Quentin Tarantino and other cancelled people

Is he though? I think he was mostly just trying to shock people.

Tarantino has publicly apologized (seemingly sincerely) for all of these. Not really saying thatā€™s enough though, there needs to be some sort of celebrity community service gulag where you do physical labor as penance, but full stop cancellation is just absurd.

My point has nothing to do with you personally. (not that you give a frick)

It has to do with how we consume these national enquirer style news hits and the dissonance between that and when we exclaim ā€œlol media.ā€

Assuming Tarantino had walked these comments back (in the past 18 years) is the most logical assumption. But that wonā€™t sell in the current timeline we are on.

Cherry picking the worst parts of humans via clickbait is reverse engineering the worst parts of religion.

Just found out Gary Oldman played Drexel Spivey in True Romance. Amazing scene.

3 Likes

This is certainly a correct take, but itā€™s also clear that itā€™s not just the man but his movies are also problematic, all these violent revenge fantasies have a clear fascist element imo.

Obv not saying he should be canceled or even that itā€™s not ok to enjoy themā€¦

QT is hit or miss for me but e.g. Hitchcock mentioned above will always be my favorite, which doesnā€™t prevent me from recognizing that a bunch of his movies have problematic elements, for instance vertigo can be both the goat film and a stalkerā€™s fantasy (de palmaā€™s body double is great for this as an honest remake where the hero is mega creepy).

Part of being a white dude is realizing that a lot of the culture you love is super problematic at times. Especially if youā€™re a sci-fi dork.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/derek8185338005/status/1414143110104317956?s=19

2 Likes

Can you expound on this? Just not seeing it.

Deathproof was an homage to all the 70ā€™s cult classics that were a huge influence on him remixed as a female empowerment film.

Same thing with Jackie Brown.

1 Like

Just wanted to footnote this by saying this is directed by Tony Scott.

Have you seen Crimson Tide?

This is part of being a film junkie.

The end game of these cancellations is not watching films because ā€œSatan.ā€

Donā€™t see this either. Not all right-wing nor all violence is fascist. The lone wolf doing revenge isnā€™t really a fascist thing. Itā€™s not like it was part of fascist propaganda. That was about rallying around the people. The right people to be sure, but itā€™s still about subsuming the individual. Stabbed-in-the-back is certainly a motivator for fascists and thereā€™s revenge for that, but betrayal is different. Kill Bill has some elements of that, but not really on the nose there because the hero sorta betrayed the villains. Regardless it wasnā€™t clear.

Anyway - hatred of people for perceived betrayal and disgust of perceived disloyalty? Thatā€™s totally fascist. But, a victim getting revenge? Not really.

Iā€™m actually only thinking of basterds and Django, where you have the same basis of designating a group of hatable people and then spending half of the movie showing and enjoying their gruesome deaths. Sure we all agree that nazis and slavers are bad, but this ā€œglorification of violenceā€ (sorry for the cliche phrase) seems ethically very dubious to me.

This bad impression is also increased from various ā€œmachoā€ stuff from Tarantino himself like finding ā€œvery coolā€ the fact that every Israeli has to serve in the military at 18yo or something like that.

(However Iā€™ll also say that 10 years ago feels like a very different time from now. Like at that time I actually thought that everyone agreed that nazis and white supremacists were bad, and that choosing them as victims of violence was simply a way of making the easiest choice. Now that this belief of mine has been clearly proven wrong by facts I might appreciate these movies differentlyā€¦)

1 Like

Dunno. I mean I can get violence is bad, but Django others slavers, not white people, and Basterds others Nazis, not Germans. They both seem pretty anti-fascist.

1 Like

To me it really seemed that choosing the fascists as targets was more of a pretext to enjoy their deaths than an actual political positionā€¦I felt this pretty strongly at the time but like I said I might see it differently today idk.

1 Like

If enjoying the deaths of truly evil people is an ethical lapse, itā€™s a pretty small one, imo.

QTā€™s penchant for violence only bothers me when the other parts of the film donā€™t hold up.

Iā€™m not rewatching Reservoir Dogs since the torture scene disgusts me and always did. (This is probably the closest I could get to seeing the fascist angle)

Still noteworthy for the dialogue.

Same for Django. Donā€™t think the soundtrack meshed well (pretty rare for QT) Violence was cartoonish.

Didnā€™t mind it in Inglorious Basterds. Necessary. Good people had to do it. This might be his most cohesive film. My #2 QT film after Jackie Brown.

If someone says their favourite QT is Jackie Brown they donā€™t like QT films.

1 Like

Tarantino isnā€™t really a guy who can be cancelled anyways. He is only doing one more film before retirement. He will have enough supporters to get it funded, produced and distributed.

Is choosing to scroll by Kill Bill in the Netflix catalog going to make any sort of statement? Will it even be noticed?

Like what is the proposed action for people to take with regard to him. Just donā€™t watch his last movie?

ok fine with me, Iā€™m in, but I donā€™t see this making any sort of statement he will care about or provide any deterrent to others who admire him and want to follow in his footsteps.

1 Like

Blockchain never rests. Iā€™m watching SG-1 and the guy who played the movie director in ā€œTrue Romanceā€ is in this episode.

He plays a douchebag director in this too.

Iā€™d have True Romance in the top 3 if it was directed my QT.

Curious if any director has used a similar concept for a scene in the way Scott did in this and Crimson Tide.

Jackie Brown is outstanding.

6 Likes