SARS-CoV-2: Electric Superflu

Australia announced a few days ago that we had tested 260,000 people, which is more than 1% of the population. The positive test rate on case numbers of 5,689 is thus something like 2%, maybe a shade more.

I’m not exactly sure what the test criteria are. I think they differ slightly by state. There’s no random testing going on but a bunch of the people who go to doctors with unexplained flu-like symptoms are getting tested (and are almost all negative). Edit: As well as everyone who has been overseas. And everyone with any contact with a known case, obviously.

1 Like

The trend lines are hard to read.

There’s two trends in Australia. Cases imported from abroad, where due to the global community, we are essentially am extension of the global curve.

We then have hometown cases and infections.

The change in the Australian curves is largely because we have completely locked down all travellers. Mandatory 14 day quarantine in government rented hotels under police guard.

This means a major reduction in imported cases. It’s still not exactly clear what our local transmission rates are like.

That said, this is still more positive than many countries, so shouldn’t complain

3 Likes

This is all true, but the declining case numbers at least serve to put a lid on how large this possible undetected outbreak could possibly have gotten. We could definitely encounter something like this that hasn’t reared its head above the declining line just yet.

Some numbers on unknown-cause cases over time would be great. I think that data exists somewhere but idk where. Last I heard was that they were “up 350%” but that was back on very small numbers when that wasn’t surprising.

Hong Kong flu killed 100k Americans in the 60s.

Taking better precautions seems like an obvious move but living the rest of your life in fear to the point where you won’t travel or get on a boat seems like an over reaction and life -EV

Just stay informed and take precautions. Once it seems like something is coming, then you could hunker down and not travel and take more of the extreme precautions.

10 Likes

Australia will need to keep outside cases down for many years assuming the current trends continue

Singapore reports biggest jump in cases

Singapore has reported its biggest daily jump in coronavirus cases - with 120 reported in 24 hours, according to Reuters news agency.

The country was one of the first outside of China to report cases in February, but using a strict regime of testing and tracing, it managed to initially limit the outbreak.

However, in late March, the World Health Organization warned that a second wave of cases could hit Asia, partly fuelled by people bringing the virus from outside.

2 Likes

Well I hope you went on twitter and defended his honor by talking about his generous philanthropy sir. Keep up the good work!

Oh yeah. It will be Fortress Australia for real. I don’t anticipate us letting any non-citizens in for like one to two years, realistically. Also, there’s a ban on overseas travel out of Australia, with few exceptions. I’m not sure when that will be relaxed. Same sort of time frame I would think.

Ha! I shared this idea ITT like a month ago as one of the things we needed to be doing.

7 Likes

btw it continues to be extremely plausible that Tasmania will eradicate the coronavirus completely. It also could well happen in the Northern Territory, but unlike Tasmania, none of you know what the hell that is.

In my state it’s still not impossible that we might also do it, but I’m pretty sure we’re a giant underdog.

I’ve found them. The dumbest people in the world.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/04/05/style/coronavirus-honeymoon-stranded.amp.html

4 Likes

Don’t you worry, the Villages have things under control

3 Likes

They’re dumb for not going to Male and getting a cheaper hotel. Your next couple months will be spent in a bizarre little city in the middle of the ocean. Enjoy.

dumber than average for not cancelling/postponing their honeymoon? Yes
Incredibly stupid? Seems like they don’t have any options for getting home

I mean they flew to the goddamn Maldives on March 22.

March 22.

And then

By Wednesday, they received notice that their country’s airports would all be closed by midnight Thursday. Flights back to South Africa are five hours to Doha, Qatar, a three-hour layover, and then nine hours to Johannesburg — so even if they scrambled, and even if they could get a flight, the complexities of leaving their remote island ensured they’d never make it home in time.

As much of the world rapidly ground to a halt, the few other guests still at the resort last week escaped to their respective countries. The last of them to leave, Americans, had to wrangle permission for a flight to Russia, before returning to the United States.

So everyone else on the island manged to make it home.

And then…how does this NY Times article happen? Did the intrepid reporter stumble across this scoop, pounding the pavement in, um, an isolated Maldives resort? Or did these fucking moron attention whores try (and succeed, thanks NYT) to get the Times to write about them? I’ll give you three guesses and the first two don’t count.

4 Likes

The first thing I’d do if I was the SAs is to talk to management, and insist for the duration that everyone on the island, including themselves, (a) take shifts working, I’d volunteer to wash dishes, (b) have equal access to all the amenities and stock, including all staff, and (c ) everyone, including management and themselves, constitute a General Assembly for the island.

If they don’t agree, I’d then go directly to the staff.

1 Like

Even if they may not have made it home in time. Their odds of being able to get home from Doha - a major city with direct flights to South Africa - is far, far higher than being able to get home from a remote island. I’m pretty sure they didn’t go then since they didn’t want to cut their honeymoon short and thought things would just work out for them. The exact same thinking that caused them to go on their honeymoon in the first place.

Haven’t looked into this, but I’d bet it’s at least 50% odds that she is/trying to be an instagram blogger.

1 Like

50%?