Police Murder George Floyd Then Riot Nationwide (Links to Streams in OP)

have the cops actually ran someone over? Ive only seen them ram people, none of which looked like it would have caused even a visit to the ER

I don’t know when the civil war started, but it sure feels like we’re in it. I’m fucking floored that like Obama and 43 are just chilling at home watching this without even the slightest attempt to bring people together.

I’ve probably seen five videos of them driving at people, I don’t know that any of them have been “run over” per se. Some were clearly intentional and involved driving into a median or pulling a U.

I just returned from the Dallas protest. Trains were shut down due to curfew. All protestors were peaceful. There was a lot of yelling at the police, clearly people are in real pain. But the police did stay restrained. Several officers talked to the protestors and answered their questions. I was on the periphery as the police cordoned off the bridge before I arrived. Unfortunately, I saw probably 30 transport vans as Dallas PD decided to arrest everyone who remained on the bridge in violation of curfew. I’m glad I went. I don’t want stay on the sidelines anymore.

11 Likes

joined 6 hours ago.

sure.

4 Likes

[MacGuyver whisking away in view of curious onlookers as he mixes a batch of water, Kosher salt, and corn starch funneled into oversized condoms to produce an arsenal of fake jizz grenades an instant before his Casio calculator watch alarm reveals the time: curfew.]

6 Likes

I mean… Like 9/10 of my political philosophy can be summed up by Fred Hampton’s “you don’t fight capitalism with black capitalism” monologue so it’s hard for me to not full face-palm at stuff like that, but I’ll save it for tomorrow.

3 Likes

:eyes:

No, go ahead.

Thing is, there are different types of progressives represented on this board and in this country, and in this coalition of the “left”, and the socioeconomic type isn’t better or more progressive than the identity politics type or the civil liberties type. Just different. I totally understand that you and guys like MickDrew in that tweet think that all idpol problems can be solved at a socioeconomic level.

However, this is a time where you might consider listening to your idpol progressive friends just this once. From their perspective, guys like MickDrew come in and co-opt or diminish their message and replace it with their own class warfare message. That, of course, makes them mad. They then lump you in as a “bernie bro” and stop listening. There is a reason that stereotype exists. Hell, I’m guilty of it too.

You might even be right. But right now, just shutting up and listening to black people is a little more important than your class war.

5 Likes

You know what, can we either ban new accounts or, preferably, create a private thread/forum for people who are organizing or protesting? @zikzak @ggoreo I’m forgetting to tag someone else who does backend stuff and I feel terrible for that.

1 Like

This is a mistake. If my brother says it was “perhaps foolish”… it’s foolish. My advice is again: always use the buddy system. Networking is great, and a primary purpose of protesting. But you really got to know people ahead of time to trust them for a “next time”.

I’d 100% bring a phone, I can’t imagine not. I wouldn’t be too paranoid about it. Your main worry should be lost/stolen as always. A burner solves all those probs very nicely.

If you’re on the outskirts, as you damn well should be, nobody is really going to be paying attention to you. If you see something, just yell about it a bit. Everyone will proly ignore you anyways, but you did your part.

The reason not to take leaflets is because if you get caught up in a mass arrest, and you got the wrong trash in your pockets (which you haven’t read front & back), you could get accused of being in this-or-that group.

I really hesitate here, I proly should be saying just don’t go period for health reasons. But if you make the considered decision to go… have fun. This is really the funnest stuff in the world.

1 Like

huh? Are new members not allowed or something?

1 Like

5 Likes

So inviting

1 Like

Really just this. Lots and lots of this. Stand with them, listen to them, put a hand on their shoulder when they need it.

1 Like

Bookmarked but I’ll just say before I go to bed: I’m not, or at least I try hard not to be, a class reductionist because, if a person’s opponents have a politics that takes into account their identity then they damn well better have a politics that reacts in kind. I get it. This identity politics part can even be the cornerstone, I just don’t believe it can be the entirety.

Also, like I just said to Michael,

that kinda puts people like me in an awkward spot in regards to “listening to black people”. But that doesn’t necessarily mean I’m done shutting up and listening.

3 Likes

Sounds like PocketChads will be able to hook me up with some people thankfully!

I’ll have to see if I can find a burner on the way down or back, and could use that future times.

OK, cool.

OK, cool. I was thinking it could even be undercovers handing out ridiculous shit so they can nail people on domestic terror charges like Daddy wants.

For long-term mental health reasons, I can only take so much more of this before I have to in order to be able to live with myself. Without a doubt, if US soldiers shoot US non-violent civilians on US soil, I’m in the streets.

I’ve asked my parents a few times what it was like growing up as teenagers in the Civil Rights Era. Their responses were some form of like, “Well, uhh, it was on tv and stuff but it was mostly just normal.”

That just can’t be my answer if we get through this.

I can see how it might be in some ways, but man it doesn’t seem like it’s going to be fun. So far I’ve been to IIRC 3 Women’s Marches in DC, a Protect Mueller (lol) protest in Baltimore that was pretty cool because Elijah Cummings spoke, and an Impeachment protest/rally in Philly.

Given that any one of us could be falsely categorized as Antifa and charged as terrorists for like standing in a street holding a Black Lives Matter sign, I think this is what we need to do.

Sounds like something a cop would say.

They mean the question

seems a little suspect and JAQingesque.