Police Murder George Floyd Then Riot Nationwide (Links to Streams in OP)

I don’t come to Unstuck to post my opinions. I read to collect information, to learn from intelligent and thoughtful people, and to form educated opinions that I can call “my own”.

This post is a great example of why I incessantly read this forum.

20 Likes

Ha, I wish we could explain to all of the “independent thinkers” that there is no such thing as your own thought.

You’re doing it right. I am so thankful for everyone who posts so intelligently here.

6 Likes

Grunching, but I have a cool story to share. When I got home today, my favorite doorman was here. We usually chat about sports, sometimes news and politics, so he knows where I stand. He’s a black guy in his 20s or 30s.

So we were talking a bit, and I asked him if he saw the NHL had cancelled two days of games. He looked surprised and said, “For real?” I told him about the NHLPA statement, and he was just like “Wow that’s great.” He said he feels optimistic and hopeful about the future when he sees things like that, how far this is spreading. I said, “Yeah, I mean the NHL of all leagues - that’s about as white as it gets, it’s good to see those guys are getting it and standing up.”

He said he thinks humanity is resurfacing, and maybe this is the moment for things to finally really change. He then told me that before I walked in he was literally sitting there watching videos on Twitter of NBA players speaking out, so we talked about which ones we should both check out if we hadn’t seen them.

For all the talk about where this leads and how we get there, how bad the current situation is, etc, and for all of the doom and gloom that I and others project here, it felt really good to just see the human impact of the NHL’s decision on one average person in real life… to see a black man in America feel hopeful and optimistic right now? That’s something. That’s a big thing.

God, I hope he’s right.

16 Likes

Yah like for all some will denigrate lip service and symbolic victories, acts like these among sports leagues serve to inspire hope for the hopeless and action for people who otherwise just couldn’t bring themselves to care.

4 Likes

I agree that solidarity is a lot to expect. I was incapable of it for a large part of my life. Heck, I didn’t even know it was a thing, let alone had a name.

In America, our art and our culture is for the most part white washed of the symbols and storytelling that demonstrate solidarity.

https://twitter.com/trbrtc/status/1298839097923063809

Interesting thread trying to piece together Rittenhouse’s timeline

2 Likes

The most inexplicable part of his story is that he’s protecting a car dealership in a state he doesn’t live in.

I’ve seen something else about the first guy he shot who was chasing him and if it’s the same guy he was acting quite crazy earlier. He was a white guy with the BLM side who seemed to be calling the militia guys the n-word and telling them to shoot him and being pulled back from fighting. I think it’s going to end up all looking like self-defense for the murderer, but he started it by being there with his assault rifle menacing people who were not doing anything violent for no decent reason.

3 Likes

Yup, 100% this.

2 Likes

If it’s the same car dealership, the owners of the dealership even said that if burning the cars helps bring justice, it’s worth it.

1 Like

The fucking Governor said “I would hope that we would be able to find a more, a better way to help him … in recovering. That seems counterintuitive. It seems to be bad medicine.” as if it was the doctors who put him in handcuffs.

CNN calling a wildcat strike a wildcat strike though

“The shooting has spurred nightly protests, and a wildcat strike across the sports world.”

1 Like

Ugh, he’s 100% going to walk on any charges related to the shootings. They may be able to get him on some lesser charge like menacing or something like that, although I kind of doubt it, and I don’t know enough about the law to really say.

Depending on the kind of gun it may have been a Class A misdemeanor for a 17 year old to open carry it in Wisconsin. He may have violated gun laws in Illinois as well - depending on the kind of gun.

1 Like

I hear ya loud and clear on this. To the point where I’m considering flipping my stance on its head when it comes to guns and gun rights. Fuck all those people (including me?!) clamoring how we need our guns to protect against a tyrannical government. We are witnessing tyranny NOW! Where the is everyone?! I hate to think I’ve soaked up NRA talking points (I hate the NRA), but it sure looks that way

I guess I am critiquing, but I don’t see it as uninformed. What I’m advocating is a more unified approach to activism. I get that it’s possible to care about more than one thing at a time, but we are severely disorganized. I think streamlining our efforts would lead to much more efficient results

There’s just too much shit going on right now and all the chaos and division and I fear it’s just further entrenching the far right. Not that there hasn’t been progress. I love what some sports teams have done and was honestly shocked by Goodell’s about face on taking a knee

This is an excellent sentiment that I’m sure most could get behind. But what if fixing one takes care of the other? Isn’t it the end result that matters? And honest question… Who do you think the culture wars and these riots are hurting? Like I said, I think there’s a reasonable chance it entrenches the far right. If corona starts trending downward by November (which I think it should?) and the economy get even the tiniest bump, I there’s an excellent possibility Trump wins a second term. And that helps no one!

4 Likes
3 Likes

People actually changing their minds when presented with evidence is so rare we should have a museum thread just for these type of posts. It wouldn’t be very long.

7 Likes

https://twitter.com/fordfischer/status/1299237223880065026?s=21

Also I guess there’s a black dem state rep (thanks for correction t50, prob should’ve read the tweet slower haha) endorsing trump for re election lol

https://twitter.com/fordfischer/status/1299250167925833729?s=21

1 Like

If we abolish the police, who will give aid and comfort to white nationalist militias?

I haven’t really changed my stance on guns, but until recently I’ve never even thought about getting one.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1299335846512881665?s=19

1 Like