Request Product Recommendations ITT!

Just have a problem with ours. Whatever you get make sure you can clear any food bits out without needing special tools.

When you say screen quality, can you elaborate on which parameters you have in mind before I dissert on it?

1 Like

IPS screen FHD other acronyms that will sound like i know what im talking about.

Weā€™re on our third Whirlpool middle of the road dishwasher ($600-$800) (three different houses). Weā€™ve always had good luck with them.

I will say that I had a real hard time finding a dishwasher that had a macerator in it when we bought this house 7 years ago. I think the industry moved to ā€œquieterā€, and the macerators are loud, but theyā€™ll basically chew up anything and we never rinsed dishes when we had that kind. Now we own a quiet one without the macerator and it does a good job, but we do have to rinse some dishes before putting them in.

Iā€™m pretty sure we have some older version of this one and has worked well for us:

I will never buy anything Samsung again. Our washing machine was literally recalled for exploding and our induction range is awful.

1 Like

Avoid HP because they use shitty components that underperform despite the matching specs.

Every few years for the past 20 Iā€™ve vowed to get something other than a Dell laptop to combat my own bias, and every time after doing research I end up getting a Dell.

@Yuv, check here and pull the trigger on the best deal. At $500-$600, theyā€™re all the same:

ETA: If itā€™s in your price range, Iā€™d get a Dell. My firm is all Dell, and Iā€™ve had mostly good luck with them.

I guess what Iā€™m trying to suss out here is quality vs. features. There are aspects to consider on screens that are outside of specs and features, specifically backlight uniformity and color temperature uniformity. The short answer is that laptop panels suck in general, whereas some high-quality desktop panel makers still exist (namely Eizo, maybe NEC). Uniformity issues really annoy some people so wasnā€™t sure if you were one of them.

For specs and features, I guess itā€™s a long list:

Max resolution
Refresh rate
Panel type (TN, IPS, OLED)
Color gamut
Contrast / Brightness / HDR
Backlight dimming method (PWM?)***
Glossy vs anti-glare

Iā€™d be looking for at least 100% sRGB coverage, matte / anti-glare, IPS, ~300+ nits brightness, and 1080p native resolution. Even 1440p is overkill on my 14" screen, but I do use higher resolutions when running the signal to an external source so maybe something to consider. I starred the dimming because I think itā€™s often overlooked. Pulse-width modulation (PWM) is a potential problem with some people reporting headaches.

This site Iā€™m gonna link is one of the few sources Iā€™ve found with people who actually know what theyā€™re talking about if you want to get into the weeds on displays in general. Note that these principles are for faithful image reproduction, usually in a professional setting. I realize thatā€™s outside of your intended use, but the point is that these are the factors regarding screen quality. For video, other factors like refresh, sync, and other color standards like Rec 709 come into play.

Here is why specs arenā€™t necessarily meaningful for quality:

Their advice on laptops:

2 Likes

Iā€™m lazy AF, so I was really interested in this feature, but what I heard is that they donā€™t last as long and require more repairs than the Euro dishwashers that donā€™t have it. Also, theyā€™re louder. I still would have gone with it, but wife preferred the other ones.

I also heard that they donā€™t make ones with these essentially built in garbage disposals any longer. Not sure if thatā€™s true or not.

Also forgot to ask: what are the main uses for your laptop?

Iā€™ve been running an X1 Carbon for five years now and would not for one second consider going to anything else. Great screens on the new ones. Mine is an old gen that I run out to an Eizo if I need more real estate or accuracy. Downside is they are pricey.

Damnit we just replaced our refrigerator with a Samsung, guess weā€™d better pray. Actually our second refrigerator is also a Samsung and they were both recommended by the people at Best Buy so hopefully their fridges are alright. We originally bought a Frigidaire for the back room but it ran like a lawnmower while the Samsungs make virtually no noise at all. I think maybe we were told to get a Whirlpool for the latest replacement but I was snookered by the ā€œkids drawerā€ on this particular Samsung model.

I have no asks or recommendations but am already a huge fan of this thread.

We need as much stuff like this as possible.

1 Like

I like my LG fridge a lot and my LG OLED tv is fantastic so guess Iā€™m a fan.

I got a Ninja food processor recently and itā€™s way, way better than my old one.

1 Like

Iā€™ve used Samsung refrigerators forever and have never had an issue.

Cool. I have a couple of your products.

1 Like

Shot in the dark here but Iā€™ve been eye balling one of these for months and my willpower is waning

Anyone have any experience with either model? Iā€™m desperate for a new toy but donā€™t want to end up with a 1k paperweight

1 Like

Iā€™ve been on ON chocolate for like 15 years now

2 Likes

Seems insanely dangerous. Just get a motorcycle, imo.

No motorcycle was a prerequisite for marrying my wife unfortunately. Looking for a work around :joy: