RFC: Unban everyone

Assuming we’re not including gimmicks, I guess.

If we adopt a clear process for future permabans, would you be interested in offering amnesty for all past transgressions, no matter how heinous, and any future punishment based solely on behavior occurring in this forum after new rules are adopted?

He publicly asked, and like I said, whether we responded or not we would have been criticized either way. Also, I do not believe I’ve mentioned anything about the other site here on this site.

You can filter by banned/silenced users. The issue is that includes stuff like user requests and banned gimmicks (are we potentially freeing all gimmicks as well)?

I’m ok posting here just as I am posting on 2p2, but a membership (invite) forum where there are no bans and no one can lock or delete threads or has the authority to tell people what they can post is not something I want to give up.

Make those the rules here. Make new people be not Nazis or 4Chan or Mason or whoever, but members are owners with a right to post.

Still the best I can do is post here. I’m not in charge of anyone else.

How come this place has to be open to anybody but the other venue is free to exclude whomever they want for whatever reason they want? Alex isn’t a Nazi, shouldn’t you be lobbying for him to be admitted to the other forum? Aren’t you stealing his property by denying him that right?

1 Like

Interested, but maybe let’s see what becomes of this first?

In your estimation, what percentage of people at the new place would return here if we went through with The Great Unbanning? (Obviously not expecting you to speak for everyone, just trying to gauge what the feeling is)

Lol. He’s not an anti-captain as far as I am aware. Nice to see you all want this forum to be as open as 4chan is o all posters no matter how heinous their views but you won’t let in someone who appears to have a genuine interest. All this while several of uou have admitted you just post here to watch the place burn.

1 Like

I do not want to speak for anyone else, and I certainly don’t know the purity of Jbro’s intentions, but for what it’s worth I don’t think it was dickish to publicly reject me since I publicly requested.

2 Likes

Sabo was a founding member of this site. It’s not the same at all. Not everyone owns everything. The other site is owned by members. If someone joins they get ownership. Ownership not meaning we’re going to sell it and they get money, but ownership is a right to post. No one “lobbies” for anyone to join because we don’t want peer pressure. I don’t believe Alex has voted to perma anyone, and if that’s the case, I wouldn’t veto, but others might…especially now in the middle of arguments.

So the ban threshold on this site needs to be 90 percent in favor of a ban but the threshold for the captains clubhouse is literally one poster.

2 Likes

You mean a forum where someone like me can post whatever I want without having to self-moderate to avoid being banned?

This place isn’t going to be converted to a gated community with membership doled out by invitation only. It never was that and it never was going to become that. No one is asking you to give up any place else that resembles that.

This was always going to be an attempt at democracy with mostly open borders. Given that, what rules are you comfortable with?

1 Like

Liberum veto?

I’m posting here now, so you know what I’m comfortable with. I think it’s also pretty clear what I prefer. Move that direction and maybe I’ll post more and argue less? Dunno, it depends on what other people post.

How do I get invited to the forums that you’ve tried to start with cuse? How about just add me to the PMs that you have here talking about all this stuff?

2 Likes

Huh, TIL. Looking at the suspended user list I only see 3 “real” users and 2 of those are self banned so…everyone is already unbanned?

If course it’s the same. At the end of the day, both communities exclude troublemakers but somehow it’s a travesty when Sabo gets voted off the island and yet you’re totally cool with it when jbro gleefully tells alex he’s not allowed in. That’s not “ban lust” that’s just commonsense gatekeeping.

How about we just let UP do its community moderation thing and the splinter site can have it’s even tighter preban system?

1 Like

Right, if you classify Sabo’s permanent silencing as “unbanned”. Which it isn’t.

I don’t think it would change much at all. I don’t even know if Sabo would post here. As I’ve said, a bunch of people from there still post here now. Other people will probably continue posting there regardless of what happens here. Posting begets posting and it probably continues.

No. It’s not the same. No matter how many times you say it. Not inviting someone somewhere is not the same as throwing someone out.

Have you ever thrown anyone out of a party? Pretty harsh, huh? Quite a scene I bet? Well, you have done that. You threw Sabo out. Kinda ruined the party imo.