Police Murder George Floyd Then Riot Nationwide (Links to Streams in OP)

You guys are terrible at math

1 Like

lol I mean if they arrested them the riots would stop, freeing up a lot of time and resources.

10 Likes

Your common sense runs contrary to Cop Logic 101.

I can barely beleive he texted me that excuse with a strait face.

2 Likes

It’s difficult to find very solid info, especially without an agreed definition of ‘excessive’, but:

The federal Justice Department releases statistics on this and related issues, although these datasets are only periodically updated: It found that in 2015, among the 53.5 million U.S. residents aged 16 or older who had any contact with police, 985,300 of them — 1.8 percent — experienced threats or use of force. Law enforcement officials were more likely to threaten or use force on black people and Hispanics than white people, according to an October 2018 report. “When police initiated the contact, blacks (5.2 percent) and Hispanics (5.1 percent) were more likely to experience the threat or use of physical force than whites (2.4 percent), and males (4.4 percent) were more likely to experience the threat or use of physical force than females (1.8 percent).” Of those who experienced a threat or use of force, 84 percent considered it to be excessive. In terms of the volume of citizen complaints, the Justice Department also found that there were 26,556 complaints lodged in 2002; this translates to “33 complaints per agency and 6.6 complaints per 100 full-time sworn officers.” However, “overall rates were higher among large municipal police departments, with 45 complaints per agency, and 9.5 complaints per 100 full-time sworn officers.”

Threat versus use is a difficulty, and it’s going to depend on how many of that 84 percent you think are just crybabies or whatever, but one in ten thousand?

Who should awval call if his $20 tax savings is counterfeit?

9 Likes

So there’s a chance the police station gets burned down tonight?

Jmakin posted probably the only good answer I could imagine (deterring and possibly tracking down counterfeiters) but if this guy stayed to eat his Doritos outside the shop then it’s like <0.1% chance he’s a gopher and was most likely a victim of the same crime as the shopkeeper.

4 Likes

I did the math. 27 million officer initiated contacts per year / 1000 officer involved homicides = 1/27,000 stops results in the civilian’s death. So I’m not gonna feel bad about saying 1/100,000.

Holy shit. That’s INSANE.

5 Likes

What about the excessive force, though? 84% of ~1/50 regarded as excessive by the civilian involved. If only 10% involve use rather than merely threat, and if fully half the 84% are just crybabies, you’re still off by an order of magnitude, right?

My estimate for the % of excessive force complaints that are valid are 10-20%.

Lol no fucking way, how can you possibly still hold this view?

1 Like

I have to say, just a few years ago, my estimate of the number of secret torture sites operated by US police departments would have been zero. I find out there was one and I’m legit very surprised. I’d be significantly less surprised to learn of another, you know?

3 Likes

Chicago police love using black sites, I would be surprised if they still didn’t have any

3 Likes

Using a randomized controlled trial, approximately 400 LVMPD officers were assigned into one of two groups: a “treatment” group with body-worn cameras and a “control” group without. After one year in the trial, the number of officers with at least one complaint of misconduct had decreased 30 percent for officers with body-worn cameras, but had decreased only 5 percent for control officers. Similarly, the number of officers with at least one use of force incident had decreased 37 percent for officers with body-worn cameras, but incidents increased 4 percent for control officers.

1 Like

Dude… just accept that you’re massively wrong about this. Like this isn’t a debate. This is really happening. We’re definitely at the ‘what do we do about it’ phase.

But my sympathies on having to learn that we’re all living in a country that is systematically committing crime against its own citizens to continue a program of dividing the lower classes along racial lines.

It’s even more nuts when you know he lives in or around Chicago, a city known for cops torturing people and paying millions upon millions of police misconduct settlements every single year ($113 million spent on police misconduct in 2018)

2 Likes

Yep. Chicago has a lot of lore about police misconduct. I’m sure most people who got 6 figure settlements in more modern times deserved them.

@JohnnyTruant No.

Totally agree. There is a lot we should do. I just don’t think that includes giving up on the justice system for misdemeanors and low level felonies.

4 Likes