SenorKeeed For Mod!

That reduces his Sklanski-ban balance to 38.25 days.

2 Likes

I don’t have a comment on the second sentence, but the first sentence is inarguably correct.

2 Likes

The spectacularly bad take part was the part where you posted that this was evidence that Suzzer is chasing Churchill around the forum because he came in and posted in a thread about making somebody a mod.

Think of flying cows, chill, and understand it’s not personal.

Go look at the poll we had for PocketChad just yesterday. None of these things you mention are defined, and nobody had an issue with it. Basically all of the mod polls have been fairly informal, just like that one.

And although a mod started that one, we have a history of multiple other mod polls started by non-mods with no previous issues or objections. I believe we’ve always relied on a simple majority, but that I’m not entirely sure about.

I guess it doesn’t matter now because Keeeeeeeeed asked for it to be closed. But there was absolutely no reason that this shouldn’t have been a binding poll based on how we’ve always done things here.

3 Likes

Also making Keeeeeeeed a mod is going to be exactly like making Pee Wee Herman a cocaine dealer like they tried to do in the movie ‘Blow.’ You’ll take a beloved character and turn him into something he’s not and just ruin him forever. I beseech you not to do this and Keeeeeeeeeed should know better.

3 Likes

I don’t know about spectacularly bad. That was kind of flippant/throw-away. I don’t think suzzer was really chasing him around. I’d guess analyzing myself I was adding that on to make it sound worse without much thought.

I think all of the mods that were elected were elected by [don’t look pocketchads] huge majorities. It’s true that it’s never been stated as anything other than simple majority, but we haven’t had to deal with any narrow victories.

Politics can be highly personal and emotionally-charged. IMO, it’s impossible to have a political forum completely devoid of what can be interpreted as personal attacks. So, good moderation comes down to pruning the excesses of negative reactions. I don’t think it is possible to write a bright-line rulebook to do that. If it were, Facebook would have no problems using automated moderation to rid itself of toxic posting.

So, good moderation relies on picking moderators who have demonstrated the capacity for good judgment. We generally treat good posting and lack of bad posting as the best evidence that someone displays good judgment. Quite obviously, some people think SenorKeeed is a bad poster and believe that to be evidence that he would be a bad moderator.

Discourse doesn’t have a dislike button to smash, but there is a plug-in (Retort) which allows for what it calls “slack-style reactions”. I’ve never used slack, so I don’t know what that means, but I know several of you do.

I know some people believe that social media shouldn’t have such things because they encourage negative reactions. I am personally indifferent to such things. As has been noted, I am stingy about handing out likes and I would feel the same about dislikes, but if the option to give a dislike or thumbs down or -1 to a post gives people a less combative option for signaling displeasure, then maybe it is something that we can ask @jmakin about the feasibility of doing.

That being said, I admit to being a fan of comedy roasts and I know I sometimes use jokes that could be considered insulting, which I suppose is fine if the target is Ted Cruz and maybe less fine if the target is another poster. I think some people share the same humor and I’d like to think that we are tolerant enough to allow such jokes from posters who are capable of reading the room and picking good spots instead of a blanket prohibition against anything that can be construed as insulting.

2 Likes

I think 2/3rds is a reasonable standard.

What is the ratio of Keeed Unban Times to Schrute Bucks?

2 Likes

As I said above we will have to agree to disagree.

It is moot anyway since Keeed has essentially withdrawn his candidacy for the time being.

I mean you’re free to disagree with facts all you want. But that doesn’t change the facts.

1 Like

The same as the ratio of unicorns to leprechauns.

1 Like

C0I (1)

1 Like

Actually I don’t believe there was any vote at all for skydiver, or any public discussion or input of any kind. Please correct me if I’m wrong and I missed it though.

1 Like

Don’t think “withdrawn” is the right word. Not the least because I never “submitted” it beyond volunteering in the other thread.

I’m pretty sure there was a vote for smacc as I seem to recall voting in it.

Fair enough. I apologize if I used the wrong word. I thought you asked for the poll itt to be closed, but maybe I’m wrong about that too. That’s what I was referring to when I used the wrong word.

1 Like