Potential outcomes of Russian invasion of Ukraine discussion (WWIII/nukes?)

In the spirit of using the other thread to discuss actual news about the current situation in Ukraine, let’s try using this one to spitball about possible outcomes of the conflict and what might be turning points that drive things from a casual Russian invasion to a full blown nuclear apocalypse.

It’s on my mind but I’m not at the point of being really worried about this. That said, I’m with @suzzer99 on dieting. I made a batch of banana chocolate oatmeal cookies and even though I overcooked them so they’re a little hard, if we get to defcon 1, all those fuckers are getting eaten.

Also up for a Dr. Strangelove watch party now or after things settle down a little. I’m rusty on my cold war jargon so a review would be good.

1 Like

3 Likes

Good excuse to not grade papers. I mean if we’re gonna get nuked any day, what’s the point?

3 Likes
How does the war in Ukraine end?
  • Nuclear WWIII, downfall of humanity
  • Total Russian victory, puppet leader installed, opposition crushed
  • Quagmire, puppet leader installed but toothless, ongoing insurgency lasting years
  • Temporary Russian victory, puppet leader ousted during subsequent insurgency
  • Partial Ukrainian victory, Russia retreats, annexes Luhansk and Donetsk along with Crimea
  • Major Ukrainian victory, Russia retreats, returns Luhansk and Donetsk but not Crimea
  • Total Ukrainian victory, gets back Crimea as well
  • Something else (please specify)

0 voters

2 Likes

I was pleasantly surprised at the number of people between Trump and actually launching nukes, but have little to no confidence similar controls exist for Putin. All he needs is likely a couple loyal dudes in a nuclear sub somewhere. That’s terrifying.

I voted something else because poll lacked an I have no fucking clue option.

or bastard

Well we have at least a half-dozen movies on this. Also we know one sub officer wanted to launch tactical nukes at a US warship during the Cuban missile crisis, but was outvoted 2-1.

As for me, we’re putting our dog down on Wednesday, so I’m spending these days really sad and pissed at the world and this whole thing is just another log on the fire.

At least my dog will go peacefully before the end of the world happens. Good timing, I guess?

22 Likes

Absolute worst part of owning a pet, sorry to hear about it.

1 Like

Don’t forget the two keys that have to be turned at the same time!

I know little to nothing about nuclear weapons, so this is probably a stupid question. Are we sure Russia still has operational nukes?

Anyone else undertaking any doomsday planning here? Like mapping out the best direction to drive away from cities and military bases, and considering throwing some clothes and food in a go bag?

1 Like

Lol

3 Likes

The material that goes into the warheads is pretty stable and Putin bragged about some new types of hypersonic missiles just a few years ago so they probably still have at least a few.

Only one in a thousand being operational is still enough to majorly fuck shit up.

You think if nuclear war breaks our, driving a few hours away will do anything?

I have thought about it a little bit and the conclusion I came to is to just move the closest to where the nukes land. You wouldn’t even know what happened. Surviving for a few months after all out nuclear war doesn’t seem like much fun.

1 Like

Yes? Even with 8ish mile blast radii, being 100 miles away is a big advantage for your chances to survive

1 Like