Poker Hands and Strategy

Fish always suck out. :grin:

Also what’s with the entomology fetish?

1 Like

bovada monthly milly today!

2 Likes

FUs Ima brag. Just won $2k on a jackpot spin at Ignition. The action in the spins is wild and sloppy. Beat one guy, then the other poor schmuck lost his connection and I stole all his blinds. Most I’d previously won was $45.

“20 fucking 5 to 1 my gambling days are done. Bet on a horse named A Bottle of Smoke and my horse won.”

15 Likes

1st round of Wiktor “Limitless” Malinowski vs Fedor Holz. Joey Ingram doing commentary

1 Like
3 Likes

There was a similar Andy vs Garrett hand on LATB where Garrett made the same fold, but after a bit more action, which is even more insane given that Andy is complete maniac compared to Hellmuth.

It’s really hard to evaluate since we can see Phil’s hand the whole time so we’re super biased but he immediately starts talking about the monster non nut hands he could have?

Hellmuth is a vpip 5% Uber super mega cash game nit. When he puts in a raise of 10x pot he has the nuts 99.9999999999999% of the time.

Yeah he check-reraises the moon and then is like “well, I COULD have a flush draw” winkwink. It’s a good fold but given all the other info it made all the sense.

I think it’s a fold, and it’s a good one, but not GOAT. Phil opened pre, then checks and re-raises a check raise? That’s the damn near nuttiest line ever. IIRC Phil has had some other extremely nitty plays in this show. Even if you put in flush draws and sets, it’s a SA/WB situation facing a massive overbet from a nit taking a nutty line.

Hellmuth is also not that strong of a cash player imo. Great tournament player, but he’s never seemed comfortable sitting on a 150-200bb stack. He’s not balanced here.

I hate his play, he has to lead this flop. He reps so many hands that can be blown away like QQ-AA, AJ, etc. He can dominate so many hands like JT, T9, T8 and etc that he can get in drawing damn near dead when they semi bluff.

After 30 years he still cant take a bad beat. That play is 100% him trying to avoid getting sucked out on.

2 Likes

Absolutely.

Thing is, in a tournament that might not be such a bad play? IDK, tournaments never been my thing.

1 Like

Is it just me or does it look like Hellmuth has a smile on his face the whole time?

No wonder he covers his face when his opponents tank. It seems like he really needs it.

Hellmuth is the quintessential fish. He just happens to be the one who plots way out on the long tail of luck. He is objectively bad at poker and has been for decades.

a 32 year run of luck huh?

Phil so often like snap shoves the nuts its hilarious it ever works tbh. You barely see that at a bad 2/5 game, but he’s been doing it on televised 6 figure buyins for 2 decades.

Hellmuth is good in large field MTTs, there is enough evidence there. He’s a whale in cash games in any half decent lineup.

Given the recent Polk fold, I feel this hand is a must post as well.

1 Like

The guy has 15 WSOP bracelets and he’s “objectively bad”?

I think the 15 brackets things is really weak evidence.

He has played in hundreds of wsop events. Almost certainly more than any other person. 9/15 of his bracelets predate moneymaker when fields were in the tens or hundreds and skill levels were medieval. His ME win had him best 178 people. The ones he won after moneymaker were large fields of low buying events. Everyone agrees he is good at one thing, manipulating his image to get bad players to punt off to him. I’ll concede this point.

On the other side you have thousands of televised hands where it’s legitimately difficult to find examples of really well played hands but ridiculously easy to find countless examples of objectively awful play. GTO objectively.

He is widely derided by the best players in the world. They all like him as a person but you can’t find an example of one who respects his play.

He is a massive loser in cash games based on hundreds of examples of tv play.

He acts like the worst 1/2 player you play with in terms of his mental game. Mental play is critical at the highest levels.

So in the end a case can easily be made he has run really well in wsop events only against the worst players and has one useful skill that gives him an edge in large field small buyin events.

Those who thinks he is good, would you bet on him against a field of other good players?

Is PH a good poker player

Yes

Is he Phil Ivey good

No.