Poker Hands and Strategy

A hand like A8h27 is not very good, for example. A lot of suited ace hands are very mediocre.
Theyre much more playable in live full ring passive games vs online 6 max.
You’d also prefer A8hKJdd over say, AKhhJ8dd because your opponents can make a king high heart flush rather than blocking it yourself.

We should generally avoid playing these kinds of hands in early position but it’s not the end of the world to do so in late position.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about the game clovis has been describing.

The NL equivalent is playing hands like KTo in a no-fold-em game. You start to think that the hand is very playable because lots of players are playing almost any Kx hand, so if you flop top pair, you have a good chance of winning a big pot off of someone with a worse kicker.

I think KTo is a playable hand in such games, but only in a passive preflop game where a lot of pots are limped but then players put in too much action preflop. I’m generally folding KTo in loose games where I am likely seeing the flop multi-way in a raised pot.

In general, I think you do need to tighten up preflop, but you can loosen things up postflop. In these sorts of games, preflop hand selection becomes much more important because you have to show down a hand. There’s not much room for getting creative on early streets and taking the pot away uncontested. You have to be more technically sound. I’m a lot more strict about playing hands with danglers, three to a suit, no suits, or bad gaps.

I might almost never raise preflop in clovis’ game. Since it sounds like it is so easy to build big pots preflop, I might as well maximize my implied odds by keeping the SPR as high as possible. Unless you can start making the giant raises that squeeze people out of pots, often by back-raising after having previously called, then it doesn’t seem worth it to raise.

Depending on how aggressive the game is preflop, I would play very tight-passive in early position and never raise UTG. I would loosen up as my position improves. The position I would be most likely to raise preflop would be a pot-builder in the CO where the goal is to buy the button by getting the player to my immediate left to fold the hands that he would limp with but not call a raise with. I would not make that raise if my opponent has no such range.

The opposite is true. If you are going to crush soft games where people are piling in bad money, but limping a ton pre you should be isolating them and getting money in position pre rather than hoping to cooler people 400bb deep.

2 Likes

Not trying to be a dick, and I don’t know Omaha well, but your take on NLH is absolutely wrong. You need to raise and isolate in position in this type of game. It’s not correct, whatsoever, to play tight passive in EP.

I’m talking about loose games where it’s impossible to isolate preflop.

You can find a sizing where isolating is possible in NL. It’s very easy to just end up going 8x or whatever.

Like, if you’re not raising KKJ10ss or AAJQss utg in a weak passive PLo game you might as well just get up and go home.

1 Like

You don’t need to cooler people when they stack off with two pair. That’s not a cooler in Omaha.

Also lol to isolating on this game. I’ve literally never seen a heads up pot for several sessions.

I’m sitting in the game right now. There is something like 35k on the table in a 1/2/5 game!

3 Likes

Depends on the board and SPR ldo.

1 Like

You guys are good luck I literally just doubled the next ha d. Up like 2k!

6 Likes

I’ll be there whenever they have a series, gl.

1 Like

For sure.

This game is legit like Holdem was in 2002.

Been a long time since I played in AB games but my lifetime hourly in 1/3 (mostly $5 bring in) PLO is $80.

Probably could be close to $100 in those games.

1 Like

This is why I was never good at PLO.

If I get something like A :spades: A :diamonds: Q :spades: J :diamonds: and raise UTG and 4 people call and the flop is 9 :clubs: 3 :diamonds: 3 :heart:, now what?

Depends on table. That’s often a good flop.

In plo you are playing aces for their set value more than pair value.

I guess you’ve never been in a game where the first raiser makes it 15x (or someone opens to 3x and another person 3bets to 15x) and gets five callers.

I’m not sure why I need to raise those hands UTG. Let’s consider a game with the following traits:

• If I raise, I get a bunch of callers who have position on me
  • No one ever three-bets me without AAxx, not even to squeeze callers in-between, unless they can get it in preflop.
  • If I limp, someone occasionally raises and I can 3bet with a range that includes hands without big cards
  • When I limp big pairs, I am much more likely to get multiple streets of value in set over set confrontations

I do a lot of limping in EP. Since hand values run together in PLO, raising preflop increases variance but often has a marginal increase in EV. Premium hands do gain from raising preflop, but a lot of that gets canceled out by the positional disadvantage of being in early position. So, I raise to build the pot when I am in position or when I have the ability to knock out players and get some dead money in the pot.

Anyways, speaking of people never folding preflop, here’s a hand I recently played.

I limp black KK32ds UTG. Call, call. V1, a doofus with a 130 stack makes his typical stupid, predictable pot-builder raise to 15. Two bad players, V2 and V3, call. I make a small raise to 50. I’m sure you know where this is heading. Short stack jams. Call. Call. I pot. V2 tanks for a long time, counts out his chips, and finally decides to sigh-shove for about 800. V3 asks to make sure that doesn’t re-open the betting and reluctantly calls. He later said he called only because V2 called. Of course, I call. There’s about 1500 behind for the two of us. Flop is 987, all red. I give up and check-fold to V3, who I have played a lot with and is never betting against me unless he can beat AAxx. He has AT62ds and rivers the nut flush for the side pot. V1 has T6xx and takes down the main with a straight flush. V2 doesn’t show.

Yep, also flush draw over flush draw value is big too with players who will go nuts with pair + FD or gutter + FD.

On paired flops you can just bet a quarter pot and evaluate. These types of passive players will mostly turn their trips face up.

1 Like

I would normally check-fold the flop unless I am exploiting a moron. Maybe check-call if the bet is small. I would also consider leading out for something like quarter-pot, which I also might do if I had AA3x.

That’s usually quite safe. Bet usually around quarter to half pot, fold to a raise is the standard line.

2 Likes

Where do you play? So far I’ve heard the PLO in Houston and Miami have been super soft, but not so much in Vegas (where I’m headed in 2 weeks).

Always felt like I should get more into live PLO, but then I just get deathly bored after 45 min. Too many years of 8-tabling 6-max PLO online.