RFC: No thread on this site should be throttled without a really good reason

I think it’s an unworkable proposal, so I voted against, but I can’t ever recall seeing a situation where throttling was used and it represented good moderation. If people are breaking the rules, it’s not especially good to only allow them to break the rules once every four hours. And throttles invariably lower the quality of discussion for everyone.

2 Likes

Seriously just tell me how long we need to throttle those threads before thought is put into those posts. Like, a year between posts? How long does it take for a group of adults to realize that teacher knew when you were cheating on your book report and didn’t read the book, and it wasn’t because teacher was a wizard with magic powers?

I’ll wait a year, it’s fine.

Can you say a bit more? I don’t quite follow.

The RFC thing is the serious business I was referring to.

You just said the quiet part that they really didn’t want you to say out loud.

I feel like the quality of the drama threads has improved immensely after throttling. People have to consider what they want to say, there’s less angry spouting off and sniping, etc.

6 Likes

It’s a “RFC” that is just a continuation of a year long effort by the Captains to undermine the mods who are volunteering their time and have taken enough abuse. I stand by what I said.

This is the way these types of things are supposed to happen. I support having an open discussion about these types of ideas even though I don’t agree with the proposal.

6 Likes

Because the default is to have mods with some ability to control the discussion. Unless I am forgetting something we either agreed to that implicitly or explicitly. If the mods are abusing their discretion to throttle by all means have a RFC to remove them or to remove mods altogether.

1 Like

I agree. And perhaps we need an RFC for stricter modding in RFC threads. People like Wichita shouldn’t be allowed to derail the discussion with personal attacks.

You all are malcontents. The entire problem here are people who are habitually unhappy with everything. The mods, the rules, the bans, other posters political beliefs etc. This RFC is a malcontent RFC. If being honest is a banable offense then so be it but this place was a lot more pleasant before literally everything was whined about by the Captains.

Should throttles be able to be reduced or overturned by a simple majority vote?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

I think this question goes to what does it mean for someone to be appointed as a moderator. My interpretation is it means that person can use tools that are enabled for moderators on Discourse forums, including locking threads, hiding posts, throttling threads, banning users, etc.

We did adopt rules about appointing moderators a while ago. I don’t remember if they specified what mods can and can’t do. If there’s not a special description, my interpretation would be that moderators here are expected to do what moderators generally do on websites.

3 Likes

I meant what I said. If the majority here want to undermine the mods then have at it. It would be a mistake but you do you.

Seeing a bunch of mostly middle aged men whine and complain about an internet forum that isn’t perfectly shaped in their own idealistic image is sad. But at this point I would be happy to turn it over to the Captains if that’s what everyone wants and see what kind of utopia you can bring us.

This has nothing to do with undermining the mods. If anything, it’s diffusing responsibility. They answer to us, not the other way around.

I voted no because i don’t think an abundant of voting is beneficial. We need rotating mods. Not more involvement in every decision.

4 Likes

Which part is a lie? Lets see cites. I mean the “About Moderation” thread is full of malcontents malcontenting. I’ve seen it spew into almost every thread. Now you all want to make the actual forum rules. Ok have at it.

Well actually, it depends.

3 Likes

I agree we don’t want votes all the time. Instead, threads should just basically be left alone, unthrottled. The voting caveat is thrown in there for truly exceptional circumstances.

You want to eliminate one of the few tools the mods actually have. But you don’t want to undermine the mods? De-throttling the threads will just turn every one of these already needless threads into total shit shows. The solution always has been and continues to be people acting like adults and needing no or very little modding.

You can’t rule or un-rule your way to turning malcontents into ideal citizens of this forum. That’s a decision they have to make for themselves.

1 Like

On?