’m just following the instructions of the admin account in the ■■■■ thread.

Indeed. Thanks. But I do not think this poll really addresses the issue at hand.

I do not want to get embroiled in this - but the poll was in the c-word thread. It got a decent number of responses. In the past, 40ish responses has been enough to make major community decisions. I was made admin of this site with 50 votes in a poll that was buried within the about administration thread. I think, honestly, that this is not that big of a deal. I offered to make the c-word poll a banner - it did not get traction, so I did not do it. I am not going to just make major admin actions on my own unless they involve technical details no one cares about. There was community feedback and support from the staff, so I implemented it.

Now, if people vote down a profanity filter in this thread, I do not think it gives any kind of insight on how we should deal with this. As it is stated, it seems dishonest at worst and misleading at best.

Cock, balls

1 Like

Who runs the admin account?

wait, you’re jmakin? You voted twice in that poll? WTF.

Does my poll wording not give the whole picture of the debate in the ■■■■ thread? Only to the extent that people vote in this poll who were unaware of the decision being made in that thread. Which is obviously part of the point I’m making: I think it was dishonest to bury that decision in the thread and not bring it to the attention of the forum.

2 Likes

Who decides what’s profanity and what isn’t? Will there be a Profanity Commission?

Yes there will be. I will be head commissar.

1 Like

If I did, I assure you it was an accident. The decision to bury it in the thread was not mine - I don’t make these decisions. I offered to make it a banner. That got no traction. I am just here to implement what the community wants. If the community decides the ■■■■ filter is too much, I will remove it happily. I don’t think this poll is going to accomplish that - it is asking about a profanity filter, which makes it sound like we want to ban the words fuck and shit and peepee.

It’s what happens when you don’t set any adult boundaries.

1 Like

I objected to that poll’s placement before the decision. What are you talking about?

I’M OFFENDED

You voted twice in this poll too.

1 Like

Just stick a good faith poll on the front page and abide by the result. Don’t generalise one to the extent it can be misinterpreted or bury one in a thread most folk can’t be arsed with.

This isn’t hard.

2 Likes

me. I am trying to make admin-related posts on that account, and jmakin posts on this account. Admittedly I am not doing a great job of it, but I am trying. I don’t want people to confuse jmakin the poster with jmakin the admin. This account has zero admin privileges and is what I spend 99% of my time on.

Sorry, I think it is a bug - I honestly do not know why it is happening. I have multiple windows open with different logins, and discourse software gets very confused. Sometimes I will be on the jmakin account and I will get a post flag notification that I’ll be unable to view - so the software is obviously confused.

I assure you, it is not intentional. How stupid would that be? Just subtract my vote.

1 Like