Poker Hands and Strategy

gl in the milly

1 Like

outta the mil. itm in the 150k

4 Likes

I can’t think of 2 prominent poker figures I’d root harder against than these two. I wish they could both lose and the rake win.

4 Likes

Session: +$255,722 over 1718 hands Total: +$1,200,000 over 25000 hands We won guys. We did it.

He gives an interesting summary of DN’s play here. I just really wish one of them wear some shirts with sleeves eventually.

5 Likes

Cliffs on Negreanu?

I never really followed poker beyond watching it on TV back when everyone did.

Did Negreanu actually put up his own money? I can’t imagine he would be able to get a staker to back him in something like this, but also does he really either (1) have $1 million to blow or (2) think he had a chance in this match?

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was all a marketing ploy and they were playing for like 1/100th the announced stakes.

He was a shill for PokerStars, while claiming to be an advocate for recreational players.

1 Like

He probably makes enough from GG that he could take a shot with his own money. That or GG partially backed him for the free advertising.

More rake is better.

Also, he’s a raging douche.

1 Like

Deep stacks, 6 online, anonymous tables
Limped to us in BB, Kd7h
Flop 8s6h5s
We check
EP bets 3bb
LP raises to 11bb

Draw or fold?

Negreanu doesn’t crush it online, but dude has been crushing it live for since before the poker boom. If you weren’t an absolute idiot (most were!), the ones famous during the boom made so, so much money. The TV pros all got invited to multiple tournaments a year with no entry fee with 6 or 7 figure top prizes!

While they definitely have their faults personality wise, I think Hellmuth and Negreanu have amassed close to generational wealth.

1 Like

If spiderman can make 30 million playing private games I’m sure Daniel did ok

That is a super easy fold:

There’s nothing in the pot.
The price is high and EP can still reraise.
You are drawing to a chop a big chunk of the time.
When you hit, it’s obvious and you probably wont get paid.
The 4 might be a doom card rather than an out.

3 Likes

Watching some more live vloggers. It seems they only down bet when they flop a monster on a dry board. Am I just not seeing the times they do it without a monster or is it still a good play because of the pot odds even if your opponent puts you on a strong hand?

I was more under the impression that they downbet on dry boards in general, not just monsters. You can give your opponent better pot odds on a dry board because there’s a lot less they can call you with. That’s at least the theory of downbetting, as I understand it, and I know a lot of them use training sites which suggest that tactic.

I watch a lot of poker vloggers and I’ll try to watch for someone who does this.

First hand of this vlog is a downbet:

Raise to 15. One caller. Kyle 3bets to 65 with AKo. Button calls, raiser and caller fold. Flop is Q22. Kyle downbets to 40 on a Q :diamonds: 2 :diamonds: 2 :clubs: flop. He says that his strategy is to downbet the flop and bet big on the turn, but he only bets 95 into 240 on a 4 :clubs: turn.

Let me know what you think of that play.

I don’t understand any poker strategy. So the button cold calls a 3b pre so his range is probably medium to strong pocket pairs, AK, AQ and maybe some other suited broadways. Betting small on the flop seems like it’s just building the pot when all we have are overs and there’s a good chance an A or K shuts then down. Betting small on the turn is even more strange to me. They’re still going to call with almost their entire range which is ahead of us imo. Unless the plan is to bomb the river?

With a dry flop, you down bet so that you can bet a wider range with more bluffs. Bluff isn’t the most accurate term because you’re not necessarily trying to get a better hand to fold, but there are a lot of hands that you have fold equity against and a smallish bet folds a lot of those hands out and a bigger bet doesn’t fold out significantly more hands. Betting also can block these hands from bluffing you if you check when you have decent equity and possibly the best hand.

In this particular hand, the villain’s most likely Qx hands might be AQ and KQ, so hero blocking those maybe makes AK a bet. I think you’re also trying to keep Ax hands in his range.

Once you down bet the flop, you’re looking at how the turn card changes range vs range equity. On a scare card that favors your range, you can bomb the turn and put pressure on Qx hands on that board. On a brick turn, the hand that is ahead is usually still ahead and maybe you bet smaller because your bluffs are trying to get them to fold their floating hands which probably didn’t pick up equity.

I don’t know whose range is favored on a diamond turn. Maybe you only continue your bluffs if you have a diamond blocker in your hand. I’ve never figured out the frequency for that because I only play live and the focus is on exploitative play, but I think I have a fumbling sense for what the shape of the GTO strategy probably looks like, so I’m not trying to exploit in the dark.

Following from that, if you get to the river, then your bet-sizing and whether you bet at all should be determined by how scary the river card is and whether it should scare you or your opponent more.

I’m sure there are poker coaches who understand this stuff more than me and can teach these concepts better. I’m just trying to come up with an explanation that helps me understand what I’m trying to do. I could be wrong about this.

1 Like

Ok sticking with the flop how does this change if at all if the original raiser calls making it 3 way?

It was really weird. He said he was going to bomb the turn…then he didn’t. Kyle’s a blogger who parrots language that he obviously picked up from training sites, but doesn’t quite seem to understand them fully. Maybe you are only supposed to bomb the turn or river on a scare card that favors your range and can get Qx hands to fold, while a smaller bet is correct if it can get hands in your opponent’s range that beat ace-high but not Qx to fold.

You’re supposed to want to reach the river with a range that includes backdoor club draws. I think this means that your turn bluffing range is supposed to include hands with big club blockers, in addition to diamond blockers, so I think AKo with a club might be a better candidate for betting than J :hearts: T :hearts:. There should be some hands that you just give up with on the turn, if you weren’t supposed to give up with them on the flop.