SARS-CoV-2: Electric Superflu

Brees is the real deal IMO. I guess time will tell though.

If you can’t trust Drew Brees then fuck it we’re a useless species and the earth deserves to be rid of us.

http://www.salute.gov.it/imgs/C_17_pagineAree_5351_36_file.pdf

Right - I found that. But I can’t tell if say Lombardy’s new hospitalizations are slowing down and Campania’s are speeding up.

Like I can with this for each state: https://covidtracking.com/data/

Maybe I’m too cynical but “to the state” means nothing. Like this could easily be his “foundation” giving to his conversion therapy church or something. Hope I’m wrong.

1 Like

We need an Unstuck Likes Stimulus package

I’m almost out. Stop posting so well

5 Likes

France sees sharp increase in death toll

France reported 365 new deaths from coronavirus on Thursday, taking the total to 1,696.

The country saw 231 deaths on Wednesday.

I have seen a fair number of complaints/criticism on the interwebs about people going out running. I run every day at 5:30AM or earlier. It’s still dark. I see roughly a dozen cars and maybe 3 or 4 people when I run. Am I jeopardizing my safety or anyone else’s? Is this action I’m taking selfish in some way? Legitimately asking, I’ll stop if IATA.

I just went running on my own. Just stepped to the side of the trail when I happened upon someone. I feel pretty ok about it and it definitely helps mentally.

That being said, the people walking abreast who won’t go single file when I pass them can fuck off.

1 Like

seems fine

South Italy about to get hit hard, not sure if North levelling yet. Most of Italy’s death count is North. South expecting similar numbers.

Those US stats must be so far behind realistic today. Miniscule amounts of tests done, deaths blamed to other attributing factors. “hey, here’s where we were at a week ago, might find some more soon”

The economist who was nominated by a center and center-left party to the crisis team responding to coronavirus here has recommended a plan similar to $1,000/month for 2 months that America was considering. Only here it would be 10,000 koruna/month. Also proposing to extend credit lines so people can borrow and avoid getting evicted.

To put it into perspective, that mount isn’t even minimum wage. It wouldn’t be classified as basic minimum income. But the real problem is that it would only be for workers, not everybody at least according to the translation I’m reading.

That said, this is on top of the government reimbursing the majority of wages (80%) of workers affected by the lockdown.

So it looks like the death % is probably closer to 2% than 1%, given the health of the average US person it is probably well above that. Considering that those in the US will soon not be able to be treated since all the ventilators will be taken by those before them I don’t understand why predictions for deaths in the US aren’t higher. I can see 10% or more dying like in Italy and I don’t see why death predictions aren’t above 10 million when it’s all said in done for the US

Just my two cents:

Most of the complaints I’ve seen have been from people who felt that the runners were getting too close (especially when passing from behind). If you aren’t encountering many people and giving a wide berth to the ones you do, you’re cool in my book.

Looking at U.S. stats from Johns Hopkins by county, there are going to be some big problems outside of New York. (I’m aware that NYC is 5 counties, this is just how it is reported by JHU.)

County State Cases
New York City NY 20,011
Westchester NY 4,691
Nassau NY 3,285
Suffolk NY 2,260
Cook IL 1,418
King WA 1,359
Wayne MI 1,122
Rockland NY 968
Orleans LA 827
Bergen NJ 819
Los Angeles CA 812

Yeah but I’m assuming they’re actually catching up on tests or reporting “presumed” with the other numbers. It seems unlikely to me given the anecdotal evidence I’ve heard, that they’re reporting less and less hospitalized cases than reality every day.

Healthcare workers aren’t going to stand for pretending that some people who probably have it, don’t, forever. So once you put a patient in C19 isolation I think that more or less goes on the hospitalized stats - in not completely corrupt red states anyway.

Which means the trend, which is the main thing I’m interested in, is either going to look worse than it is, or about the same as reality.

No I can’t prove that it’s just a hunch. But I still think new hospitalized is better to look at than new cases. If reports from people like Will, and news reports, match what the #s are showing that’s a good sign.

New deaths is best, but it lags 2-3 weeks unless you have a massive ventilator shortage - then it lags much less.

I took an hour and a half walk around the city this afternoon. I think society can handle the infinitesimal risk increase of solo foot travel.

3 Likes

Yah, the Wheel of Time filming shut down :(

1 Like

1 in 7 new cases will be hospitalized. Italy has tests so why are we presuming? With folks dying all around you, you’re not testing or hospitalizing the presumed - you send them home til they need the ventilator… but the ventilators are all booked out anyway

I run a few miles a day several times a week. I give a wide berth if I happen to come across someone. The people who defiantly walk in the middle of the sidewalk should try walking in the street.