Poker Hands and Strategy

All of these seem totally standard to me with the exception of maybe leading the turn. The thing about that river on that board is that it’s very hard to find bluffs that Hero can have. Even a barely thinking 1/2 player can see that.

I guess my pool must really bias me. You are taking about 1/2 players who are not only paying attention at all to their opponents range but actually looking for plausible bluffs?

Those people make up far less than 1% of my pool. :man_shrugging:

Also you calling turn there with a flush draw and your opponent having $180 behind?

Their strategy isn’t to make a hand, it’s to bluff on an A/9. Which makes me doubt the validity myself, as it’s just a bad play in and of itself.

1 Like

Ok, I just need confirmation that I’m an idiot.

Crazy Alberta 1/3 game. Average stack is about $2k.

V1 ($2500) is the poster child for bad players. Raises essentially every hand pre. NEVER 3 or 4 bets pre, even with premiums. Calls to the river with any piece of the flop (or not) every time. He’s redistributed about 2500 of my dollars to the rest of the table playing this way. I am taking this with grace and style. Yup. It’s getting hard to smile and joke with him.

V2 ($650) is a solid, predictable, rock-type ABC player. When he 3-bets pre I put him on AA/KK 80%+ of the time. Maaaybe AK and QQ. Maybe. A touch timid and cautious, but not enough for it to handicap him too bad.

Hero ($1500) Probably viewed as laggy and overagressive. I’ve had AK/AQ flop TPTK literally about 15 times in the last 2 hours, betting hard every street, and calling small bets on the river, mucking to rivered 2 prs and straights. I have not had to show even once, and table probably thinks I’m a maniac. My bets are getting zero respect.

Action: V1 raises UTG to $15. 2 drooler mp callers. V2 3-bets button to $70. SB folds, hero is BB with Ah6h. I feel it’s unlikely that anyone after me will raise. Hero? I go into the tank on this one for 45 real seconds. An eternity for me. Keep in mind I really want to go get a coffee.

How do you expect the action to go on an ace-high flop? Which players do you expect to stack in flush vs flush?

Should have gotten the coffee before your big blind.

V2 is going to be driving the action. V1 goes passive postflop.

I’m not too concerned about an A high flop. V2 knows me well from previous (the only player at the table that I have history with). If I call his c-bet on an A flop, he will take his foot off the gas unless he has me beat.

Some context. V1 has called all-in on river, 4 flush board, TWICE without a flush. Once w/ 2pr, once w/ straight.

Seems like a trivially easy fold pre to me.

5 Likes

Why do you want to be a part of this hand?

Fold. Unless you hit a flush or 2-pair, not sure what you’re comfortable putting more money in the pot with. V2’s range has you crushed (including better aces). Even if V2 does shut down on A-high boards, you’ve got 3 other players that could have a better ace (I’m assuming a drooler that puts in 15 is going to call once two others call in front of him). Also, with V1 calling down everything, you can’t even really semi-bluff much. You’re also not deep enough to make this profitable IMO, even if you can easily out-play this post flop (assuming everyone calls, you have a SPR of about 2 - even if only V1 calls your SPR is only 3). Given you’re OOP, seems an easy fold.

I’d much rather play here with suited connectors/one-gappers than a bad suited ace.

I notice that when there is a really bad fish with a deep stack, some players decide to go after the fish by trying to play every pot against the fish. When you have multiple players doing this, the result often involves pushing money back and forth. They tend to get tunnel vision and forget about other players in the pot (like, say, me).

V1 is the most obvious fish, but the players who widen their ranges too much because they overestimate their post-flop ability have also become fish in this game. I would try to move to the immediate right of V1, so looks like you have a great seat.

Seems like the consensus is fold, which I did, but I think it’s closer than you guys think. It’s the only spot all day that I didn’t really know what to do, and I erred on the side of caution. I think if V2 has $1500 it becomes an easy call. This is a ridiculously deep game, V2 was the smallest stack at 220bb.

When V1 crashes, it’s going to be hard and fast. He has swung from $1000 to $22 (not a typo) to $7k, and is now at $2500. There is a time limit on those chips, they don’t have much of a half life. If I want a shot at them, I need to take some risks.

Edit: It’s also much easier to navigate post-flop when v2s hand is essentially face-up.

I don’t think you need to force things against this player. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn’t, then have faith in your ability to get his chips from other players. I see players spew because they feel entitled to the fish’s chips and get in bad spots.

You probably shouldn’t widen your preflop range too much unless you can get it heads-up or get in for really cheap, but should play looser postflop.

Since he raises a lot but doesn’t 3bet preflop and you’re to his right, did you limp-reraise any of those AK/AQ hands to squeeze the players calling his raises?

Yeah, no need to force it here. If he crashes and burns before you get him it’s whatever; it’s a 1/3 game and I assume most players suck. There’s not going to be shortage of good spots. You certainly want to get in a lot of pots with him, but in favorable conditions and the literal worst suited A OOP multiway is not favorable lol.

Didn’t have to. I had been so active, people were 3-betting me light to try and isolate V1 (who always called my raises.), so I was able to 4-bet pretty easily. Some of them I took down pre, some I lost at showdown. Not much in between. I did a lot of limp-calling 77 and 6s8s type hands.

I don’t even think about this spot, easy fold. You’re basically just praying to flush over flush someone here. Even if you connect with the flop you’re stuck playing top pair no kicker or a flush draw oop in a bloated pot against a super strong V2 range and other hands that can easily have you out kicked. If an A high flop gets checked through you’re still in a tricky spot that’s difficult to get much value from, an easy to make some bad calls, especially if you’re a bit tilty. Get outta there.

Have you tried to get a seat to this players left?! If no, why not?

Absolutely. The seats were locked up, everyone was reloading, nobody was leaving.

1 Like

Do you think you would have faced an annoying number of 4bets, given your image, if you had tried to get to the fish’s left and tried to iso?

I don’t think so. By this time I was well aware of my image, my opening range was tighter than a drum by now, and I would have been A-ok with getting 4-bet. Having position on this guy earlier would have saved/made me a PILE of $ I think.