RFC: Permanently Ban Churchill

Yeah, tried to give this place another chance.

Nothing’s really changed.

Enjoy your weekend.

Ban whoever you want.

2 Likes

A lot of the pro-churchill voters no longer post here and only come back to troll and protect each other.

Never the less, it does appear he will not be banned and will be free to continue trolling.

He has his profile hidden so it’s very hard to see his posting record, which coincidentally others defending him have done as well. Anyway, I’m pretty sure the vast majority of his posts are trolling the COVID thread, a recent drive by or two in the Ukraine threads, or About Unstuck.

1 Like

1998 called, it wants its internet terminology back

Now THAT’S what I call flaming!

1 Like

I felt a little cringey after posting that. Yes, I am an old from the olden times of the internet and I have old-timey jargon.

1 Like

Says a poster who, best as I can tell (profile is hidden) hasn’t been around for 3.5 months and only came back to defend Clchurchill and vote against this ban.

2 Likes

Me too. That’s why both my lines were also 90s tropes :D

Nothing in my post was less civil than yours. You claimed Jal etc troll. They do. You do to. Your posting is often drive by comments, often insults. Mine can be too. That’s true for lots of posters here (or anywhere on the internet).

1 Like

Imagine what the reaction would be if this involved other posters in a non-COVID topic.

Poster 1: I have friends in Kyiv
Poster 2: My cousin was in Mariupol
churchill: lol Ukraine

or

Poster 1: My nephew is trans
Poster 2: My child is trans
churchill: lol transkids

2 Likes

You might find this unbelievable, but I genuinely would enjoy if UP was a more tolerant place that was less focused on muting dissenting voices. My poll was initial snarky in that vein, but I edited it. I think banning RFCs in bans for awhile would be a good thing.

I never left UP and have been a relatively frequent lurker. I don’t post much because there seems to be little interest in a real community here. That is a bummer to me.

If that’s a riot to you, I’m sorry.

(That said, yes my post was a bit melodramatic, I admit. I’ll go back to lurking for now, good luck with your forum wars. I’ll probably still be checking in here on occasion, but don’t like the vibe enough to post regularly.)

You only come here to start and participate in drama. gmafb

You are the drama bro.

Anyway, peace… Out for now.

See you in a few months! And you can delete all these posts to so I can’t quote you later! I remember you calling for me to be banned. Weird how that works.

dont know if it has been addressed bc i cannot be bothered to read this dumpster fire, but, limiting users access in specific threads (they call them topics) was something I had researched a while back, here is the (frankly hilarious) discussion about it from the guy that built discourse:

TLDR version, “we wont do this because we would have to rearchitect the entire software (wut?) but also it’s dumb so we won’t do it.”

if you want that behavior you’re gonna have to make a specific category for that thread and then limit access to that category.

peace and love

2 Likes

I think we’d all like that, but what’s the solution? I don’t think your proposed idea of telling people to ignore Church is going to work. It seems long-term bans are out of the question. Do we just carry on the way we have been, where he pops in one a week to catch a ban until he eventually finds a better hobby? I’d appreciate a constructive answer and not just snark.

Do we just carry on the way we have been, where none of the Calvinballers ignore him and mods always temp ban him, until eventually Wookie and Goofy and Ikes find a better hobby than asserting they’re Authorities On Subjects who get to mock anything contrary to what they say, and then whenever there’s pushback from the mocked, bans get handed down to the unwashed?

2 Likes

if they do no one’s told me about it.

Short of banning anyone, what should be done? Maybe Wookie and CN ignore Church for a month and we see if the drama stops?

Is there a software way to force users to mutually ignore other users? Like if two guys are always going at it can the mods force them to not respond to each other?

They seemed disconnected, so I viewed it as two separate posts that were put together.

Even if this is a poorly-articulated post (and I believe churchill to be below-average on this forum in ability to communicate a point), it seems intentionally more antagonistic than it has to be in dismissing posters’ concerns about their kids. And I say this as someone who advocates attacking Republicans by going after their kids, even if they are minors, and who has probably had some posts hidden for saying intentionally gross things about Barron Trump. I feel like I know the game that’s being played here.

Anyways, CN and Wookie have demonstrated that they can be trolled by bringing their families into it, so look for more of that in the future, I guess.

They’ve demonstrated they can use their kids as ammo in Calvinball

1 Like