Poker Hands and Strategy

I’m genuinely curious as I respect your comments. Is your limping frequency literally 0% in this situation?

Also, I would never use donkament winnings in a vacuum as evidence of a great player. Jamie Gold say hi! I was using it as supplement to my claim he is the best player in the field. If you polled our local player pool I would put the line at top 3 is where his name ends up in a poll of best players.

I don’t really play tournaments, but yea, 0% in NLHE that shallow. I don’t try to wizard it up the few times that I play HE. You can just print playing boring ABC at stakes up to 2/5 nearly everywhere.

But maybe the stakes don’t matter to the guy and he’s just trying to have fun? Last time I played 1/2 with a friend I had a 100% PFR / 100% VPIP.

I don’t try to understand the no limit wizards. I mainly just laugh.

1 Like

Fair points.

I think he would say that as a bit of wild loose aggressive player he mixes in limps with 85 and AA to balance. I wish I’d asked him. Maybe he does say it was just a mistake. When we chatted about the hand we only talked about the turn.

Funny thing is my bluff worked even though I had completely misread the situation. As you said, lol donkamemts.

If I’m going to have a 10% raise frequency with a very shitty hand like 62s, that 10% is definitely not going to include “after the best player in the field limps and there is a megadonk in the SB.”

3 Likes

Interesting. Can you say why? That dynamic is exactly why I did it. As v2 limp was so unusual I guessed it was due to v1 being in the blind so I raised not with the intention of hitting my hand (although that would have been nice) but with the intention of double stealing from v2 when he made a move on v1. Probably fancy play syndrome but the fact v2 can fold made me do it! :grin:

I would guess of my 10% preflop raises with 62hh, 9.9% are when there are two Bruce’s in the blinds I can just win from preflop. I am guessing that is your thinking too?

Whats wrong with having 0% raise frequency with 62s?

That specific hand, nothing. 0% raise frequency with trash in late position to a limper seems weak no?

No. I think you overestimate your ability to make chips with extremely wide range.

Very likely as being too loose is for sure my main leak. I over justify it sometimes for sure but for me as a rec player who likes to be in the mix it’s less fun playing tight.

Yeah, that seems like super FPS. You are bluffing and your results will be heavily impacted by the odds of taking it down pre, which is very rarely happening in this scenario. You also have the equity of setting up a bluff later, but having very little immediate equity and low showdown equity makes it tough to be +EV overall.

1 Like

I also dislike using “megadonk” as a decision to play extremely bad range. You take advantage of megadonks by playing a better range than they do. Not by playing 62 vs his 95

2 Likes

What if I told you that Helmuth has $17m in winnings? (I see Jonny already beat me to that thought.)

1 Like

Sure I agree in principal. But if someone like Bruce is in blinds you are not massively increasing you preflop raise range to damn near any two? That wasn’t this spot so your point holds, just making a general counterpoint.

I’d tell you I have seen both v2 and hellmuth play hundreds of hands and I would snap take v2 in any field. :grin: as already noted, nobody here is level one enough to think total winnings alone is sufficient evidence of skill.

While I appreciate the jab, but nbz will not be labeled as a megadonk or the label is useless.

1 Like

I can be kind of sticky in the BB. Anyways, V1 sounds nothing like me and he was in the sb.

1/2 hand ~1.5k effective (lol UK games)

Young kid who has been semi splashy raises to 6 from CO I can’t tell yet if he’s a GTO guy who doesn’t always apply it or a crazy person or something in-between he’s definitely active.
Cutoff calls
I 3 bet Ac Qd to 32 on the button the kid has shown down 63hh as a caller of a 3 bet previously so this is purely for value

Fish cold calls from BB

Kid 4! To 125

I call, could fold here but with the fish cold calling oop I figure the kid can 4! Bluff here super profitably if I’m folding hands this strong.
Fish calls

Flop As Td 3s

Check check check
I think under repping here is fine but in retrospect a bet would’ve helped

Turn Kc

Fish checks kid bets 100
I call
Fish folds

Pot is ~ 580
River Ks
Kid thinks for a while then goes all in for ~800 I cover

I have the perfect bluff catcher but should I pull the trigger?

Interesting hand. Couple errors in the HH. You say CO raises and then CO calls. Guessing HJ is the 4betting kid and CO was some random caller to the first raise who folds to the 4bet? The other thing I saw was that the stacks in the betting don’t add up to 1.5k effective, more like 1k effective.

Anyway, him betting quarter pot ott seems weak with the fish in the hand and draws on board, but I guess he could have got there on the river with a random King or some spades he was planning to check/shove otf. What makes this tough is I feel like your entire range for this line is AQ. So that would mean you’re supposed to call sometimes, like when you have the Queen of spades, and fold others.

If you just want a soul read, I dunno, call. His line looks fishy.

I’d think you don’t want the Qs in your hand so that you don’t block him bluffing with the nut flush blocker.

I don’t see how he has offsuit Qx in his preflop range, other than AxQs which there are two combos of and most likely just take their showdown value. Maybe KxQs or QsJx, but those beat AQ.