RFC: Removal/Ban of gimmick accounts used to circumvent bans (UPDATED OP!!!)

Yeah. If bans are being used solely to make the forum better then quite evidently that policy is a catastrophic failure because bans have increased and people are no less angry.

4 Likes

Are we even talking about me here?

4 Likes

Probably not, probably was talking about Churchill now that I think about it.

Or Johnny? He selfbanned recently.

Regardless, it’s totally super sweet and sick that people can’t even be forthright enough to specify who they’re talking about.

Well yeah, and that’s what is so confusing to Team Ban when I/we/they talk about posters who should be banned: it’s not advocating bans, it’s pointing out that almost everybody would be banned if the “rules” were adhered to.

Also, how do you feel about these “rules” being alluded to when you did much to try to codify some rules and it didn’t take?

4 Likes

seems relevant:

7 Likes

There was a thread where we could ask how many people had us on ignore, and for me it was like 4 if I remember.

I mean, can talk about how everybody loved me until like two weeks ago? And how they’ve essentially invented whole-cloth how I’ve been insulting and abusive and broke all The Rules, when in reality it’s just because I came out on the wrong side?

The answer is, obv, no, we can’t talk about it. But it doesn’t hurt to ask!

3 Likes

Serious request, could you please just get the subforum up and running so that you can prove your approach is better?

3 Likes

This doesn’t seem particularly helpful. I’m not saying you should be banned, but you probably should be.

3 Likes

The amount of condescension and snark that you consistently post with doesn’t help matters in the least.

2 Likes

It is objectively very helpful to prod JT to proceed with a solution that he requested and the community agreed to.

Will not say you should be banned because there is only love and positivity coming from me, brother.

1 Like

What’s the post you think best epitomizes me displaying condescension and snark?

1 Like

Oh, ok, touche.

Damn, gotta go ahead and retract that touche.

2 Likes

Don’t believe I ever expressed an opinion about “changing your mind about a self-ban” yet you feel the need/right to call me out on that and put me into the “out group” on the issue for some reason? Doctor, heal thyself.

Will step out of this thread now, hope you get whatever it is you seeking out of it.

1 Like

Jesus Christ. I’ve never met someone who is their own enemy more than 6ix.

1 Like

Then just stop all self bans if they are meaningless and who cares. If they are pointless nobody should be wasting time enforcing and managing them.

If they are not worthless and meaningless they should be enacted for their full duration.

It’s not a toy for people to jerk off with at their discretion.

If someone asks for a self ban it means they lack the willpower and self control to do it themselves. So they should be fully enforced or not allowed.

Circumvention of all bans should be treated the same. How is this not a reasonable request of someone requesting a self ban. We don’t have to act like everyone is ten years old. We can have policies that expect more mature behavior.

Justify having self bans that are meaningless with something more than “who cares” as with community moderation it potentially impacts everyone on the site in multiple ways.

Why can’t people accept the consequences for their choices?

2 Likes

Why can’t they just follow the rules of asking for a self ban.

Why should the onus be on everyone else instead of the person who requested the self ban.

There is no justification for all this special coddling of people asking for a self ban.

1 Like

This is a horrible take. People should not be making Alts to avoid any bans. It should result in an incremental punishment.

I get why you are favoring the selfish trolling behavior this allows but it is the exact opposite of good policy for this forum.

What onus?

1 Like