Request Product Recommendations ITT!

Thanks JT! I ended up going with something from myprotein, which also rates quite highly on labdoor. got some samples of other flavours to try out, and 2.2lb of the smooth chocolate.

1 Like

Had a 1st generation chromecast for ages, it’s fine but it loses connection to the apps pretty often—so you have to mess about just to pause it when you want to. It’s mildly annoying, but not that miserable. My question is, are the newer devices better for that sort of thing?

Yeah Google sent me a new one a few years ago and it’s way better than the original. I don’t know if there are newer versions since then, but I’d imagine they’d be even more reliable than mine.

1 Like

Anyone know much about dishwashers? We need a new one but I know nothing about them. I typically target middle price and quality.

We want something quiet that actually cleans.

Any suggestions?

1 Like

I actually might need a new one as well

Miele and Asko are the nuts based on my research a couple of yrs ago. Went with Miele. It’s great.

Edit: I missed the part about middle price and quality. These are definitely not that. I guess what you’re probably looking for is a Bosch. That would have been my 3rd choice and they have some mid range models that are very highly rated.

Do I need to spend a lot? Seems like one of those things where you pay extra for dumb features no?

We don’t use the features very often, and you can get a base model with fewer bells and whistles. Where I think the Miele is great is that it washes well (almost no pre-rinsing required), and dries (in particular) well. Also it apparently is very reliable and holds up well (too early to tell in my case). It has a nice silverware rack which I think also gets things cleaner than the regular basket.

We had two Boschs before. Their reliability was not great, but it may have been variance since Bosch is very highly rated for reliability online from what I can tell.

Sheets. My Frenchie tore the LL Bean fitted sheet. I don’t love them. Would need a duvet cover as well.

If I don’t see something I like I’ll just replace the fitted sheet I guess.

Sheets are the one thing worth spending on imo. Super high thread count. Makes a world of difference sleeping.

People way way under spend on their beds and bedding in general given we literally spend 1/3 of our lives in them.

1 Like

Any specific brand? I spent on a latex foam mattress. This bedding is ok, but not great. I don’t really mind spending on this.

Nope brands don’t matter. Just pay more then you think seems reasonable. Highest thread count you can.

Does anyone use a wedge pillow?

I need a new laptop after my son very literally broke mine. No gaming needed, no touch sceeen needed. 14/15.6 inch are both fine, screen quality is key (relative to price of course). Looking at ~$500-$600 range. Anyone have any recommendation perhaps?

Thanks

Repair people have told me that Bosch makes the best dishwashers and Whirlpool makes the best washing machines. I have limited experience with both so can’t say from experience. Our house had GE Monogram appliances when we moved in and I wouldn’t recommend them - the refrigerator had issues and they’re all a pain in the ass to fix.

I think laptops in this range are basically commodities. All the same. Key is look for a good deal. Should find one $100 off easily.

Acer aspire is good.

+1 on this. They’re a great value compared to competitors.

To piggyback on this, I think washers / dryers is one of those areas that doesn’t really have middle ground. As far as I know, the absolute best you can buy is Speed Queen but they cost a fortune. The middle tier of “pretty” devices like Samsung/LG/etc seem like junk to me. We’re talking about machines with super high failure rates here, especially washing machines, and the drivers of cost on those units seems to be aesthetics and extra bleep bloop shit.

My set of Samsung front loaders play 8-bit Level Complete music when they’re done and have a million features I never use. The dryer drum is made of metal so cheap and thin that it cracked and split down the weld seam; that crack separated into a nice gap which could allow lint to escape right below onto the naked heating element. The replacement drum is at least $200 w/o shipping or labor and Samsung denies this problem exists despite it being widely reported. Fire risk from dryers is srs fkn bznz. Your wife/gf will want them because they look cool.

Whirlpool owns different lines you’ve probably seen including Maytag, Amana, and Roper. Not sure about any differences between reliability between those in-house brands but I think Roper tends to be cheapest and have very few features. I think the parts are mostly interchangeable between brands but not certain. I successfully repaired a Whirlpool washer within the past year. The main components are mechanical, modular, and so fuckin’ easy to replace a caveman could do it. This particular one had a bad timer box which I ordered for maybe $40 and swapped out in minutes. It’s a couple screws and pull the leads off the terminal quick connects (black box):

If your LG/Samsung goes tits up, it’s probably some $500 unobtanium PCB that needs replaced:

I used to have a set of ancient Whirlpool that my grandparents gifted me when I went to college. They were seriously from the '80s or some shit and still going strong. Gave them to my brother when I was living in a condo that already had a set. He got married, they mysteriously disappeared, and a new pair of shiny LGs now sits in their place.

1 Like

I’ve had a goatee for about 2 years now (never had facial hair in my life before that) and I bought a cheapo $16 beard trimmer from Amazon to maintain it because I wasn’t sure if I was going to keep it. Two years in I think it’s safe to say it’s gonna be around for a while. So I’m looking for recs on beard trimmers.

Don’t they also make some of the best vacuums?