RFC: Proposed New Subforum

Policing how someone states their opinions seems even more pointless than most conversations on here, but perhaps I am not the smart one.

This should be a temp-ban for trying to pick a fight with a 3rd party.

Again, go away.

2 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 1 hour unless flagged)

1 Like

This is immensely constructive stuff. Thanks for putting as much effort as you obviously did into thinking through the details. Two questions:

1. Whatā€™s the rationale for capping the number of subforum moderators in Rule 4? It seems like that could limit the flexibility to explore alternative modding arrangements.

2. If Iā€™m reading correctly, no one has the power to issue a site-wide ban. This makes me feel uneasy. In a perfect world, all mods would be able to ban a user from the whole site, theyā€™d just have responsibility for moderating posts in different places. On a philosophical level, this makes it feel more like two separate forums, and on a practical level, I worry that it could encourage people to push the limits in the ā€œotherā€ forum because the punishment for breaking the rules will be pretty mild.

2 Likes

I mean. Sure. Weā€™re all whiling away the tortuous hours until the sweet release of death, but I think if you came to a discussion on the correct rate of taxation and every question was along the lines of what is your plan to lower these business throttling economy destroying taxes you could be excused taking a second to try and reframe things.

5 Likes

I wish I knew who the captains were so I knew who people keep disparaging.

1 Like

The last 8 hours of posting has been revealing.

3 Likes

Kerowo, plz check if this is the appropriate venue to continue the conversation. I actually was just about to post here initially, but then decided to make a new thread. If not I can PM you, because I was just in the middle of responding in the other thread and then in the middle of starting a PM.

But for now, this is the start of the response, so youā€™re not hanging:

Kerowo, Iā€™ve liked you since the lolcat days back when I modded BBV4L, so that was all sincere what I just typed. It was literally going to be the first time I ever PMd somebody to hash something out, and I was just about to link the posts, so, umā€¦ Imagine how flummoxed I found myself when I noticed this:

I guess the plain answer is you donā€™t get it because you donā€™t read it? Iā€™m not sure what to call that. It could be brilliant, I donā€™t know.

p.s.

whatever

earlier

you said, at the beginning, that not just you, but no one, was going to know what I was talking about, so, not sure where we go from here

I never told anyone to leave? Why do you like to mischatacterize other peopleā€™s positions so much. I said everyone(with some very limited exceptions) should stay here and grow up. Sorry you donā€™t like that solution.

On the first point, I think the subforum will still be able to explore other ways of self governing, possibly involving a larger number of participants who are empowered to make decisions. The subforum could call those participants whatever they want (e.g., the counsel). The moderators are the ones that have the actual ability to carry out those decisions, and it seems like this job could be done by just a few people even if there is a larger deliberative body.

On the second point, users will have a sitewide ban if they are excluded from the main forum and the subforum. Weā€™ll need to check with the administrators to see how this could actually work, but it seems like by default we could make all users members of two groups: the main group and the subforum group. Moderators of each groups could then ban users by removing them from the group that has access to their part of the forum.

1 Like

I did a search to see if I ever complained about a moderators decision and could not find one. There may be something I am forgetting or looking in the wrong spot.

The only reason I have been posting about this subject is the gross mischaracterization of what is actually happening.

Just read the last 8 hours of posting. People posting screenshots of random forums, posters taking passive aggressive shots at other posters, posters afraid to actually call out who they are talking about, and people randomly talking about Sabo in a thread that has nothing to do with him.

It is actually pretty pathetic.

2 Likes

Ohhhh so mischaracterizing someoneā€™s position is annoying, you donā€™t say??

4 Likes

Potential DicaprioInceptionSquintFace.jpg but regardless, Iā€™m just going to do a Choose Your Own Adventure from now on and anybody can pick which adventure reply is appropriate for them.

Reply 1:

I literally started a thread, I think my first ever, to talk about this very thing because I genuinely canā€™t see how youā€™d say every post of mine is written with an implicit accusation that my target is incredibly dumb. Iā€™d say 10% tops, and even those Iā€™m implying that the target is being incredibly obtuse because theyā€™re clearly not dumb.

Regardless, MrW closed that thread for reasons he has not shared. If he meant that this thread is the appropriate venue, then we can proceed, but if not, Iā€™d like you to get clarification from him before I waste too many keystrokes.

Reply 2:

3 Likes

This isnā€™t true.

I mean, I didnā€™t get a chance to read it, I mightā€™ve noticed a sentence or two, but this clearly isnā€™t true.

4 Likes

Remember when you, Vict0ar and yadi were calling me a liar yesterday and then no one could come up with a meaningful example? I do. Now Iā€™m mischaracterizing people. How about no.

1 Like

Which part?

The only interaction I remember having with you yesterday was when I told you how I remembered the microbet getting a domain thing went, pretty sure I didnā€™t call you a liar in the post I was just sharing my perspective. If thatā€™s what you considered as me ā€œcalling you a liarā€ then I guess everytime your perspective varies from mine then you are calling me a liar

2 Likes

Itā€™s possible it wasnā€™t you. If not I apologize.

2 Likes

Holy balls this thread needs a throttle.

2 Likes

Slow reader, eh?

5 Likes