Poker Hands and Strategy

It was basically always straddled so more like 325bbs but yeah dude is nuts and I had made a terrible fold against him earlier in the session when he blasted the shit out of a smallish pot over an all in on 822ss on a 5-way flop and showed 8xxxss.

I open limped 5432ds UTG because it wasn’t a super-aggressive table preflop and I hadn’t played a hand my first hour at the table.

I do a lot of open-limping in PLO in EP if I never get 3bet by anything other than AAxx.

There are very few set combos obviously, it’s mostly weird stuff like QQ77, JJ77, KK44 etc if you have a set, but I won this basic exact pot yesterday by having 78910 in a spot like this. They have 789J. It’s not that different. You also have to be really, really lucky to not be up against a flush draw. With neither villain having a spade, you have all of the equity if you have even a very middling hand like A1089ss or A567ss, or the more plausible combos of 910JQss type hands.

I know it’s a weird line, but I would have considered flatting the flop bet with the intention of donk-shoving the turn against this player.

Which turns? Are you shoving board pairs that aren’t a 10? Are you shoving when the flush comes? Are you shoving K/A/2/3r cards that are very unlikely to improve your range or yield a fold?

Like it’s a dumb spot where villain is so far below the bottom of their range we can’t believe they didn’t fold. We’re basically in the middle of our range because we don’t have spades and are super happy when we see their hand until we see the board brick. Lol omaha.

1 Like

The complicated answer is that it depends a lot on my live read of his reaction to me flatting and how I think he reacts to non-standard plays.

I think it’s a mistake to not at least consider the possibility.

Motherofgod.gif

Im still fucking around here and there at NL which I used to be good at, but holy shit even I know that’s awful in omaha.

We know the blaster is a whale and I do give these types of people in the moment at times way too much credit. I think things like “they have to know the all in player has AAxx, they have to be isolating with at least decent equity vs such!” Obviously I’m still fine getting in our actual hand, but I think flatting is lolbad, especially when you end up getting in a situation where you can see two turns/rivers by getting it in now.

I can kind of understand your sentiment if we are running it once always, but especially knowing we get 4 cards, we should never flat.

Honestly, the big difference between micro stakes PLO and midstakes online (and higher stakes live) is that the fish in micro are passive and in higher stakes they’re aggressive. That’s really it. In microstakes they’re limp calling everything and playing garbage. In higher stakes they’re potting and 4betting those same hands.

1 Like

True in NL as well.

God there was this one reg back in the day who was like 28/2 with a 5% raise percentage and 75% fold to cb and he was my favorite.

I’m totally inexperienced playing deepstack PLO and kinda learning as I go because the games are amazing but I really can’t imagine doing anything but ripping against this dude. He’s way more likely to fold if I donk on the turns that I get there than the non-spade ones where I brick and ripping spade turns as a bluff is insane.

1 Like

Balancing implied odds of hitting vs maxing out the fold equity with your draws is something I never got a solid hold of in Omaha… and it was something I thought I was really good at in holdem

It’s kinda hard to say without specific table dynamics and without knowing V2’s reraising range but based on my live poker experience, you’re likely up against a mid pair or AK/AQ maybe AJs If he thinks your range is pretty wide. But i suppose big pairs are possible if he thinks there might be some limp repopping going on. I feel like it’s a very table and read-specific spot.

At this point what are you folding? 550 to win either an $1850 or $2400 pot. Time to gamboooool!

Pre-flop levelling wars are the nut low. Most rec players don’t play a consistent range, they sort of have an idea of what their range is then add or subtract hands based on a number of factors (how bored they are, are they trying to order a drink, are they targeting a specific player, etc.). So trying to range them preflop is a fools errand because it’s like hitting a moving target in a dark room. Just play a good consistent range and let their mistakes pay you off. Every time you deviate from good preflop play to try and pick on a weird range you are putting yourself out there in a spot where that may be a big mistake.

That said, pulling off the occasional limp/re-raise with AA/KK is fine if the table conditions call for it, because then it doesn’t really matter what range they are playing, you crush them. At this point it becomes an exercise in how to get the most money in to the pot. If you are doing it with any hands other than these, you’re potentially making a major mistake. I’m not saying it can’t be done profitably with weaker hands, but you are entering no-mans land at that point. Good luck.

Ranging V2 is weird here because he should never be doing this. But you do see it occasionally with a hand like TT-QQ, where in a multiway pot where the value of these hands shrink tremendously. They don’t want to 3-bet them because they know that if called or 4-bet they are going to have a hard time especially multiway. But once you re-open the action and give them a window for what they perceive to be a flip with overlay, they jump at it. Other times it’s just a weirdly played AA. Then sometimes it’s 74s.

2 Likes

solid, solid write up of what I was thinking but couldn’t explain.

Live poker is dead, everyone’s solid…

7 Likes

White magic

Toby Boas raises to 4,000 from under the gun, Phil Hellmuth (pictured above) calls from the next seat over and Edgardo Rosario (pictured below) three-bets to 16,000 from the hijack. Both Boas and Hellmuth call.

The flop is Spade JHeart 10Spade 9 and action checks to Rosario who bets 40,000. Boas folds and Hellmuth goes into the tank.

“Do you have ace-king?” asks Hellmuth, before he calls all in for about 32,000 a few moments later.

Rosario shows Club KClub Q for the nut straight, while Hellmuth turns over Heart 4Diamond 4.

The Spade Q turn puts a few outs to a chop on the board, but the Heart 7 river locks up the pot for Rosario and eliminates Hellmuth.

Edgardo Rosario – 250,000 (125 bb)
Toby Boas – 70,000 (35 bb)
Phil Hellmuth – Eliminated

7 Likes

Did Hellmuth berate Rosario for 3-betting PF with KQs?

2 Likes

Helmuth called off a third of his stack preflop with 44. The absolute worst of the 3 options he had there.

3 Likes

He is legit bad at poker. Objectively so.