Police Murder George Floyd Then Riot Nationwide (Links to Streams in OP)

Bob McCulloch was a Democrat.

Black Liberation Army. Look them up.

This governor’s presser is pissing me off. He keeps saying shit like “yes of course all of these things black people go through are wrong and terrible, but you need to stop breaking things so that we can begin to work on solutions”.

WHERE WERE THE SOLUTIONS BEFORE TODAY? Like if you knew this shit maybe you should have worked on it before now. Maybe you should say now what your solutions will be if the looting stops! But nah we’re gonna give a speech as if it’s to a bunch of fucking 10 year olds.

7 Likes

That’s how they’re acting.

I strongly disagree here. That would just get people needlessly killed or warehoused into the prisons.

IMO these misunderstandings flow from a believe that there is some kind of a “left” -vs- “right” symmetry here… where the donkeys, and some fringe are the “left”, while the elephants and some fringe are the “right”. This is the garbage in. And this concept of left/right symmetry is the garbage out.

1 Like

I have this exercise I go through when I don’t understand others’ behavior. First, I assume that I am not inherently better than them. Then, I consider what life experiences it might take for me to act similarly. Then, I think deeply about the life experiences that these people have had.

I have lived my life up to this point trying to make other people feel safe. I have never been in a fight, threatened violence, or shoplifted. But given a lifetime of cumulative disadvantage, racial/social injustice, community violence, toxic stress, and ongoing societal apathy - it’s hard to guarantee I wouldn’t be the first person lighting a match.

Look at these actions through the perspective of someone who has never felt safe, respected, understood, or equal. Then think about how we fix those underlying problems.

19 Likes

2 Likes

It’s about time to do this again. They occupy our cities, we shut our cities down.

1 Like

This is a much appreciated post, good advice, and I will spend more time thinking in this manner before opining again.

1 Like

From a political perspective, this horrifies people who crave order. To get them to vote for Democrats in November, Trump meddling in Minnesota needs to lead to a greater level of disorder, so that Republicans are not seen as a viable solution to these problems. We need him to visibly fail in a way that is much more immediate and direct and visual than his failure on COVID-19. Arguably, this needs to get worse before it gets better.

This take is only half cooked on my part, but the list of people who want everything to burn being more like the center-establishment people on the forum is not that surprising. A tit-for-tat battle of Democrats vs. Republicans or Protesters vs. the Police is the status quo. Arresting, prosecuting, imprisoning, even executing the guilty cops is not systemic change.

Abolish the Police. At least abolish them as we know them now. The rules have to change for the “good” cops as well as the bad cops. Policing has to change and not just civilian oversight committees - they already have that.

1 Like

MN Public Safety Commissioner: “I know people were upset about the murder of Floyd, but the people out there on Lake Street at 3 AM weren’t those people”

This is really gross.

12 Likes

Don’t you think his job as a governor is to maintain law and order? Like, as a society you can’t have total anarchy. I’m not sure what else he is supposed to do or say.

I’m not sure either. The bed has already been made. Lie in it.

1 Like

Telling people that they’re only fake-upset is sure to calm then down.

5 Likes

How about we messed up by allowing a legal system to stand that makes it very difficult to arrest let alone convict cops who murder civilians. Here is the legislation I am proposing to the state assembly to correct that issue.

5 Likes

Police were out of control and murdering people. Declare emergency. Put police on unpaid leave. Organize citizen watch groups. Turn police stations into homeless shelters.

8 Likes

https://twitter.com/mndps_msp/status/1266338580596690949?s=21

Most of the images I’ve seen have them wearing masks, so maybe it won’t be so bad.

All the images I’ve seen have shown the majority of protestors wearing face coverings (albeit cloth masks for the most part), so maybe this will also be a case study in how effective cloth face coverings are.

1 Like