Relocation in light of SCOTUS decisions

Iowa looking pretty good :joy:

Something like that could work, thanks. And I can drive into the territory to work, itā€™s not like theyā€™re going to fuck with me. If that starts being a thing, weā€™d want to move out of the US anyway, but ideally weā€™ll have a few years here to make our money and get set up. Sheā€™s going to be a nurse so our plan was a 1-3 year stretch of travel nursing and grinding poker wherever she works so we can maximize both of our earning power while still living off as little as possible (like $50-60K combined), save/invest the rest, and be extremely financially secure (not living large, financially secure long-term living our current lifestyle) at the end of it and able to move almost anywhere we want.

Yeah Denver is viable, although Iā€™d hate the winters there. The long-term move may also involve living outside the US and me doing some occasional work trips by myself, although Iā€™d hate to have us be apart for long stretches. But if thatā€™s whatā€™s needed.

The problem is sanctuary cities alone donā€™t keep Border Patrol from kicking down the door. The nightmare scenario to me is that over the next few years, Border Patrol learns they effectively have carte blanche because there are no repercussions for ~anything they do. Then Trump or DeSantis takes power and really sets to work weaponizing them, increasing their funding and hiring new ones - I mean, shit, they even go in for school shooters! Then they set up some hotlines, you know, for the racists. 1-800-FUCK-WITH-MY-BROWN-NEIGHBOR. Now every Ken and Karen is calling in Border Patrol to harass the non-white people down the street who they donā€™t like, and when they come knocking, if we donā€™t open the door they can just kick it in and all I can do is file an administrative complaint because Kavanaugh and Company said so.

Yeah I donā€™t want to risk moving to Texas, but statewide politics aside and just in terms of the people there and things to do, I like Austin a lot.

Is there 5/T (or bigger) NL there?

There are probably private games, but no. MN is all limit poker because of the $100 bet limit. 2-100 SL is the other option.

Have you considered living out of a trailer? If you want another source of income, I donā€™t think anyone has tapped into both the poker and RV/vanlife spheres simultaneously on YouTube.

How are you at 50/100 mix?

Well, Iā€™ve always wanted to learn mixed games. 50-100 mix? And I assume 50-100 limit hold em runs?

Both usually run as 40-80, but sometimes 50-100. Depends on the crowd. 20-40 Hold em game at Canterbury is great too.

Iā€™ve played 40-80 a few times, but usually play 6-12 o8 kill, 8-16 hold ā€˜em kill, 10-20 mix or 20-40 hold ā€˜em when Iā€™m there. The mix games are usually pretty draw game heavy last I heard.

1 Like

I briefly considered it and the YouTube angle before meeting my girlfriend, I donā€™t really want to ā€œsettleā€ down into that life though. And recreating the Breaking Bad private domicile scene with Border Patrol coming after here is quite literally my nightmare.

:fishing_pole_and_fish:

But I do want to learn.

Well, if you and your girlfriend operate a border motel called the Smugglerā€™s Inn, have convictions arising out of illegal trafficking in Canada, and have acted as a long-standing informant for the Border Patrol then you may well be right.

Also, if your license plate is SMUGGLR you may ruffle some feathers.

Otherwise, not much to worry about.

trump already send squads into sanc cities with full backing of the entire government. afaict it was largely ineffective - without local cooperation they seem fairly hamstrung.

Thatā€™s nice to hear as my best friend runs that joint.

1 Like

Minneapolis is a great town, but itā€™s not the snow thatā€™s hard to deal with. The miserably humid summers are what chased me out after a year.

Yeah people sleeping on Charlotte in here.

If itā€™s in the orange (I canā€™t tell) I might roll the dice on Austin as well.

If you want to stay in the northeast, what about Albany?

If being anywhere in the border zone makes me uneasy, I certainly wouldnā€™t feel super comfortable in a blue city in a purplish-red to red state.

1 Like

Agree. If Iā€™m worried enough to leave NYC, Iā€™m going to another countryā€”not North Carolina.

1 Like

looking at the map and begrudgingly picking austin.

actually maybe minneapolis, or pittsburgh.

although real answer for me is denver.

1 Like

yep

Denver is a good choice. There are some smaller cities in the Southwest that I have some affection for. Albuquerque, for example, is a smaller city that at least offers some natural wonders within driving distance, and it doesnā€™t seem to have yet been overrun by deplorable retirees like, say, Phoenix. But it could become unlivable as climate change plays out.

3 Likes
  • I actually think the Border Patrol might come through my door.
  • This is a thought exercise where I might want to liveā€¦

0 voters

Though I do have a chichuahua and considering what hey did to dachshunds in WWI, maybe I should be more concerned.