Questions about 6ix's ban

I’m talking about the last two weeks or so. Since the captains thread.

Say that, then. And cite. Feel free to submit a representative sample of each person’s posting. Maybe you’re right. But let’s pretend, for a bit, that data actually matters rather than just reflexive side-taking and finger-pointing.

1 Like

@microbet — you’ve said that we all own the site a few times. Do you mean that in a metaphorical sense that we are all members of the community and have a joint stake in its success, an aspirational way in the sense that we should all act as if we collectively own the site or some other way?

This may not be the perfect thread for this question, but it’s something I’ve been wondering about for a while and you mentioning it again in the OP reminded me about it.

I’m all set. I was replying to Clovis and he seems to largely agree with that sentiment.

I’d actually be curious if @Clovis still agrees now that you’ve clarified the timeline. Goofy has ~20 posts in the last couple of weeks that aren’t about hobbies. My inexpert perception was that he chilled out quite a bit after his own couple of bans, but maybe I’m just just missing something. I think we’d all probably find some surprises if someone ever did a blind study of posting histories.

Clovis, feel free not to weigh in if you don’t want to be further involved.

As I said, volume-wise it’s not close. I do think goofy has been one of the most toxic posters since all this began. He has chilled a little but he still posts bad faith stuff about the PM thread. As recently as a couple days ago he was doing so.

Either way, I don’t see much value in comparing bad posting. All bad posting is bad.

Fair enough. I never saw the PM thread, and missed most of the initial drama. Maybe I have an unrecognized bias about volume vs. intensity.

2 Likes

Ownership is not clear cut, so I have said both that we all own it and maybe simplicitus owns it, but I mean “own” in every possible sense of the word including legally.

Who do you think owns the site? Simp has the domain registration. I don’t know who has the DO acct now, probably olink. All of this took place with a general and vague understanding of “community” which could create a de facto partnership.

1 Like

I’m not sure who owns the site, but I don’t think that I own any part of it.

However, I can see the argument that all of us collectively created this site, the content on it, and the governance structure. To me that seems more important than the notion of ownership.

It seems pretty obvious to me that it’s owned by us all as a collective.

3 Likes

There was plenty of discussion about this when we formed the site and I believe @simplicitus offered to purchase the domain as a favor to the community without any notion that he was truly the “site owner”. He can correct me if I’m wrong.

3 Likes

I don’t mean to psycho-analyze goofy, but some of his posts have stood out to me on here recently. He’s a completely different person in our discord, which makes me think some things have frustrated him to a point on here that he’s letting it out a bit. I still think of goofy as one of my favorite posters on here overall.

I think tensions are understandably high right now and we could all use to cool off a bit. The hilarious thing about this is part of the reason we’re all fighting so much is that I think we mostly do all like each other here at the end of the day. But we have some very different viewpoints on some things that have caused tensions to grow in certain places and cause a lot of things to be overblown. Like we’re seriously fighting over some pretty silly stuff here.

I know people have been posting about the idea of Be Kind, but let’s expand on that.

1. Be Kind
  2. Feel free to disagree strongly, but try to do it in as respectful of a manner as possible.
  3. No name calling, we’re all intelligent and mature enough to move beyond this.
  4. Understand that if you get out of line you might be temp banned. Understand also that it isn’t the end of the world. If you have concern about it, PM the mod who banned you and have a real conversation with them about why they felt you were out of line. Understand it’s ok to agree to disagree at the end of the day.
  5. Most important, understand there is an actual person behind the words on the screen.
4 Likes

If you are just now noticing Goofy’s shitposting, you haven’t been paying enough attention for like at least 6 months. He’s been instigating and inflaming at basically every opportunity and it accelerated after he drama-quit from modding and mostly nobody cared. And he proudly holds hypocritical views, (for example, how frequently the same thing can be voted on), depending on what side his team is on.

5 Likes

Well it is because the site isn’t worth anything without it so there’s almost nothing to own. Any collection of people can take their share of the “assets” anywhere else any time they feel like.

Ownership is about rights. Not just the right to sell the site for money. Do you think you have a right to post here or are you allowed to?

1 Like

I don’t think I have a right to post here, but I do think there are good reasons for allowing me and other posters to post here.

Just because you own a sports team doesn’t mean you get to act anyway you want. :grinning:

1 Like

I think you and microbet are using the word “right” in different senses, or at least I am interpreting them in different senses.

I’m interpreting microbet’s usage along the lines of a “God-given right” and your usage along the lines of a legal right.

By the definition of ownership, an owner of a site would have the legal right to post on that site. And that would only apply to a full owner. A partial owner of a site may or may not have a legal right to post on that site.

1 Like

The question seems to revolve around is it better to have this nebulous “community” ownership, where no one truly owns it, or actually have one of the users be designated as the single owner of the site?

If a single owner is needed, there’s a scenario where I would agree to do it, but it would require the support of our current admins, simplicitus, and anyone else who owns any part of this in name currently. Not even saying I’m the best person for it if we want to go this way, but just pointing out it is an option.

This isn’t at all mysterious once you understand that his posting on this website is designed to make this place worse. He wants the site to fail. He almost straight up told us as much in the olink thread:.

I think Jbro was right that Goofy was hurt when he protest-resigned and nothing changed.

4 Likes

Is there any difference between your rights here vs 2p2 iyo?