Should Jman, Jal, Fidget and Wookie no longer be allowed to respond to each other?

Should Wookie, Jal, Jman and Fidget no longer be allowed to respond to each other?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

This is a vote to institute a simple new rule. The rule would mean that these four posters can no longer reply to each other. If they do they face a one day ban for doing so.

Don’t think mods can be banned, whole lot of effort demodding and banning and remodding etc. I would encourage all concerned to use the ignore function, though (although I think you still can’t ignore mods).

2 Likes

I would just like to ask them to stop whatever it is they’re doing.

3 Likes

So I can’t respond to fidget?

LOL

Also, Jman will find so many ways around this - by referring to unnamed persons etc.

How do you propose to deal with that when it arises? I mean, he’s already defamed the forum’s “Europeans”.

Flesh it out and make it clearly defined and enforceable and it might be worth voting for.

As it stands it will only make matters worse, because the mod concerned can game these rules to ban people when he wants based on interpretation, as we’ve just seen in his “interpretation” of “naked racism”.

5 Likes

Well like, it’s clear you guys can’t coexist and it’s causing real damage to the forum/community. So what now?

1. The claims people make of the forum dying are overblown and are mainly the result of reduced activity in a post-Trump US.

2. A community vote has found overwhelmingly that one mod acted against the rules of the community, and wrongly, in gratuitously banning someone for a week over nothing - putting aside personal feelings, what action do you think should happen to him to repair the damage he has caused and prevent a repetition?

3. Once that has happened there still remains the problem of needle between one person and a few others. It might be worth trialling a system for a month, say, along the lines of clovis’s back of an envelope idea, but more fleshed out - named people unable to respond directly or indirectly to each other, including by inference, without a one day ban.

I can show graphs of steady growth and now a steady decline. I don’t believe it’s 100% on biden. The off topic forums are less active as well. People are quitting. People don’t quit over a new admin.

I don’t think #2 is nearly as big of a deal as you think it is and I don’t believe this really happened the way you’re stating it. Mods are volunteers and are going to make mistakes.

Interesting - can you post the graphs showing a timeline?

See my ninja edit. It started after the inauguration. So I’m not placing it 100% on drama. But, there was a week or two of really nasty drama right around then. I remember because I spent most of my birthday dealing with it.

LOOOOL ok I have nothing more to say to you about this.

Dude, man, I’m like one of your few advocates on this board. Surely you realize that this cannot continue the way it’s been going. You see the problem as it being a moderator. I think our mods are doing a perfectly adequate job and I’m glad they stepped up. I’m sorry we disagree but it’s not a reason to shut down the conversation.

You’re not seeing the broader picture, which as others have said is allllllll about attempts by one person and his posse to run me off this site.

Some of the mods have observed community rules, have shown impartiality and have been beyond criticism; others seem to think they can ban people they don’t like on trumped up charges and continue to double down after the event. We should try to get more of the former and fewer of the latter, clearly.

If you disagree this has been happening, I don’t know what to say to you.

So why don’t you try to have Wookie demodded the proper way? We have a process for that.

This is how I honestly view things, from my perspective. I’m really not interested in arguing with anyone here about what happened, this is just how I see it from my (admittedly) really terrible long term memory.

I think for much of the last ~year you have been a little antagonistic towards a group of posters. I even pm’d you a while back about it. I could argue that this directly or indirectly resulted in a well liked, prolific poster in quitting/self banning which set off a bit of a chain reaction of drama we are still dealing with. There is a great deal of acrimony about this event that obviously still lingers.

Since then I’ve not really seen anything from you that suggests you are trying very hard to be a functioning member of this community. All I see from you in these discussions is hatred, which confuses me, because I think I know you better than that. I’m not saying hatred isn’t being directed towards you. It clearly is, and I’ll put jman in the that list. I think both sides should just let it go.

But honestly I just don’t think you’re handling it in a way that is beneficial to this community and that bothers me a little. If you got what you wanted, which, I think (?) is for wookie to be demodded, then these problems still linger and people will still come at you and we’ll still have this drama. So I’m not even sure what your end goal here is.

Now, somehow this past drama has gotten into our modding decisions. This little attitude of working the refs on every tiny decision (not accusing just you of this - I think every side of this feud has done this) is actually hamstringing them and has resulted in a lot of our silly process related threads, in an attempt to give them some community mandate to take actions. I had naively hoped this would solve some of our issues. I think it did solve a few but not as many as I’d hoped.

Re: wookie, I think wookie was a fantastic mod in 2p2 and I think he’s the best choice for mod here. I don’t agree with every decision he’s made lately but I also acknowledge two things:

• he is human and a volunteer and therefore allowed to make mistakes or make judgment calls
  • none of this shit actually matters at all and getting worked up about mod decisions is silly (I also admit that I have gotten worked up about mod decisions in the past, before anyone points that out.)

If you two can’t coexist, then something needs to be done about that. I’ve not talked to any mods or know how they feel about this. I’m just the guy that clicks the buttons every now and then.

Honestly, as a friend, I would tell you to seriously ask yourself if the problem is everyone else, or does it lie a little bit with you? If you’re truly doing nothing to contribute to this ongoing feud then I apologize. I just don’t really think that’s the case, from what I’ve seen.

And everything I just said to you I’d say to the other side that is continuing this shit as well.

5 Likes

I said earlier - more mods of the calibre of chads and risky will dilute the bias that no impartial sentient person can now doubt exists.

Being a mod clearly matters a lot to wookie for reasons I’m unable to fathom, so let him wear his hat if he wants but let’s have some fresh mods.

1 Like

Risky’s practically quit. If you want to mod someone there’s a process and I’m pretty sure basically anyone you want could be modded at this point. No one’s coming forward to do that. I’d be happy to nominate people.

You would have to be out of your mind to want to mod given all this nonsense.

Bit rude of you calling Wookie insane.

Ban for personal abuse?

I think it would stop entirely if Jman would stop.

6 Likes

Last asked otatop said he would, keeed still would. I didn’t like modding, but it wasn’t that hard to not fight with people (or barely) for 3 months and to do things like tell the children that everyone gets bans if they don’t stop fighting, and follow through on that exactly the same whether it was your friend or not. Really it wasn’t hard. And as can be seen around here occasionally, I’m not always that calm.

Also, as most of the mods have shown most of the time, there’s literally nothing that you have to do.

1 Like