Poker Hands and Strategy

Seems like a crazy hand but if he bets the river he probably wins and it looks straightforward.

I do limp-reraise occasionally. For me, it’s a combination of winning more money from players who raise light but don’t three-bet light, especially against me because they respect my raises, and setting up the table for L/RR bluffs.

Playing this deep is about a few things.

For most people at 1/2NL, it’s about having a better understanding of relative hand value and maximizing profits because of it. Most of the time that’s because there’s some drunk/cokehead/tourist so when you hit your set you crush their soul (or something).

Calling 2000bb overbet bluffs and an overcall with a weak two pair is decidedly not something you really want to be in usually. When everyone is that deep, it’s far better to have less skewed ranges when out of position.

He doesn’t really have a good bet-sizing that doesn’t leave him vulnerable to either getting bluff-raised or massively value-owning himself.

Limp re raising pre 3000 bb deep is laughably bad. Why don’t you go ahead and turn your hand face up for the table.

There are multiple horrendous players in the game with super deep stacks. All you have to do is cooler one of them and you make the most unsustainable 1/2 win rate in history. This HH makes me want to tear out my hair.

4 Likes

LRRs are fine, especially in live 1/2 games where idiots call preflop way too loosely. My issue is creating 600+ dollar pot when 4 players with ~2500 BB deep left to play. Position is so crazily crucial to make good decisions on turns and rivers in that kind of pot. The 150 is nowhere near enough in that specific game to achieve the goal he set out to do.

1 Like

Imagine bloating a pot OOP 3000 bbs deep in PLO with AAAx and then trying to out play 4 people on a coordinated board for 3 streets.

2 Likes

Said what I said but so much better ty

I agree he didn’t execute a LRR well in this spot. I wasn’t sure if you were against LRRs in general. I’ve had arguments with people who insist you should never do it, but I also have a more balanced LRR range than most people.

Some of that pot was due to him basically doing a bunch of ego stuff at the table against a fellow vlogger who was also at the table. That’s partly why he bought in for so much.

I’ve adopted the strategy of basically never raising OOP in PLO unless there is a decent chance the pot will end up heads-up (which is never at a full table).

While I certainly don’t think that’s an optimal strategy, position matters more in PLO than any game I’ve played.

I have a pretty tight image, so almost no one 3bets me without AAxx, but some players also hate limped pots, so they will raise if I don’t. What ends up happening is that I always have an uncapped range in multiway pots, while certain players allow me to narrow their ranges so that I can pick spots to make thin value bets, big laydowns, and bluffs on future streets.

It’s unlikely to be optimal and I am certain it doesn’t quite work at higher stakes, but it works for me and it’s allowed me to grind out a decent win-rate at small stakes PLO for a decent sample size with a shockingly consistent graph.

Last time I played 1/2 at the nug was great. It was during the 2019 wsop. I buy in for 200 and I’m the short stack. The guy on my left is a total hipster with the stache, eating his own bag of mixed nuts while ordering virgin bloody marys. Not a great player because he min 3bet me from the sb letting me in with my wheel suited ace. I hit a nut flush and stacked a lady who spazzed out with top pair. We end up chatting it up and he’s actually a fun guy. We both cash out over 1k and he suggests taking it to the pit to turn it 10k and we buy into the main event. One of my regrets is not taking that offer. Even tho it’s like lighting 1k on fire, what a story that could have been.

The Golden Nugget is my favorite place for dicking around at low stakes poker while drinking. I’m a tight drunk, so I don’t get into too much trouble.

Playing deep I’d about that, buying in for $5k at 1/2 is just about swinging your dick around.

1 Like

The greatest poker scene of all time

(you have to skip to 34:42)

https://abc.com/shows/flashforward/episode-guide/season-01/08-playing-cards-with-coyote

100% this.

99% of players who limp reraise mix in zero hands worse than kk+. It’s face up play. They also can’t fold that hand as they have waited for it for hours so I would be calling with 90%+ of my range preflop if we were thousands of blinds deep. He is giving you insane implied odds.

1 Like

Yo. Been a lurker here for a bit finally signed up from the old forum.

LRR strategies depend on how much of you stack (as a %) you can get in preflop. This applies to both PLO and NLHE. The more the better (since you expect to have the best of it range vs range).

A good rule of thumb for PLO is if you can create an SPR of 1 or less go for it with either a reraise or weird limp raise (or call/overcall raise) even if it apperent you have AAxx (they cant exploit you either way).

Example hand 2/5 PLO we have medium aces in the BB (Let’s say AA94 single)

UTG opens to 15. Three callers. If it’s on you if you have 2k eff it really isnt worth potting (which would be to 90 total 75 more). Your hand is face up (at least two of them are) and in love PLO games you get more of your value by “coolering” fish. Now fish shouldnt put in stacks with a raw J high flush but dont tell them. Likewise oversetting them on AJ7 etc…

If you expect to get called by 3 out of 4 opponents, pot would be 375 so potting playing 450 to start the hand or less is fine. You can shove a decent amount of boards (not all of them), be able to realise your equity by seeing all five community cards etc…

KK hand is pretty lol all around.

13 Likes

Some just have an insane run. Last year I saw a russian guy trying to do a br-challenge. It was pretty wild. He played everything and I mean everything(NLHE;PLO; FL; PLO8,NLO8, limit games). He scored some and went down hard the next day. And then came WCOOP. 3rd in 2k PLO8 for 29k, then winnining a 1k PKO for 175k, few more PLO8/NLO8 top3 finishes all in WCOOP events. Ofc he used that money to play all the hs stuff. Lost 3 buyins in the 10k 8game, 2 buyins in a 5k, another 10k buyin. Doesnt matter and he added another 2 SCOOP-H titles now. Must be nice to just not care and only play. SharkScope - Online- und Live-Poker-Statistiken

TrueGeordieTG

Doing a twitch stream and is 24/28 in a 1k SCOOP :grinning:

He usually does fight podcasts etc…a pure amateur the pokers, its a fun watch.

:grimacing:

1 Like