Police Murder George Floyd Then Riot Nationwide (Links to Streams in OP)

So there’s not gonna be a police department in Minneapolis? Or are they just firing everyone and starting over?

He sucks but has always been in the top 5% of GOP since 2000. That isn’t much of an achievement though.

1 Like

You’re way off base here, for many poor people and minorities the military represents one of their best chances to get to college.

1 Like

No. FAFSA and pay as little as you can on the loans is a way less costly route.

Yeah. And when they reinstall what’s left of that trash in the Never Again Museum of Racist Statues, that’ll be still more history.

If Trump gives a speech about race relations, there is no bottom for how it could go. There will be at least five unintentionally racist things in it. The question is if there will be anything intentionally racist. Just kidding. Of course there will be.

2 Likes

I’ve got a cousin who is a PD and is doing god’s work. Granted the area he’s in is nearly entirely simple/small stuff like possession, petty theft, duis. But he’s told me that everyone in his office is 100% all in on the work they’re doing. Couldn’t imagine someone doing that job and not having a true passion for it.

Yeah that’s what I’ve seen too.

Every single person ever says the public defender left them hanging but I don’t think that’s too common. Not intentionally, anyways. They are overworked and have absurd caseloads. There’s only so much time in a day, so it’s not even their fault if they roll into a hearing having looked over the case thirty seconds before.

https://twitter.com/nhannahjones/status/1269425687309541377?s=21

5 Likes

I’m way off base saying people that willingly join the most powerful force of murder in human history that disproportionally kills poor brown people on the other side of the world strictly for profits and influence is bad?

Yea I’m gonna stand by my statement. Neolibs and their milquetoast half measures can fuck all the way off. The existence of the US military is the biggest detriment to this being a half decent country for the ~40% of the population that earns low wages.

https://www.iraqbodycount.org/

6 Likes

I’m curious if any of them also crave the security of a guaranteed paycheck.

I think you are right about this in some ways. I think you are right about this for the people that deify the military or service in the military. Where I disagree is the disadvantaged people that are conned into the military. You can argue as much as you want that 18 years olds are making a conscience choice. My counter argument would be think about how less enlightened you were at 18. How much dumb shit you let people around you talk you into. For me it isn’t close and so I mostly blame the system rather than the poors who get conned into becoming trained killing machines without even consciously realizing they signed up for it.

2 Likes

Obviously we need to defund the military too. We need to get rid of all tie-ins between education and the military/police complex. That includes ROTC in HS & college, and police academies at JCs, and all this blood-money scholarship shit.

What’s the maths say… 1/4 less air craft carrier == no tuition college for all? Only being able to destroy the entire world 22x instead of 24x == M4A?

The phraseology of “abolish the police” and “defund the police” both seem not super great/not very declarative.

What I think everyone wants to say is something like - “Too much money is being allocated to the police. This money would be better used in other social programs like health or education. The police in their current form are beyond repair. We need to start over from scratch”.

So I think “remake the police” or “start over” might be better?

“abolish the police” sounds like libertarian shit and will confuse everyone into thinking the protestors are crazy. There isn’t going to be a police department? “Who is going to come to help during the next mass shooting?”

“defund the police” - this is hard to differentiate between “abolish the police”. See above.

2 Likes

In addition, unlike cops, service members can’t just quit even if they begin to feel shame.

Doesn’t look like this has been posted in this thread yet. Pretty rough to watch.

Officer has been charged with assault and battery

It’s a good point. You are stuck for 4 years even if you feel guilt a week in.

It’s one thing to sign up unwittingly, I’ll buy that plenty do that. How many quit when they see it for what it is? Past a certain point, it’s just infantilising people to refuse to hold them responsible.

1 Like

They don’t have a plan yet on how to replace them. Better figure that out pretty quickly…

You not wrong, but you’re also definitely a sucker. The problem is that when an repub has a shred of integrity, it’s so striking that you give them way too much credit for it.

McCain snowed me for years with his “Obama’s not an evil Muslim” correction of his constituent at the town hall. He had one or two other moments like that as well. I probably still give him too much credit for it. He deserves more than zero credit, but less than what I gave him.

4 Likes