SARS-CoV-2: Electric Superflu

NYC continuing to release new interesting data.

Age Group Cases Deaths Fatality Rate Hospitalized Cases Hospitalized Rate
0 to 17 384 0 0.0% 28 7.3%
18 to 44 7,094 5 0.1% 629 8.9%
45 to 65 5,194 43 0.8% 1061 20.4%
65 to 74 1,689 44 2.6% 550 32.6%
75 and over 1,227 100 8.1% 615 50.1%
Unknown 9 0 0.0% 0 0.0%
Total 15,597 192 1.2% 2883 18.5%

source: https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/imm/covid-19-daily-data-summary.pdf

1 Like

What about George Washington! He seems like a better version of Caesar in a lot of ways:

• Both were enormously rich plantation aristocrats who owned many slaves.
  • Both actively worked towards the genocide of the people to their west to pave the way for territorial expansion, BUT there seem to have been many fewer Native Americans than Gauls, and Washington pursued ethnic cleansing via deportation (humane!) vs Caesar’s murder and enslavement.
  • Both were victorious generals, but Washington fought against a stronger imperial power whereas Caesar fought against weaker powers to impose imperial rule (also, civilians and his countrymen).
  • Caesar used his power to destroy a vaguely democratic system that had lasted for centuries, while Washington helped create a vaguely democratic system that lasted for centuries.
  • Washington’s propaganda is charming stuff about youthful cherry tree hijinx–Caesar’s is lectures about how many parts Gaul is divided into.
1 Like

Sanders supporters get accused of being a cult of personality because they are perceived as being hostile to people who support good policies but don’t endorse Bernie for president.

1 Like

For a smart guy, James Woods is really stupid.

I’ve been bugged by the face that nobody is updating the NYC ED visit data on twitter that I can find, so I found the link to the actual data:

https://a816-health.nyc.gov/hdi/epiquery/visualizations?PageType=ps&PopulationSource=Syndromic

Click on the count for 2020 in both IFI and respiratory. Combined between the two we’re at about 4,000-5,000 cases per day for about 5 days running, which is a major aberration compared with past years, but not necessarily wildly out of the magnitude of the number of cases the NYC EDs usually get:

Also notable is a significant decline in ED visits for non-COVID related reasons:

Not sure what all of this means really.

Is the ED admittance rate of about 5,000 cases per day about the maximum that NYC can handle? Or is the demand actually flatlining at that number by chance? How long are these COVID visits versus typical flu/pneumonia visits eg from early 2018? How many days can the hospitals function at these rates before the backlog of people admitted to the hospital/ICU grows unmanageable?

3 Likes

Shut the fuck up

5 Likes

The US is probably hitting the 1,000 death mark today

It’s because you’re not yet seeing the CV effects of 10% of cases needing ICU and the no. of cases doubling every other day.

NY’s ICU will be full in 3 days whilst the numbers requiring ICU will still go on doubling (unless the US is different from every other country out there)

Kind of nuts that it seems as though a few people here may have already had it without being sure of it.

Makes me wonder how many cases there really are.

1 Like

I was in Colombia in December for a couple weeks and was in several airports there as well as three international airports going through two long af customs lines. When I returned I had a fever that lasted several days, dry cough for like a month and I had this bizarre thing where I woke up every night feeling like I couldn’t catch a breath. During the day it felt like I was full of mucus but never could expell any. I posted about it here and it was suggested by many to see a mental health professional (which is good advice). Now I am wondering if I had it. Obviously hoping so.

New York currently has 7,000 ventilators, but needs 30,000, the governor said.

Mr Cuomo continued: "The [infection] forecaster said to me, ‘We were looking at a freight train coming across the country.’

“‘We’re now looking at a bullet train.’”

1 Like

Well coronavirus came after a terrible flu season this past winter. Almost everybody I know got sick.

2 Likes

I’m glad to hear that Mitt is ok (for now) but what about Pierre Delecto?

2 Likes

Holland reports 80 more deaths

Dutch authorities have confirmed 80 more virus-related deaths in the country during the last 24 hours. They also confirmed 852 additional cases.

This latest figures bring the total to 6,412 cases and 356 deaths in the country of 17 million.

The Netherlands’ health ministry stressed the actual number of infections will be higher because not everyone has been tested.

A ban on public gatherings has been extended until 1 June to help fight the Netherlands’ outbreak.

It is the height of irony that some of the biggest pieces of shit I know are the biggest hoarders of toilet paper

3 Likes

Is NYC primarily testing people who present at a hospital/clinic, presumably along with healthcare and emergency workers and administrators (and an NBA team or two)? Or are they doing more widespread testing? I mean if those hospitalization rates can be applied to the general population of infected versus instead mostly only people getting sick enough to seek help, we are fucking fucked worse than I thought.

Like I’ve said a few times now, I can’t afford it, but if people will contribute, I’ll get the 3D printer and start making ventilators.

I suppose I should do the same with masks. Maybe we should start a homemade mask thread?

Also I do shopping for any old person who I know well enough to ask and will let me do it.

That’s the anarcho response.

4 Likes

Bad news for the theory of lower population density meaning decreased transmissions. Massachusetts cases increased by 50% yesterday, and the more sparsely populated counties’ rates equaled or exceeded the urban ones.

I had a respiratory illness back in 2003 that I’ll never forget. Never really got a diagnosis, but I’m pretty certain it was whooping cough. Would be fine most of the time, but randomly would cough my brains out and immediately after the coughing jag, I would start gasping for air. It was the same kind of gasp that you get when you first start regaining your breath after getting the wind knocked out of you. It was really scary at first, but then over time you got used to it. I think it took a good month or so to fully resolve. I honestly wish we could see more people as they experience their most severe symptoms just to see how bad it can be.

Spring Break anyone?

https://twitter.com/thomaswmcabee/status/1242670279421116418?s=21