SARS-CoV-2: Electric Superflu

https://twitter.com/Burrite/status/1246539634122899456?s=19

2 Likes

That’s amazing. I was grinding online poker all day and when I saw this here I laughed and started talking to myself out loud. Something like “Holy shit, they had like 12 people on the ship and fucked it up ALREADY???”

In fairness I’m actually impressed they got them tested that fast. I figured they’d fuck it up almost immediately, but not realize it until people became symptomatic and they had their own massive cluster of cases… A USNS Clusterfuck.

By catching their fuck up quickly, they actually exceeded expectations. Who do we send the medal to?

Imagine if someone in the presser was like, “Mr. President, It seems you’ve been lagging behind the virus by 2-4 weeks for most of this battle as you make mistakes. Do you consider it progress for your administration that after fucking up the ship’s containment, you were able to notice and catch your errors almost immediately?”

I get a kick out of imagining a media member just snapping and bringing the heat in a comical way.

Yeah but this could merely be a factor of our limited testing. Is our percentage of positive tests decreasing? My anecdotal review seems to show that it’s actually increasing. So the decrease in raw numbers of infected seems like a pretty worthless data point tbh.

1 Like

If we have anything along these lines and state governments regulate and distribute it, I may drive to California for the vaccine. If the feds regulate and distribute it, I may drive to Alabama. Or fly to South Korea or something.

1 Like

I’ve thought about this. The hard part is that if you don’t live alone. You could pick up the tiny dose on a store run and be fine but also transmit a big dose to your spouse without knowing it, especially if you remain asymptomatic.

If dose is the only variable, but given what we don’t know about immune factors and comorbidities is take a hard pass for now.

2 Likes

A stack of good links in this and its comments.

Might be worth making the first post of the next C19 thread a wiki post so decent bookmarks can be listed?

5 Likes

5 Likes

Things are going pretty well in my state of South Australia. Only two new cases today, 11 yesterday. I spoke to a police officer today and virtually the whole force has been retasked to checking on people who are supposed to be self-quarantining. The government is enacting laws to fit people caught breaking quarantine with GPS ankle bracelets.

In Australia as a whole, things are definitely flattening off:

Like Germany we have had solid testing, so only 35 deaths so far on case numbers of 5,689, although that will definitely go up due to the lag between diagnosis and death.

2 Likes

Any numbers of tests and which type of population are being tested? Trend looks good

Australia announced a few days ago that we had tested 260,000 people, which is more than 1% of the population. The positive test rate on case numbers of 5,689 is thus something like 2%, maybe a shade more.

I’m not exactly sure what the test criteria are. I think they differ slightly by state. There’s no random testing going on but a bunch of the people who go to doctors with unexplained flu-like symptoms are getting tested (and are almost all negative). Edit: As well as everyone who has been overseas. And everyone with any contact with a known case, obviously.

1 Like

The trend lines are hard to read.

There’s two trends in Australia. Cases imported from abroad, where due to the global community, we are essentially am extension of the global curve.

We then have hometown cases and infections.

The change in the Australian curves is largely because we have completely locked down all travellers. Mandatory 14 day quarantine in government rented hotels under police guard.

This means a major reduction in imported cases. It’s still not exactly clear what our local transmission rates are like.

That said, this is still more positive than many countries, so shouldn’t complain

3 Likes

This is all true, but the declining case numbers at least serve to put a lid on how large this possible undetected outbreak could possibly have gotten. We could definitely encounter something like this that hasn’t reared its head above the declining line just yet.

Some numbers on unknown-cause cases over time would be great. I think that data exists somewhere but idk where. Last I heard was that they were “up 350%” but that was back on very small numbers when that wasn’t surprising.

Hong Kong flu killed 100k Americans in the 60s.

Taking better precautions seems like an obvious move but living the rest of your life in fear to the point where you won’t travel or get on a boat seems like an over reaction and life -EV

Just stay informed and take precautions. Once it seems like something is coming, then you could hunker down and not travel and take more of the extreme precautions.

10 Likes

Australia will need to keep outside cases down for many years assuming the current trends continue

Singapore reports biggest jump in cases

Singapore has reported its biggest daily jump in coronavirus cases - with 120 reported in 24 hours, according to Reuters news agency.

The country was one of the first outside of China to report cases in February, but using a strict regime of testing and tracing, it managed to initially limit the outbreak.

However, in late March, the World Health Organization warned that a second wave of cases could hit Asia, partly fuelled by people bringing the virus from outside.

2 Likes

Well I hope you went on twitter and defended his honor by talking about his generous philanthropy sir. Keep up the good work!