Programming

We don’t have to, discourse did it for us:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-is-ending-support-for-internet-explorer-11-ie11-on-june-1-2020/137984

I was looking at how to check which browsers are hitting us and I couldn’t find it in the settings.

ETA: doh, ponied

Fun facts at kickoff meetings really force you to ask some tough questions. “Holy shit what is actually interesting about me?” Micro-aggression imo.

Other fun thing on this meeting - POC that I worked on a year ago - literally just the bare minimum to prove the concept, involves interaction with a reluctant dev team on the vendor side who apparently have no front end resources, listed as being completed by 2/12. This is the guy I’m supposed to work with I guess “running point” not technical at all.

Whole project was listed to be done by 3/19. My boss was like “This is going to take a couple years.” Craziest disparity in expectations vs. reality I’ve ever been a part of.

Luckily I’ve got the captain thing in my back pocket and that generates small talk and interest. Otherwise it’s like “uhh, I play a lot of video games and shitpost on facebook, that’s about it”

Is there a project manager involved? Fuck project managers. Worthless. I totally understand the ire directed at me when I was doing that.

Yeah it’s a 3rd party vendor that we’re integrating. Apparently the checks just got signed or something. Clearly no idea what the work involved really was - so let’s just set some ridiculous dates and see how it goes.

Yea in those situations I just go into full CYA mode but luckily there’s a pretty decent and realistic upper management team at my current company.

2 summers ago I was given point on a project to integrate our embedded database into this startup’s shitty enterprise database. It was one of those “check’s already signed, we don’t care about this anymore” from my company. The other team was absolutely clueless and blamed us (and me) for every tiny problem they encountered. Most of the time I’d debug it and it’d be their mistake but their CTO would go behind me to my manager to complain. Ofc my boss would just show me the emails anyway. Still wanna send that dude a nasty linkedin message. 10 years ago I would have. He was trying to cover HIS ass because the project was hopeless from the start and we were all just thrown into it.

Learned a lot of lessons from that. Working with external teams is horrible.

1 Like

Don’t know if this is already sorted, but if you need SQL help I should be able to help, that’s my day job.

1 Like

woot!

If I spent half a day and learned the schema and the tables and brushed up I could probably figure some stuff out. I’m just really bad at joins and stuff. I took one database course in college, and it was heavily relational DB stuff. Then of course I get a database job out of college and it’s a k/v store, lol. No sql involved at all. I suck at it generally.

I work with SQL server which uses Transact-SQL, I assume the back-end for this is not SQL server but SQL dialects are sufficiently similar that I should be able to work it out.

Let me know what you need. I guess you’ll have to get me a copy of your schema though.

2 Likes

I honestly have nfi. This forum is exhausting me a bit, I think I’m taking this weekend off of learning. But in a few weeks I’ll get back to you if I am stumped. Thanks!

1 Like

I can learn to code in 26 weeks for 12 grand from OU. How do I say no?

It think the db is postgres.

Not sure if serious or sarcastic, as I’m from Europe I have no idea if OU stands for quality education.
I do have an opinion about “online coding bootcamps” in general though, as I came to my job through one and have since been involved in hiring (mostly rejecting tbh) and mentoring people who went trough bootcamps themselves.

They (the bootscamps, but also the “graduates”) mostly suck, at least the ones who didn’t have prior experience and / or a ton of dedication. The courses themselves ore often quite good, and if you have the spare money and know no programming you will learn a ton, just don’t expect to be a good hire after completing it.

YMMV, every person and online course is different. I paid about half for mine and it was a big (but fun) waste, from a “becoming a real programmer” POV. I did get a job from their Slack Channel though, and experience in that one made me a real programmer, so financially it was 1000% worth it in the end.

1 Like

My entire CS education was ~25k

12k for 6 months feels like a lot. I do not have experience with these things though.

lol CS education

Yea

My entire CS education was $117.

3 classes at SF City College for $13/credit hour.

1 Like

I think my education was somewhat of a waste of time for what I actually do. Too much time spent on math and theory and not enough hacking stuff. I didn’t even touch (or ever have to) the command line til my final quarter.

I know a 2p2er that went to the same JC and Uni with me at the same time, he was about a year ahead. Very bright guy. He works at google now. So it worked out very well for him.

I also got my first job from a professor. While that experience sucked, I still got something out of it and now I work for a pretty decent sized, successful company.

If I had to do it over again I’d do it the same way.

I like to brag about being a college dropout and non-stimulus-receiver but honestly what it comes down to is being lucky enough to have good programmer/logic genes. My uncle created undo!

If you don’t have high income right now, government help in pell grants can be generous — taking the costs to zero. Which can make the traditional CS degrees more attractive if you have the time.

1 Like

Well, I got the excellent presentations part, at least.