RFC: Proposed New Subforum

When did we do that?

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I said you all were faking it.

It’s hard to be community run if you don’t let the community talk about how the place is run.

1 Like

@goreo deserves a bonus.

9 Likes

It’s clear to me that much of the fervent opposition to this proposal isn’t due to concerns about how this subforum will work*. It’s because to vote for this subforum is to admit that those pushing for it have a legitimate complaint. It’s much easier to chalk this up to a bunch of trolls or malcontents than it is to admit that animosity has gone both ways but largely gets moderated from one side. That’s really it. There seems to be a group of people who want to maintain their ability to shut other posters down without repercussion and this subforum threatens that.

*I very specifically chose “much of” and not “all of” in this sentence. There are some legitimate questions about how this subforum will operate, posted by folks like rugby, bigoldnit, and others. But scroll up and look at the majority of the 240+ posts here and you won’t see much of that, just more of the same bullshit we’ve seen in all of these threads. I was against the idea of a subforum (verifiable in a post from a few days ago) until I saw how this has played out.

11 Likes

Last year when Micro started modding.

Well, microbet and the other moderators had very different approaches to moderation and were moderating alongside each other. That wouldn’t be the case here.

LMAO.

What is step 2 of horizontal modding?

I don’t understand your question.

Don’t talk about horizontal modding, or maybe that’s rule one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Of course you don’t.

How much of the success of the new forums horizontal modding is based on the assumption that the Captains won’t treat each other the way they treated the mods in the current forum?

This is how it will go, someone will post the latest Coronavirus lab theory or whatever in the new forum. A main forumer then may come in posting in a huff saying that is bunk and how could you spread such non-sense, blah blah blah. The “horizontal moderators” will tell him to calm down or just go back to the main forum if you cannot make your points respectfully.

At that point the person either calms down or continues on, maybe just to prove a point. If they do continue on in a disruptive manner, they will likely eventually be banned from the subforum. Which is fine, it wouldn’t work if we just had one forum but that is what the two forums with the different philosophies are for.

You don’t have to buy that the Captains have “solved modding” for this to be a good idea.

4 Likes

I think for the new forum to work there has to be a shift in culture to one of mutual respect, like bobman was talking about in his quote I put in the OP.

Some of us have been asking for this here for a long time. So I agree with you that it is necessary and I hope you pull it off.

2 Likes

In the halcyon days of “horizontal modding” at the start of this forum, which really just meant that people weren’t being as mean to each other.

Right, I want to go back to doing that.

I mean this sincerely but why can’t people just do that here. Or be expected to do that or face consequences here.

I mean maybe your honest answer is the mods but I don’t see how one piece of internet real estate will be different than any other with a similar group of people?

So how does cheering sabo on when he’s shitting all over me for making an offhand comment not even directed at him fit in with a culture of mutual respect? I get huffy sometimes but I never just shit on someone out of the blue like that.

I haven’t heard one of the sabo cheerleaders admonish his behavior or express any inking that they think there was anything wrong with it. They just keep doubling and tripling down - sabo is a genius, you just don’t understand him, he deliberately leaves out pieces of the argument so you can figure it out yourself - like the wise sensei that he is, etc.

I’m all for mutual respect - but if 1/3 of the forum still sees sabo as an aggrieved martyr, or thinks it’s perfectly ok to have a meltdown because you can’t use the c-word - then I’m never going to have respect for that. I’ll stay out of the subforum, even if I get shit all over in there. But I’m not going to appease posters who won’t meet half or even a quarter of the way.

1 Like

It’s called an analogy. I’m not saying it’s my anything. In my example half of the forum stays here and the other half leaves for SaboKeed world. The last thing I’m going to want to see is that forum sitting right next to this one everytime I see it reminding me of this ridiculous shit show.