Poker Hands and Strategy

These two statements seem contradictory to me.

I didn’t hit my set, yet it’s “often a good flop”?

He’s in Alberta, which at times has had the softest PLo games on earth. Peaked around 7 years ago.

Love you NBZ but your style would cut my winrate by 80%.

1 Like

Ahh makes sense, been hearing about those Edmonton and Calgary games with oil money for awhile.

Yep I think on average Alberta has the softest games in North America for the last decade.

1 Like

Good in the sense that you can squeeze out value from JJ-KK without being at much risk of getting run down and easily get off your hand if beat and rarely bluffed out (against this field).

1 Like

Exactly. People see monsters under the bed too much in plo. Just because there is a pair on board doesn’t mean someone has it. Bet, evaluate and maybe fold is the line on this flop.

I’d disagree with Clovis that AAxx are only for set value, but also these live games are often 400-500+bb deep. You just have to adjust a bunch at those stack depths your expectations, lines and strategies.
It will be uncommon where you can 3 barrel unimproved Aces or bet them unimproved on the flop 4+ way.

Low paired flops are amazing for AAxx. Very often we see semi connected flops where very mediocre hands have 40% against us. That’s vs a single villain. Now, on more connected flops we can be behind a lot.

On a board like 933 almost the entire population plays face up. It’s just a dream.

2 Likes

I remember playing PLO in the explosion and it was simply you needed the best hand at the river.

lol isolating strategies, that requires people folding preflop and if you’re in that game you’re playing way too tough a game by most live standards.

Agree. I should have elaborated that aces are good for flushes etc and if heads up or three way a flop like 933 can be profitable.

In this game where most pots are 5+ handed and it’s really deep you need to be more cautious on that flop.

You can win 75bb/hour at PLO?

The thing is, sure the bad players are still calling with junk. But the mediocre/bad players are often folding out their bad hands/equity. We are fine with a fish limp calling 2710J single. But if we over limp and allow an extra two people into the pot, we now have ~15% equity vs 27%. That’s gigantic.

I’ve averaged about 25 lifetime and I just doubt a guy who often shortstacks and doesn’t have a raising range is doing much better?
No offense really, but that’s just…not optimal.

From my excel my lifetime hourlies are:
1/2 NL $33
2/5 NL $68
1/3 PLO $76

5/10 for both are insignificant samples of under 500 hours.

been maybe five years for live PLO for me but I’ve never played a game where 5 people didn’t go in preflop routinely. Don’t know what this fold word you keep saying is.

1 Like

But you have to calculate your equity as implied against the likely pot size. I’ll take 15% equity in a $700 pot over 27% equity in a $100 pot al day.

I’d say 4 is about average, but you’ll still see one or two like NBZ at most tables that are tight/shorstacking.

When people are limping 2379 single, we want them to put in $20 pre not $5.

I normally buy in for 100bb and I have a win rate somewhere between 10 and 20 bb/hour. I could choose to buy in deeper, but I generally choose not to, at least not for my first few buy-ins. I also don’t top off my stack very often.

I am very aware that I am a limited player and that there are other players who should have higher win rates, but I think part of my edge is simply not spewing the way others do because their ego makes them over-estimate their advantage. I also have very good tilt control, so a lot of my game is simply being patient until someone tilts, then pouncing. I will admit that my game is not very conducive to putting the sort of bad beats on people that turn them into tilt monkeys.

If they’re going to stack off with bottom 2 or whatever in a limped pot, they’re going to do the same thing in a raised pot while also getting a player or two out so you might not get in the same bad spot you did with 77xx.

For sure. I raise more than I limp on this game. Just making a general theoretical point.

Do you calculate SD in your spreadsheet and, if so, what formula do you use?

As someone playing for fun now I enjoy all the tough spots this kind of game puts me in. That’s the challenge.