Reveal Thread: Walrus Grab Bag 2 - The Walrus Strikes Back

You certainly have a type!

Pretty sure this would have done worse but probably not significantly so.

I’m socially awkward sometimes lol so sorry to deprive y’all of a traditional rail. I aspire to be like Yuv. The kid is killing it itt.

My category

A song with a yeah! or other nonstandard language vocalizations.

had listened to these 2 songs recently, and they inspired this category.

On with the carnage!

A deserving dead-last and 1 resultant point to the goofball that submitted America - Trey Parker

yeah, no, troll. I wanted magic, not 'RonaEbolAids.

2 points to the next song The Jesus And Mary Chain - Never Understand

Where to start? They appear disinterested, and I sure am. Caricatured Andy Warhol wannabes. 80’s metal called, they want their monopoly on stupid hair back. Zero musicianship. Horrible vocal melody. Nice noisy outro or something. Kick that drum and play grab-ass, you’re not occupied doing anything else.

Bunch of ‘punk’ or watevs submitted. I get that there’s something to that sensibility that many in this forum find attractive, but good art isn’t flippant to me. Seems like some acts would almost blush if inspiration ever struck. Not that it’s likely, when the tool belt is barren. But there’d be internal conflict to reconcile wtf it is they do, with maturity. Oingo Boingo has nothing to be ashamed of, though. Up From Liberalism Punk Rock.

jfc, Riv, you’re all fucked up. lool

3 points for Helen Love - Yeah Yeah We’re Helen Love

lol no

4 points for Operation Ivy – Sound System

Just not impressed. Some ska thing going on. Heard this style music before. Not interested. The guitar tone is lame. Unless the music is seductive, I’ve generally no interest in the lyrics.

5 points for New Politics - Yeah Yeah Yeah

Sounds like so much of what’s available out there. There’s no juice. Derivative junk. Sorry.

6 points for Super Duper Love by Joss Stone

Healthy, attractive young people. I dig it. Have a hard time with white girls adopting that R&B vocal signature for some reason. Not the worst song ever lol

7 points for Ella Fitzgerald (with Duke Ellington’s Orchestra) - It Don’t Mean a Thing (If It Ain’t Got That Swing)

These guys have earned the right to goof-off, have fun and not take themselves too seriously. It’s not a jumping-off-point.

walrus4

8 points for Wolfmother - Dimension

There’s an authenticity to this trio. I’d heard this song before. Not bad, but not something I’d listen to voluntarily.

9 points for Kurt Vile - Wakin On A Pretty Day

Little long, but I dig it. Actually looked up the lyrics for this 1, and the dude is a tripper. Much affection. Dunno if the end is the start of the next song or a departure from the preceding 9 minutes, but I liked it. I like his posture on the album cover.

10 points for Pearl Jam - Black and just off the podium for familiarity.

Eddie and Co. in their prime. I remember buying the album Ten on @cassette Lacazette! and wearin’ that mofucker out. I was doing apartment make-readies at that time, before starting my apprenticeship in the plumber’s union. I would blast it inside the unit, and the manager would come in, doing a walk-through with prospective renters, and just cringe. Great track. Love this segment from the Letterman show and remember it live. Dave had that simple melody in his head, because it’s so fucking good.

walrus5

And then there were 3!

walrus6

11 points to The Datsuns - MF From Hell

Another straight ahead rock trio. The left-side guitarist reminds me of Jimmy Page in his look and manner, down to the Les Paul. It’s only rock ‘n’ roll, baby.

12 points for Faith No More - Cone Of Shame

Good video. Starts off a little moody. I like it. Then it gets heavy and there’s a part with a bar band lip-syncing ‘ohhhh ohhh ohh ohh ohh’ that I like. Great band, and I know The Real Thing and Angel Dust cover-to-cover, but had lost touch with them. A group that was initially on my radar in my late teens early twenties. 80s claim this band and Tiger Woods.

Winner winner!! 13 points to Gogol Bordello - Immigraniada (We Comin’ Rougher)

Poignant stuff, very topical. Every face in this video is beautiful.

Imee Granny ada!!!

walrus7

signing off, sports fans.

9 Likes

lol i have no clue wtf just happened, but i won

score for the immigrant!

5 Likes

Holy shit

Rivaldo coming in with the surprise night time reveal.

I think @Pauwl our scorer is asleep.

Mine is the First Lady of Song, the goddess and queen Ella Fitzgerald.

3 Likes

@mjiggy @eyebooger @LouisCyphre @cassette @CanadaMatt3004 @SwankyWilder @pyatnitski @seities @Nicholasp27 @NotBruceZ

2 Likes

lol you silly goose. Thanks for the surprise.

4 Likes

And Op Ivy is me. I love it even though you’d rather leave it. All good.

3 Likes

I was very obsessed with that record at some point in high school

Yeah me too. I never left.

I mean my other Yeah! contender was going to be Rancid or some other dumb shit so…lol.

Petition to move this reveal to the LC Big Brain thread.

1 Like

lol this is Rivtastic!

4 Likes

Rivaldo!!!

Mine was Kurt Vile.

2 Likes

Holy shit. Let’s gooooooooo

3 Likes

Nooooooo I got last place?

There is no more suitable use of YEAH than my song. Get bent baby

4 Likes

It even had the slow version at the end!

1 Like

Firstly, just wanna say that I know reveals aren’t easy for you Riv so I think it’s cool that you dropped it in a way that works for you. Well punctuated with Walrus pics and some of your burns made me lol.

Perfect comment imo.

I found that New Politics song kinda catchy and fun!

Also quite happy to ship 2nd place. Glad it was to your liking my man. That song has got a lot of listens from me over the last few years.

The singer from the first place entry makes me think of Mario if he took a different life path.

Entertaining stuff.

4 Likes

I can objecticely say it’s the best reveal ever. Roughly 5x as good as Pauwl’s and 4x of mjiggy.

5 Likes

4th place!

Doodoo-doo-doo-doodoodoo!!!

4 Likes

We’re driving to the mountains tomorrow, now i have a mini playlist to listen to for at least part of the trip.

4 Likes

Ikr?

3 Likes