Reveal Thread: Walrus Grab Bag 2 - The Walrus Strikes Back

women aren’t allowed to have sexual agency

2 Likes

Congrats to all non nodiumers

Edit - I missed this line from the writeup on gooba – “It does get an extra two points because quite frankly, I’d much rather hear that again than the first two :(”

3 Likes

Not me, but big fan of that Horse Lords track.

(Missed cassette had claimed it already)

1 Like

I won’t lie, the Horse Lords track got much better about halfway through.

In 10th place with 4 points

When We Were Writers by the Indigo Girls

This is probably the unluckiest entry because it could have easily finished 3-4 places higher. Sadly it was just bland to me. Never enjoyed Indigo Girls. The lyrics didn’t do much to me. Has a nostalgic vibe which makes sense for the time it is released, but it was really forgettable. Sorry, it’s not you, it’s me.

2 Likes

Indigo Girls 2/2 in 10th place finishes.

Also, not mine.

Yeah there’s no excuse for music like that these days.

Men are the worst

Next grab bag I’ll just submit Indigo Girls for every category as an easy way to do better.

3 Likes

In 9th place with 5 points

Bantou Mentale - Congo Animal

This is probably the song I listened to the most amount of times outside the top 2. It doesn’t sound like anything I’m familiar with and there are elements here that I felt I should like. Alas, no matter how many times I tried, it just didn’t come together to anything enjoyable for me. I appreciate going outside the box without torturing me, but at the end all I could think of is an African version of Ross Geller’s music. Sorry, it’s not you, it’s me (but also a little bit you).

3 Likes

My guess was pyat on that one

1 Like

Correct. They’re based in Paris now (originally Congolese) and put on a decent show. It is you, though.

2 Likes

I don’t mind it…but I bet they are more interesting to see live, based on what I’m hearing.

1 Like

Hahahhahaahhahahaahahahh!

1 Like

Not so sure about that last one.

In 8th place with 6 points

Faith Alone 2020 - Bad Religion

It might be unacceptable as a kid who grew up on Punk, but Bad Religion was never my jam. That being said, I did hear the original version and I generally like that album. Not sure what is the need for this piano version. Can’t imagine Punk songs improving in any capacity by going to a piano-heavy stripped down arrangement.
Decent lyrics, okay message, nothing out of the ordinary. Middle of the road for me, as the music was kinda dull. I’ll split it half way between you and me.

2 Likes

This offends me. The whole point of punk is completely missed here. WHY would they do this?

ugh, come on, BR, be better.

1 Like

Yeah, the first 3m40s were painful on first listen, then it improved significantly…for all of 10-15secs. Woulda placed it above that 6ix9ine track though.

1 Like

So far I have enjoyed the odd numbers (even that Gooba nonsense against my better judgment) and been bored shitless by the even numbers.

3 Likes

In 7th place with 7 points

Tennis - I’ll Haunt You

This is another very genre-specific song. Good example of dream pop. The harmonies on point, her voice is soothing, it gives me some Beach Boys vibes which I generally enjoy, but also can’t escape the vision of this as a part of Justin Timberlake SNL skit.

Good song. Sounds like it’s a good band. Just not really my thing. Sorry, it’s definitely me.

3 Likes