Presidential Debate Thread: Take 2 (Tonight at 9 PM Eastern)

Biden did so bad it was Trump that lost!

2 Likes

Seriously though this could be the death kneel for debates as they are really only downside now.

1 Like

You’re not looking forward to the Harris/Trump debate? He can’t really duck out of it without being relentlessly criticized.

3 Likes

Harris is going to crush him.

2 Likes

There is no winning a debate against Trump no matter who is on the other side.

donald trump steadfastly refuses to exist within the context. it would be a fun debate i think. but i was hella wrong about this last one lol i couldn’t have been more wrong so don’t listen to me

2 Likes

He isn’t going to debate her. The press will make excuses for him and it won’t matter 1 shit

5 Likes

Kamala laughing at Trump while he gets pissed off would be a win.

2 Likes

Yeah he’s not gonna debate her.

Nah. Pete would destroy him. And I say this as someone who thinks that 95%+ of clips posted of “X destroying Y” don’t actually show a destruction at all.

2 Likes

Yes and no. Our side would believe Mayo crushed him in an academic sense, but Trump melting down and calling him a homophobic slur would actually earn him more of a bump among actual Americans, sadly.

1 Like

They are downside for weak candidates, but not doing them is also downside for weak candidates. Biden was already getting clowned in the polls pre-debate, so just hiding in a bunker would also have not worked out well.

1 Like

Disagree. Pete would destroy him despite that. My definition of destroy is basically “so bad even his supporters cringe”. He’s quite good at this shit. Even with that move, Trump is toast.

It would have worked a hell of a lot better than going out there. He’d still be the nominee.

“Even supporters cringe”. Someone has not been paying attention.

They’re still going to support him obviously. But they would understand that it is apparent to all Trump is spewing bullshit. They wouldn’t care enough to change their vote, but they would know.

If you don’t like “cringe” substitute something different. How about “even his supporters know that he lost badly”?

Well in hindsight sure. The point is that debates are a way to try to shake things up and for a candidate trailing in the polls, that can be a good idea even if the average effect is negative.

It’s hindsight to us, but surely people around him daily could have predicted something like that was going to happen.

Bump for tonight. Hopefully it’s substantially less of a disaster than the last one.

2 Likes

I was about to say that I hope it’s exactly as much of a disaster but on the other side, but is there anything Trump could possibly say that would move the needle on him at this point?