Poker Hands and Strategy

I’m pretty sure the answer is that you should bluff less on the flop and fire a second barrel less often on the turn. I can’t tell you how much less, but my live poker style does some forcing players who are better at HU pots into multiway pots where they make mistakes by playing hands the same way they would against 2-4 callers as they do against 1 caller.

Instead of wanting to get called by worse hands than AK, I think you’re now looking to fold out hands like 66 when you bet, so you want to be sizing up, but people still overestimate how big they need to get and go closer to full pot when half pot might accomplish the same thing.

I’ve just never really learned to overbet pot. I think that was primarily an idea popularized by the use of solvers and I never used those, never used any training sites where coaches spread concepts learned from solvers, and ended up moving primarily to PLO.

I have a very tight image in live play. I went the opposite way and learned that people can overfold to smaller bets, so I learned to bluff at smaller bet sizes often meant to target any hand that beats my hand but not top pair.

I never needed to overbet to bluff people off of good hands. Sometimes, third-pot was sufficient to get a reg who feared me off of a straight or set when the flush card came.

Overbetting isn’t my style either–if I’m overbetting it’s very likely because you’re clearly a complete idiot (reg or fish).

cbetting was profitable in the old days because most players were fit or fold players, solvers have taken this to absurd levels so now nobody at least online is foolish enough to fold to a very small bet unless it’s the absolute worst.

“he has to pick a ton of hands with bad playability” it doesn’t matter with solvers they bet too small so you are effectively playing limit poker until the river

Lol Hold Em always and forever.

This is like 80% of live small stakes players still.

Basically every live vlogger is bad, at least some are entertaining.

2 Likes

Some of the vloggers are clearly knowingly playing suboptimally to create content. Sometimes, I almost want to create a poker vlog where the theme is that good poker is usually supposed to be boring.

The vlogger I am most interested in watching right now is RampagePoker because I’m trying to understand the psychology of players with his general style.

Odd question: what is the best (short) book for a beginner poker player? My eldest daughter is developing an interest, and I thought I might send her something to read.

I just got this message from a friend. Thoughts?

For a beginner I almost think it doesn’t matter. They’ll all cover the basics. Harrington, Miller, or maybe J Little should all be fine.

There is probably some youtube content they would connect with more tbh.

I’m wondering if she might connect more with a book by a female poker star. Are there any good poker books by women?

1 Like

Great book but doesn’t teach poker.

No, but it’s probably the best book for cultivating interest.

1 Like

True. It is really great. This one and the banker suicide king one about Beal are my two fav all time.

3 Likes

DNegs is playing in a chess tournament on Twitch. Lost his 1st game to XQC who might be the most subscribed on Twitch and had this famous blunder in a previous chess tournament

live sighting:

(i hit J diamonds on turn, don’t worry)

7 Likes

Hope you took all his chips