Rudy Giuliani, Ruh Roh

Not sure this is always true. I remember my sister being excited that her bar score was high enough she could practice anywhere (except I think CA and DC, which require their own bar exam). I could be wrong, but some states have harder exams than others

It varies completely by state. It’s also becoming more standardized. It used to be that each state had their own exam, which consisted of the MBE (which was the same nationally) plus a state specific portion. Back then, you had to pass each state’s exam or get admitted via states that offered reciprocity.

Now, most states use the Uniform Bar Exam, so you don’t have to take a specific exam for the state - although I think they might have different scores they consider passing. Some also require you to take an additional state law exam or course.

Something like 15 states (including CA) still have their own exam. The CA exam has always been the hardest to pass and CA does not offer any reciprocity.

Are there any forums for states to co-ordinate and co-operate?

For example, in Australia, you used to have the Council of Australian Governments where the states and territories would get together to discuss cooperation and alligning state law. (It’s now called something else. national cabinet maybe?)

New thread title: Rudy Giuliani: life and creditors come at you fast.

https://x.com/JustinAHorwitz/status/1813331276348412149

3 Likes