Request Product Recommendations ITT!

I don’t know if you can get these just for the back seat, but I put them in my fancy mazda cx 5 because I never a dog and a kid, and they’re definitely tough. Expensive though.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.coverking.com/heavy-duty-ballistic.html

If you want to go inexpensive, the weber smokey mountain puts out great food. A little learning curve but lots of resources online.

If you want to spend a bit the green mountain grill that I have is easy to use and has held up well over the years. Get a smoke tube if you get a pellet grill. They don’t put out enough smoke on their own.

Power issues have me thinking about getting a basic UPS. Mostly to power my router at least intermittently and charge portable devices. Under $200. Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VY6FXMM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_n0MwFb5C4TCCJ

I might just go grab whatever equivalent they have at Costco this afternoon and Idk if there’s anything special to consider so any opinions are welcome.

this is pretty close to what I wanted, thanks. I mean, they sell these as custom-fit for particular makes/models though my guess is that they have like 5 or 6 general shapes and just figure out which one is closest to a particular car.

I think UPSs are basically commodities at this point, just get whatever is easiest/cheapest

1 Like

They fit pretty close so I think they’re likely custom for each car.

Am I the only one who didn’t know these were invented?

I ended up getting this UPS from Best Buy. Probably overkill, but I got a little tired of using my car as an oversized and somewhat slow phone charger. Works fine, easy to set up, includes USB charging ports.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apc-back-ups-pro-1500va-10-outlet-2-usb-battery-back-up-and-surge-protector-black/6165881.p?skuId=6165881

Cool. I paid $180, $28 less than the current price.

I bought a Ninja Foodi Deluxe 8qt pressure cooker/air fryer that just arrived today. Looking forward to trying out all sorts of weird shit with it. It has great reviews everywhere I’ve seen.

Anyone have a recommendation for a new phone from Verizon? I’ve had a Moto Z Force Droid for a while, but it’s getting old and starting to fail in a few different ways. One thing I really liked about it was the battery pack accessory that gave it a really long life. That’s probably the main thing I want in a phone, a great battery life. I’ve been completely ignorant about pretty much any cell phone improvements over the last several years. I’m like an elderly person when it comes to phones. Apart from my Moto Z Force’s screen and internal battery starting to crap out it adequately does everything else I need it for and it’s several years old. I’ve never had an iPhone but if they’re clearly superior now I wouldn’t be averse to getting one.

Nice - I’m happy to answer any questions or offer up tips/tricks, just ask.

1 Like

I’ve always been a Samsung guy and have been happy.

I deal with iPhones at work and I’ve never been a fan.

Look at one of the new Samsung Galaxy 10s is whatever the latest model is.

2 Likes

I almost talked myself into buying a new tablet (Samsung S6 Lite) but 10" is a little big to hold for reading/browsing internet.

My old Galaxy Tab A 8.0 has been acting a little funky. I reset it and bought a new battery for it. New stuff cheers me up a little but maybe that’ll be good enough for now. Anybody want to try to convince me otherwise?

A couple of years ago i got a Motorola G6 for like $250. Was the best price point at the time for a pretty good phone with good battery life. I don’t often need it but i have a $20 aukey external battery that is good for 2-3 charges.

I use Google Fi and it’s like $30/mo.

I can confirm that every household in Japan has a rice cooker, and it would be unthinkable to live here without one.

I capitulate. However, I still cook rice weekly in a pot, don’t measure anything out and manage to not fuck it up. I have a small kitchen with limited counter space, and have been forbidden by my partner of adding more appliances.

1 Like

What percentage of households can cook rice as well (or close) without a rice cooker (and without the ability to look up the method)?

In Japan, people are serious about their toast, and the king of toasters is this $300 steam toaster:

https://www.amazon.com/BALMUDA-Toaster-Steam-Cooking-Modes/dp/B084KLWTQD

Though I just said EVERY Japanese household has a rice cooker, and that is basically true, over the past few years it has become a foodietrend to cook using a “Hagama,” which re-creates the way rice was cooked, over a flame, in the good old days before electric appliances.

hagama

Maybe one of these would be for you, Jwax.

I’d say that since most Japanese have grown up on rice cookers, they would struggle as much as a westerner when attempting to cook rice in a pot over the stove, with the caveat that they’d at least have clear knowledge of proper water to rice proportions.

I cook rice in a rice cooker several times a month and even I don’t have a great handle on proper water to rice ratio. I just put in X cups of rice and then fill the water up to the corresponding line by putting the pot under the tap. Any estimate on water volume would be pretty crude. I guess I’d be in the ballpark, but I also don’t have any idea how much wiggle room I have.

1 Like

I started buying the rice in the pack that you microwave for 90 seconds. Come at me.

1 Like