RFC: No thread on this site should be throttled without a really good reason

No thread on this site should be throttled without a really good reason*. When a throttle is in effect, conversations spill all over the place and make things hard to follow. Back and forth conversations become impossible and we are forced to write long essays back and forth or just not write at all.

Aren’t we here to have conversations, shoot the shit, and dispel grievances? Wouldn’t sorting out the shit from the last few days be easier if we had focused threads on particular topics rather than all the conversations everywhere?

*I can’t actually think of any reason a thread should be throttled, but I’m sure there are reasons I can’t think of. If users think there is a good reason, a poll will show this.

Proposal: Throttling a thread requires a community vote.

• Agree
  • Disagree

0 voters

1 Like

Reply: please consider the proposal on it’s own merits and avoid making this about “sides”.

1 Like

So moderators will just have to temp or perm lock threads when people get out of control.

Yawn.

I think an hour long throttle on some of the moderation threads would be good because it reduces bickering. Four hours seems too long.

3 Likes

I think throttling can be left to discretion of mods and admins. But if you think it should be up to a vote you might want to offer some more details about how that would work.

No, mods still have all the other powers. A throttle should not be a tool to deal with specific problem posters.

Ok, fair enough. Your comments have been requested, afterall.

Malcontents gonna malcontent.

2 Likes

Do you have any comments on the proposal? Please don’t troll this thread.

4 Likes

If discussions are spilling all over the place, then the grievance threads and moderation threads should be all combined to one or two, throttled threads.

These debates are not the main event. They should be kept to one small corner.

1 Like

The ridiculousness of someone who just got busted for coordinated a forum wide campaign of trolling demanding to be able to post more in the bullshit drama they created is inspiring.

3 Likes

Really good reason is subjective. One persons really good reason might be a nothing burger to someone else.

I think Goofyballer makes a good point. Mods need tools to do their job effectively.

Agree with Keed that 4 hours might be a little long. I don’t know what the other options are though.

It’s not a troll. The threads have to be throttled because the malcontents can’t control themselves. So just passing a rule threads can’t be throttled is insane given the current climate and the Captain posse here.

We know why you don’t want it. It won’t benefit anything.

1 Like

IT’S A BUNCH OF WORDS ON A SCREEN NEATLY ARRANGED INTO RECTANGLES FOR EASE OF ACCESS AND USE

DO YOU PEOPLE EVER EVEN READ WHAT YOUVE TYPED BEFORE CLICKING REPLY?

1 Like

mf said “out of control” like FEMA is gonna need to be called have fucking mercy already

3 Likes

Am I supposed to “comment:” or “reply:” or something?

The comment/reply was clear. That poster’s dramatic hyperbole has no place in a serious business thread such as this.

Thanks for adding some substance.

I don’t think you’ve ever said more than 5 words to me. Don’t pretend you know that my proposal is bullshit and I really am just here to cause trouble.

I’ve read plenty of your posting the last few days. I don’t think it’s a good idea to further undermine our VOLUNTEER mods.

Dethrottling the threads again just allows them to turn into the Captain slopfests they have been for a year. Hard pass.

It’s alright bubs, you will figure it out.

1 Like

I think we’ve proven as a community that we try to make being a moderator painful, so I’m in favor of throttling threads because it makes it easier for the mods. Four hours may be too long as pointed out by Keed, et al. and I think shorter throttle period would still achieve mostly the same result, since the goal AFAIK is to prevent the rapid-fire posting from individuals.

10 Likes