SARS-CoV-2: Electric Superflu

It’s been stated here that Italy has the oldest population in Europe, concentrated in the north of the country. I haven’t verified this yet.

ETA

Verified

but doesn’t explain Germany’s much lower fatality rate, unless olds are more evenly scattered across Germany.

Your brother is a moron and you’re being way too nice to him.

Agreed, that was my sister trying to stop it before I did some shit like call him a moron. she’s aware we aren’t getting along these days, luckily my sisters and both my parents are taking it seriously.

Jaw-dropping timeline of fuckups around testing. The bottom line seems to be that, paradoxically, declaring a national health emergency around coronavirus banned private labs from testing unless they had an emergency authorization from the FDA, which could not be obtained immediately. Then, the CDC decided that it would develop its own test, which preempted all other coronavirus testing, emergency authorization or not. Then, the cherry on top was that the CDC profoundly fucked up their test and was never able to fix it.

To rehash the arguments from a few weeks ago, this makes it pretty unambiguous that the fuckups here were not just Trump’s malevolence. The train went off the rails at the end of January. And it’s not plausible that the CDC test was sabotaged on Trump’s orders. It’s 100% true that a good president would have blown through some of these dumb roadblocks, while Trump probably thought they were convenient, but the rot was there to start with.

2 Likes

It doesn’t explain anything else either. It’s just another random data point that may or may not mean anything. Everybody’s guessing. We have no idea.

1 Like

Gee I wonder why the “rot” was there. Probably had nothing to do with the deliberate hollowing out of the entire federal government, the firing of the pandemic people and a general top down hatred of science and denial of reality.

9 Likes

An excellent reason why health care is not really commodity. Or shouldn’t be. Every time HR said we should be good health care consumers and comparison shop we brutalized her. Impossible.

Great video. They test the surfaces after cleaning too.

Love is in the air on unstuck politics!

1 Like

If you know what I mean

1 Like

Who was running the CDC? Who appointed them?

That chart looks yearly. Here’s monthly.

I just know you don’t want to be there in April. No clouds and no afternoon rain to take the edge off the heat.

Quick & dirty projection of where we’re headed in the US if this doesn’t slow down. Looks like we’ll have ~1,000 dead by the end of next week.

Maybe it’s slowing down a bit in Italy? Still a long way to go before this levels off, but I’m grasping for any good news:

Only love I’ll be getting for like a year is internet love so mine as well shoot my shot :D

7 Likes

This may be what partial lockdown looks like.

Let’s say in China their lockdown drops R0 down to .1 and Italy is at .5. Can we see what the eventual difference in death curves look like for those scenarios?

The testing criteria is changing day to day, but we are not able to test enough people—just a fraction of the patients we see are getting tested. People who live with their 85-year-old grandmother and are displaying symptoms are not getting tested. People who have symptoms [and] need a positive test in order to keep getting paid by their employers while they’re not working are not getting tested. Right now, we are saving the tests for people who are in critical condition.

The Vogue family as usual leading the way.

This is fine

I think it’s mostly the virus is running its course and slowly running out of new people to infect. I’m not using R0 to make these graphs, actually R0 doesn’t necessarily tell you how fast a disease spreads.

Well I guess we could pick some metric for China’s hardcore lockdown, and another for Italy’s softer lockdown, and see if it fits the curves. Because our curve is going to look like Italy’s at best.

https://mobile.twitter.com/timkmak/status/1241413073761689602

From AOC

1 Like