Poker Hands and Strategy

It’s a fine play for Villain to c/r this spot for value if he has a straight. He wins more from AK because it will usually bet and sometimes hero call the shove, and he wins a lot more from AQ, and that is by far the most likely holding to take Hero’s line. Also bluffs. People do play flush draws with bet check bet lines.

1 Like

1/3 effective $900

Hero in double straddle for $12 with AKcc

Folded to CO who raises to $30

BB calls

Hero raises to $75

Call
Call

Flop KdJd6c

Check
I bet 100
Call
Call

Turn 4s
Checked around (I am scared of old guy in Bb who has over called twice. A couple hands early it was limped to him like 4 ways and he opens for $50 and when folded to proudly shows KK)

River 2c

Check check CO bets $250
Fold
Hero?

Why this preflop sizing? Standard in that spot is $120 to $150. The river is a value bet too.

As played, I think you pretty much always have the best hand and should just jam for value. Your line has the advantage of looking really weird and can induce a confusion call from KQ here.

Agree I sized too small preflop. For my game $150 seems too high but $100ish is probably better.

I would have done more preflop and more postflop.

As played, I probably just call here. Feel like you aren’t getting called by much that you have beat, nor are you forcing many folds by hands that beat you.

how exactly am I supposed to adjust HU to someone 3 betting 30+ bb’s into my min raises?

effective stack sizes were me ~60 bb’s and him 30-40 when he started doing this.

Villain is a thinking rec but tends to fold far too much to aggression and when checking usually has given up. When he starts feeling like he’s being steamrolled (usually he is) he starts this preflop shoving behavior. All of a sudden decent hands like J9s on the button are a bit annoying to me, I definitely want to try to see a flop and don’t want to fold to a 3 bet. Do I limp a wider range? That’s what I ended up doing and it seemed to work.

I know I can call off a little lighter if I want but I was really reluctant to flip for so much tournament equity when he was so extremely easy to play against postflop. there’s a big jump in prize from 2nd to 1st.

If you make it 120+ pre you can blast that wet flop for 250 and feel fine jamming that turn. 75 is way too small, especially after a flat. 100 on flop is also too small and leads to you letting them see a super cheap river when they probably have a load of outs combined.

Getting weirded out by the old guy who has shown a tendency to overbet his big hands because he called twice seems wrong since I would peg that guy for a flop c/r with every hand that beats you on that board.

As played just call river imo.

1 Like

I think this is exactly the adjustment to make. I would only raise with hands I want to GII pre with, otherwise I’m trying to see flops in position as cheaply as possible.

1 Like

That’s a good argument for the higher preflop raise. I think this might be a leak in my game. I play very laggy so want to bet a lot of flops which forces me to use smaller sizes than I probably should since I am bluffing so much.

I did call and CO turned over JJ for set.

It depends on how often he is jamming. If it’s not way too frequently, you still want to have the weaker part of your raising range. Def turn all your stronger r/fs into limps.

3 Likes

I can come up with something, but maybe it would involve villain being a bad player or having a tell or it being a tournament or a heads-up game.

Multi-way to the flop, villain bets with a range of made hands top pair or better plus some draws in a pot that is protected by being multi-way on a wet board. Hero is the only caller. Turn is a brick. Villain bets turn with a range of most made hands trying to deny equity against draws plus some draws, so turn checking range is draw-heavy. River brings in both the flush and the most obvious straight draw while not changing top pair. Hero has the nut flush. If villain is the sort to just call a river bet, bet if checked to, and might bet-call against a river check-raise, then going for a check-raise on the river is the correct play.

I wouldn’t be that scared of the old guy in BB. He seems like the sort who would never slowplay two pair or a set on that flop because he’d be too afraid of letting the possible draws get there. Checking the turn feels weak-tight.

I’m gonna disagree with this, if villain suspects I’m taking a pot control check turn, bet river line, which I think is pretty normal when there’s one to a straight on the turn, there is a ton of value in a river check raise, blowing up a pot he knows I don’t want getting blown up. He reraises light and has more straights than I do in this spot. I don’t know why you think if I checked turn I’m automatically checking the river. Deep stacked poker there’s lots of turn checks to control the pot, especially against really good players, which leads to some interesting river bet sizing when such a good chunk of my range checks this turn. I think I should have sized up the river bet to polarize it more between bluffs and value bets, or mostly just check it back.

Anyway I agree with ATC’s analysis of the hand

A pot-control line is often a decision to go for two rather than three streets of value. Recognizing that they have decided to go with flop and river as their value streets rather than flop and turn is a useful skill. (For some reason, many players don’t seem to consider checking flop when going for two streets of value).

Right, it’s also a good skill to know when someone is taking a pot control line and shove it in their face

That is something that I acknowledge is a flaw in my game. I don’t overbet pot in general, which is why limit and pot limit games are attractive to me in general. I don’t rely on live reads to just bluff with any two cards; I always need relevant blockers to give me the confidence to run a big bluff.

I also am at least somewhat balanced and take pot control lines with some of my strong hands so that someone occasionally gets punished for shoving it in my face. (Not perfectly balanced, just balanced enough that they can’t assume my range is capped.) Maybe it’s bad that I’ve taught regs with some LAG tendencies to be more cautious when I am in the pot, but I’m not sure how else to play.

The scariest NL players are the ones who put you in spots to call off 300 or 400 bb with top pair with a balanced range, as villain likes to do, as most people are over folding river

Against those players, I try to be the scariest one to try and put in those spots by being more likely to have hands better than one pair there. If I’m capable of having a straight on the turn, I’m checking behind with some fraction of them.

1 Like

Fair enough, but consistently slow playing monster hands to keep everything in your range is most likely a big leak

1 Like

Not to mention he is a massive nit so like 75% of hands are never in his range.

3 Likes