SARS-CoV-2: Electric Superflu

1. NYC not getting over-run?

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has renewed his plea for federal assistance amid deepening shortages for critical medical supplies.

“We need federal help and we need the federal help now,” Mr Cuomo said. “New York is the canary in the coal mine, New York is happening first, what is happening to New York will happen to California and Illinois, it is just a matter of time.”

New York state has reported 25,665 Covid-19 infections with at least 210 deaths. It accounts for more than half of US infections overall.

Gov Cuomo blasted the number of ventilators - 400 - sent to New York from the US Federal Emergency Management Agency (Fema).

“Four hundred ventilators? I need 30,000 ventilators. You want a pat on the back for sending 400 ventilators?” he said.

“You’re missing the magnitude.”

1 Like

Like, ironically?

I guess I hadn’t thought about how long it takes for each patient to be out of the hospital. So 5-6k new cases a day even if it flattens there for a while is still inevitably going to overrun the hospitals right?

There’s not a health service in the world that hasn’t been over-run. But USA#1, right?

Watch a re-run of Cuomo today - think NY needs 140,000 hospital beds within 14 days

1. Suzzer’s gonna be all dontstopbelievin.mp3 on this one, but I see little cause for optimism on heat.
  2. Idiots will. People beholden to greedy capitalists will.
  3. If we just go back to normal any time soon, we’ll just go back to pandemic. It’ll probably be n95 masks and limited outings until we get a vaccine.
  4. Tens or hundreds of thousands
  5. Both
  6. I think they get overrun.
3 Likes

Well, I have no money. Any of you rich people want to start making ventilators I will do legwork.

How many ICU beds though? Big difference.

40,000+ ICU but NY has ‘4-5k’ currently

They stopped offering ventilators to Italians over 60yrs about 3 days ago (triage)

Little microdaughter has a close friend whose parents, both of them, have tested positive. They apparently had gone to some hot spot in Colorado. My daughter hasn’t seen this friend since her parents came back.

2 Likes

I don’t think death is the relevant metric. It’s infections.

This guy doesn’t think NY has 4-5K currently. I thought this was really interesting.

Goes over the different cities in Italy and NY.

How many infections and what the percentage of infections that require ICU care is what is going to be important.

I mean it’s preliminary but the NY Times article listed 3 studies that suggest there’s a sweet spot in cold, dry air. IE - Colorado.

If we could see that thing we might see it falling like snow or something all over the place and just piling up and hanging out for days in the right conditions. I can picture people living it up in the Italian Alps just snowing virus all over each other from their breathing.

1 Like

It seems like the flattening in cases from the last day was artificial due to less tests being done than the prior day (based on the data posted earlier today up thread)

Something to do with the weekend?

Certain conditions being optimal is a long ways from “Summer will save us.”

1 Like

Germany in winter = cold dry air.

I guess Trump doesn’t know he doesn’t have the power to force me to go out and spend money and stimulate the economy.

1 Like

Alaska has less than 50 cases. And Canada as a whole has about 1200.

I have taken a couple days away from following closely but read a little today.

Am I insane to be very mildly optimistic based on some of the recent news? Maybe the absolute worst case scenarios are looking less likely?