SARS-CoV-2: Electric Superflu

That’s good. There was some initial reports that infection rates didn’t vary much by temperature and humility.

I’ve posted that Sartre quote 100 times all around the internet. I understand it. I just don’t think FoxNews can go full isolationist.

1 Like

The researchers found very high levels of virus emitted from the throat of patients from the earliest point in their illness —when people are generally still going about their daily routines. Viral shedding dropped after day 5 in all but two of the patients, who had more serious illness. The two, who developed early signs of pneumonia, continued to shed high levels of virus from the throat until about day 10 or 11.

Does this strongly support the mask theory?

I feel like they’re still running the playbook from SARS:

This pattern of virus shedding is a marked departure from what was seen with the SARS coronavirus, which ignited an outbreak in 2002-2003. With that disease, peak shedding of virus occurred later, when the virus had moved into the deep lungs.

2 Likes

I’m no expert here, but it seems like a mask has to at least help a little bit. I know it’s not a N95 mask or whatever but the name of the game is not to hermetically seal you off but to baffle the disease for a while so we flatten the curve. Basically, South Korea seems to be wafflecrushing this so maybe we should all be watching and taking notes on how they handle this.

And Japan is somehow not going under - despite it being cold, packed subway cars, etc.

Really? You think having indoor and outdoor clothes is necessary? Seems extreme, but I guess. I’m starting to think I’m not being careful enough. Went to the grocery store today and had my hands on the cart. I wash my hands immediately upon returning home, but do sometimes touch my face. I can imagine the virus is so small that the little amount I do touch my face is enough to get it.

It’s sad, but I think we all do

Probably not a great idea, tbqh.

No one is eating at restaurants or school cafeterias anymore. That’ll bump grocery demands a fair bit

What’s the alternative for non perishable items such as fruits, veggies, bread, etc.?

Dude… that chart needs to show “pending”… cause from what i have seen, “pending” is like half of total tests…

frozen veggie, frozen bread, dried fruits ?

2 Likes

Numerous doctors have said heat may not have an effect on the virus. Florida has been warm all winter and it’s like #5 in states w/ the virus.

That could also have something to do with tourism and population size.

and stupidity of population

8 Likes

Yeah no one knows. But it’s definitely affected similar viruses in the past. And it hasn’t overwhelmed a warm weather country yet. It might take over 80 and humid. Has FL been that warm?

My friend’s friend’s wife is on a ventilator. She’s 28, ex-military, exercises, runs marathons. Got sick Friday and put on a ventilator yesterday. Tested positive for COVID-19.

Edited for clarity. It’s my friend’s friend’s wife. I do not know the woman.

4 Likes

Yea it’s been around 80 all winter. Today was like 86 or something like that. I’m in northern part of the state so I imagine S FL has been warmer.

Not being stupid.

I’ve already lost like four pounds, I cooked for myself today on the stove for the first time in a long time (veggie stir fry)… I’m already trying to take some joy in the little things like that, just putting some music on and cooking and trying to relax my mind.

As long as I can keep getting fresh food in, I’ll keep eating fresh veggies. If not, I still have healthy vegetarian stuff to go to after that. Plus I’ll be lifting every day in my home gym, and trying to grab some late night walks as long as I think it’s safe. I feel like going out once nobody else is out is safe from a virus standpoint, and now it’s safe from a civil unrest standpoint. We’ll see how it develops.

If this goes for a month, I anticipate losing 15-20 pounds. If it goes 1.5 months, ~23 lbs. Two months, 30-32 lbs.

Little thing like this bring me a little bit of warmth and happiness.

Wow, I learned something basic that I had backwards (the microwave thing). Mom and Dad were wrong about that one too, huh?

1 Like